Major dates in Novel-verse/Relaunch

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Little_kingsfan, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Hi, everybody,

With all this free time on my hands, I've been rereading a bunch of my Star Trek books (particularly the Relaunch stuff). Unfortunately, my attempts to catalog characters and events, especially in chronological order, is hindered by the dates - or lack thereof - used in story. Now, both Unity and Worlds of Deep Space Nine: Dominion both have timelines broken down into the 12 months of the year 2376, which is very helpful - thanks to the authors and editors who set that up! - but I'm wondering if the authors or any other readers happen to know, even approximately, when certain major events take place. Specifically, I'm wondering when the first S.C.E. adventure, The Belly of the Beast, takes place (is that January 2376?), as well as the U.S.S. da Vinci's deadly encounter at Galvan VI as seen in Wildfire. I know it doesn't work out as well, but I also use the release dates (more or less) for the Star Trek: A Time to... adventures, with A Time to Be Born taking place in January 2379 and concluding with A Time for War, a Time for Peace in September (but then, that one doesn't work given that Min Zife's resignation date was given as November 9, 2379 in Collateral Damage), and I believe most of The Fall works with the release dates as well, from August to December 2385. Meanwhile, the first few TNG relaunch stories (Resistance, Q & A, Before Dishonor, and Greater Than the Sum) take place in January, March, June, and July of 2380, respectively, before jumping to Star Trek: Destiny in February 2381, culminating in the final showdown on February 9.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, everybody!

P.S.: I'm writing this after 1:00 AM and just before bed, so any mistakes or incoherencies can be fixed in the morning or early afternoon by the time I come back to this.

Markonian and Jinn like this.
  2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

You might be interested in Voyages of Imagination, a reference book that contains a very precise timeline including all novels and such up to 2006 when it was published. Though not all stories are assigned precise dates, they are put in a correct order.

Other official timelines were also published in Wounds, Book 2 which contained an SCE timeline, No Limits, which contained a New Frontier timeline and Enterprises of Great Pitch and Moment, containing a timeline of the exploits of the Enterprise-E, although unlike the SCE timeline this last one is only an order of events and doesn't assign specific months and dates to any novels.

The timeline from Wounds places The Belly of the Beast in January and Wildfire somewhere after the beginning of May and the end of July.

[QUOTEI believe most of The Fall works with the release dates as well, from August to December 2385.[/QUOTE]
    The Fall novels are dated almost annoyingly precise, they take place from August 22 to October 27. You can check the start and end dates of each novel in the historian's notes section in the amazon preview.

Yep, that tracks, I think.

As for other major events, the Prey trilogy takes place from March-April 2386, the Prometheus trilogy covers October 26-December 5 2385, the Cold Equations trilogy spans January-July 2384, the Typhon Pact duology Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn covers a period from April 2382-September 2383 (with the big thing people remember that duology for happening in August 2383) and Paths of Disharmony takes place in October 2382.

Generally the years after 2376 and before 2385 are much lighter on content, than 2376 with its dozen DS9 novels, fifty SCE novellas and a complete season of Voyager, so getting stuff in chronological order gets easier as you go along :) Until you reach fall 2385, that is.

Markonian and ryan123450 like this.
  3. Little_kingsfan

Thanks for the help. Regarding the SCE timeline, is that one just in the Wounds, Book 2 e-book or is it also in the trade (which is what I have and can't seem to find)?

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Quark going out with Ro for the first time was a major date.

Ketrick, XCV330, TheAlmanac and 4 others like this.
  5. Little_kingsfan

Adding on to my "When did this happen?" inquiry about the SCE series, was Captain David Gold assigned to the da Vinci in 2370 or 2373? I think 2373 was the first year an SCE flashback mission took place (with Gold in command and Cmdr. Salek and Lt. Cmdr. Duffy in charge of the SCE team itself), but I also recall that Capt. Gold transferred from another ship (that he was serving on with Dr. Pulaski) a year after that mission, which was in 2370. Can anybody confirm this date (and if you happen to know when Salek/Duffy/any other crewmember joined the da Vinci before the events of The Belly of the Beast, that'd be great!)?

6. Little_kingsfan

Another series I'm looking for some confirmation on is Star Trek: Titan, specifically Taking Wing and The Red King. I have a note that says that Taking Wing starts approximately one month after Nemesis and the last (few) chapter(s) of The Red King take place on New Years' Day 2380, but given that it was later established that Data died on December 13th, I have the start date listed as December 15th, giving events of the two books approximately two and a half weeks to play out.

Fortunately, the rest of the series is pretty good with historian's notes: Orion's Hounds takes place about a month after The Red King (the historian's note says late February through late March 2380), and Sword of Damocles is three months after that (so approximately June-July 2380). It jumps ahead to February 2381 for Destiny; Over a Torrent Sea starts a week after Destiny (mid-late February) and runs through August 4, Synthesis is in September of that year, Seize the Fire jumps to August 2382, and Fallen Gods is two/three months after that, in November 2382. We don't see anyone on Titan again (other than Alyssa Ogawa in the semi-defunct Indistinguishable from Magic) until The Poisoned Chalice (The Fall, Book 4), which takes place in September 2385. After that, we have Absent Enemies and Takedown (both November 2385, with Absent Enemies first), Sight Unseen (January 2386), The Prey three-part series (February, March, and April 2386, respectively), and finally Fortune of War (September-October 2386).

Again I hope this helps!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Are the SCE books good comparing to the other relaunch novels?

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Regarding the S.C.E. timeline.....

Captain Gold's previous command, the Progress, was being decommissioned in 2370. It isn't established when, exactly, he took command of the da Vinci, as we kept that vague until we needed to establish it for a story (which we never did need to do, as it happens). Figure it was some time around 2371 or 2372 that the four Saber-class ships da Vinci, Musgrave, Khwarizimi, and T'Pora were assigned to the S.C.E. and Gold took command then.

The early stories take place in early 2376, with Cold Fusion and Invincible taking place between Avatar Book 2 and Abyss. The next batch of stories all take place over the course of the rest of 2376, through to Wounds. The stories after that cover nine months -- the term of Lense's pregnancy -- with the final batch of stories taking place in early 2377 some time.

TheAlmanac and Markonian like this.
  9. Little_kingsfan

So say The Belly of the Beast through Interphase take place around March 2376, with maybe each of the trade paperbacks taking place every month or so (other than Foundations, which was largely based in the 2260s)? Therefore, Have Tech, Will Travel and Miracle Workers would span March through April, Some Assembly Required would take place in May, No Surrender in June, and the framing story of Foundations as well as Wildfire (which includes War Stories set during the Dominion War) in July. The other stories, Breakdowns, Aftermath, Grand Designs, Creative Couplings, and Wounds take us from August through December, just in time for Lense's pregnancy, with Out of the Cocoon, What's Past, and the individual Corps of Engineers books (Turn the Page through Remembrance of Things Past) all taking place in 2377. Does that work or is it too spaced out or too fast paced?

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Actually, my timeline that appeared in Wounds, which I still have the original Word file of, breaks 2376 down.

Janurary-April: The Belly of the Beast through to Invincible
    May-July: The Riddled Post through to the beginning of Breakdowns
    August: the end of Breakdowns through to Buying Time
    September: Collective Hindsight through to the beginning of Grand Designs
    October-November: the rest of Grant Designs through to Spin
    December: Creative Couplings through to Wounds

11. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One question... where is it stated that Data's death in Nemesis occurred on "December 13th"? I've never seen that anywhere before.

Going by standard stardate conversion, Nemesis takes place on and around November 5th, 2379...

12. Little_kingsfan

According to Collateral Damage, Lt. Cmdr. Data was killed in action on December 12 (not 13, my bad), 2379 (and was resurrected on January 16, 2384, as chronicled in The Persistence of Memory).

13. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you. I'm still behind on the novels after The Fall, so I hadn't seen that in Collateral Damage yet.

I'll think for me, personally, I'll stick with November, which fits better with the timeline as given in ATfWATfP, AotF, and Taking Wing. Don't know why it would've been shifted, but it's always been somewhat ambiguous.

Jinn likes this.
  14. Little_kingsfan

I've just started rereading Star Trek: Vanguard this weekend, and while I know each of the eight books is set in terms of years, I was wondering if anybody (authors?) know approximately which month (or full date would be even better) each story takes place during?
    • Harbinger: 2265 (prologue 2263)
    • Summon the Thunder: 2266
    • Reap the Whirlwind: 2266
    • Open Secrets: 2266
    • Precipice: 2267
    • Declassified: 2267/2268 (with a lot of flashbacks!)
    • What Judgments Come: 2268
    • Storming Heaven: 2268
    And I'm also pretty sure the four Seekers novels all take place in 2269, but again, I don't know the months/dates.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this!

15. Jinn

My time has come!!!!

• 2259: Declassified: The Ruins of Noble Men: ch. 2, 4, 6, 8
    • 2263: Harbinger: prologue
    • 2265: Declassified: Almost Tomorrow
    • Oct 2265: Harbinger: ch. 1-20, epilogue
    • Nov 2265: Summon the Thunder
    • Jan-Fen 2266: Reap the Whirlwind
    • Feb 2266: Declassified: Hard News
    • Feb-March 2266: Open Secrets: ch. 1-19
    • Apr 2266: Open Secrets: ch. 21-27
    • Mai 2266: Open Secrets: ch. 28-31
    • Nov-Dec 2266: Open Secrets: ch. 32-50
    • Feb 1-26 2267: Precipice: Ch. 2-13
    • Mar 22, 2267: Precipice: Ch. 14
    • Mar 23, 2267: Open Secrets: prologue, epilogue
    • Mar 23, 2267: Precipice: ch. 15
    • May 26-Jun 5, 2267: Precipice: ch. 16-23
    • Jul 24-21, 2267: Precipice: ch. 24-26
    • Jul 30-Aug 3, 2267: Precipice: ch. 27-33
    • Aug 19-24, 2267: Precipice: ch. 34-36
    • Sep 2-14, 2267: Precipice: ch. 51, 37-50, 52
    • Nov 19, 2267: Precipice: ch. 53
    • Dec 28-29, 2267: Precipice: ch. 54-60
    • Jan 2268: Declassified: The Ruins of Noble Men: ch. 1, 3, 5, 7 ,9
    • Feb 2268: Declassified: The Stars Look Down
    • ending in Oct 2268: What Judgments Come: ch. 1-39
    • Oct 2268: In Tempest's Wake: Ch. 3
    • Nov-Dec 2268: Storming Heaven: ch. 1-15
    • Dec 2268: In Tempest's Wake: ch. 5
    • Dec 2268: Storming Heaven 16-35
    • Dec 2268: In Tempest's Wake: ch. 7, 9-10
    • Jan 2269: In Tempest's Wake: ch. 1-2, 4, 6, 8, 11
    • Apr 2270: What Judgments Come: prologue, epilogue
    • Apr 2270: Storming Heaven: prologue, epilogue
    Some notes:
    I seem to be missing chapter 20 of Open Secrets, IIRC it could be grouped with either chapter 19 or 21, so I didn't want to place it down with either.

I never managed to properly analyse What Judgments Come, hence why I'm missing more detailed info on it, but it spans multiple months.

Chapter 1 of Precipice is missing, IIRC I decided to go against the date in the title for that chapter, as moving it a bit back solves a lot of internal chronology problems, but I seem to have not noted the placement I inteded for it.

The ending point of Vanguard is a bit ambiguous. My ending date of December 2268 is based on what I got from reading the Vanguard novels, but from what I heard from people who read Seekers, those novels imply February 2269 as the ending of Vanguard.

Leto_II likes this.
  16. Little_kingsfan

So, in other words:
    • Harbinger: October 2265
    • Summon the Thunder: November 2265
    • Reap the Whirlwind: January-February 2266
    • Open Secrets: February-December 2266
    • Precipice: February-December 2267
    • What Judgments Come: February/March-October 2268
    • Storming Heaven: November-December 2268
    • In Tempest's Wake: 2269 (along with some jumping around)
    • Epilogue: April 2270
    What about Distant Early Warning or the approximate months of Seekers? Also, did I miss anything?

17. Jinn

Yup, that's pretty much it.
    Since it's the only SCE/VAN story in that timeframe it's really hard to put a month on it. My timeline is stardate-based, and I'd think that The Captain's Oath, being written by Christopher probably can be somehow nailed down to the months it's set in, so maybe using that we can at least narrow down when Distant Early Warning takes place, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

The first two novels are explicitely set in August 2269. The third and fourth ones are five months after "Turnabout Intruder", so that's a bit more ambigous. I kinda remember a June date for "Turnabout Intruder", that I think comes vaguely from Assignment: Eternity, so with that we'd get November, but that's based on my generally bad memory :D

Well, you skipped the Declassified stories, and Agents of Influence, which is another novel written by Dayton Ward featuring the Endeavour that just came out and is set three months after the last Seeker novel. There is also the SCE stories Foundations, Book One and Two and Where Time Stands Still, all of which feature the USS Lovell. I got Foundations, Book One in 2263, Foundations, Book Two in January 2267 and Where TIme Stands Still in generic mid 2268.

But as for the core Vanguard series, you pretty much got it all (minus Declassified).

18. Little_kingsfan

I'm just double-checking, but Open Secrets takes place from February to May 2266, then jumps ahead to November? I know it took place over a number of weeks (there was a mention of it starting something like three weeks after Reap the Whirlwind and it took a while for R-Adm. Nogura to arrive, not to mention the five-week journey from Starbase 47 to Vulcan that Dr. M'Benga and Tim Pennington undertook along with the comatose Lt. Cmdr. T'Prynn), but I didn't notice when the huge time gap took place. Can you confirm please?

Thanks again for your help.

19. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sometimes I'll check Memory Alpha to see when a book supposedly takes place (at least what year). That might help along the line if you're just trying to figure out what year a particular book takes place.

I mean, if you're looking for multiple books it's probably more of a pain to look each up, and if you're reading the relaunch novels in chronological order it might be hard to get that from Memory Alpha. However, I will say it does seem when it comes to TNG, DS9, Titan and books associated with those series they seem to go in general order by their release dates for the most part.

Voyager is a bit different because that series fell behind on the years (but then you can just read the Voyager relaunches by themselves in release order, at least once Kirsten Beyer picked them up).

20. Jinn

The time jump is necessitated by early references to the previous novel ("three weeks later") and later references to the TOS episode "Arena", which Precipice firmly places in the November/December region.

There is some debate over when exactly the jump occurs, I have opted for it to occur early in the novel, others (I believe @Idran?) only place a few chapters in November.