Mad Men

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Sep 15, 2009.

1. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I rented the first season from the library. I've enjoyed the first 6 eps so far. It is wonderfully nuanced and every time I pick on something new, I fell rewarded for it.

Oddly enough, I'm liking Pete Cambell better than Don (as a person) because Don is such a dick to him all the time. Not to say that Pete has been a shining knight these first six eps, but he is just a kid with eyes bigger than his stomach.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Speak for yourself. Just this morning I had to decide whether or not to execute the leader of a rebellion aboard my starship.

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I like Pete better than Don. It's not so odd. Some folks can really identify with how awkward Pete feels, especially when the older guys mock him for being a rich man's son. Kartheiser is extremely talented at projecting Pete's feelings of unease, while Don is handsome and slick with so many gifts. I think it was Matt Weiner who called it a "vulnerable yet slimy quality" that Pete projects.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

LOL! :lol:

Thanks I needed that after a long day of work. Plus I was not sure if my point was clear in my post. But you nailed the point I was trying for.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Keep watching, I'm pretty sure your opinion of Pete will change. Pete has no conscience what so ever.

6. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Pete's a little douchebag of a weasel. He backstabs, plots, schemes and rapes (or at least intimidates into sex). The only thing he has going for him is that he looks harmless, suckering people into feeling sympathetic for poor little self-centered him.

Don may have low family morals, but he's an overall decent guy. Adultry and drinking was all but the norm amongst influential men during that age (as if it isn't now). The lying about his identity bit is the only big thing in his life, and that was mostly done out of necessity than malice.

Pete is anything but decent.

7. exodus

Not to mention the heartless way he treated his wife upon finding out she was barren and he wasn't. He's got no redeemable qualities what so ever. He isn't even that great at his job.

Don's qualities good and bad allow him to be the top dog in his field of business. Don's proven he's worth every penny and saw great potential in Peggy, while Pete went out of his way to put her down.

8. Dick Whitman

I am the only one who thinks Pete's wife Trudy is the hottest woman on the show?

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the latest episode was amazing. Not so much because Don confessed to Betty about his past, but because Roger didn't cheat on his new wife when there was a clear opportunity.

10. exodus

Yes.:lol:

Seriously, I think Trudy falls into my "cute" catagory.
    I find Betty & Joan way hotter.

I think Peggy has great eyes, I just find her nose distracting.

11. Dick Whitman

Fair enough. I should never have said "hottest" anyway. I always prefer the cute ones.

12. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Can't wait til Pete finds out that Don Draper thinks his wife is hot. That ought to put the little twerps mind at ease! :evil:

13. exodus

Fair enough.;)

14. Dick Whitman

Oh and I have thing for brunettes. I approve of my name sake's choice of the school teacher!

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Well I think BSG had some relatable relationship drama and it certainly had a lot of political discussions so I found it to be a s rich as Mad Men but in a different way.

This week's episode was amazing and Jon Hamm gave one hell of a performance.

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This show is very layered. It improves on multiple viewings. Having said that, by the fourth episode, if you don't like it you should probably get out.

I do find myself skipping past the Betty Draper scenes when I rewatch. She's quite a shrew. I enjoy Peggy and Joan quite a bit...

Ultimately though, I love the scenes at Sterling Cooper because even though I know it's fiction there's a lot of detail and flavor in the sets/costumes and I'm fascinated at how people would do business like that 50 years ago. Having a career in sales or advertising (I'm in design) and the show is crack addictive. My marketing buddies and a couple of retail district manangers... they all live, breathe, eat and sleep this show.

Ohhh... I think there will be lots of fallout in the final two...

17. where'sSaavik?

where'sSaavik? Vice Admiral Admiral

Then you should check her out in NBC's community. This last week's Halloween episode had her in a skin tight black outfit. ;)

Last week's episode of Mad Men was probably the best the series has given us so far. The show has been building up to Betty learning Don's secret for over 2 years now, and they did not disappoint. Great job writing the sequence, and excellently executed by Jon Hamm and January Jones (this ep will be the clip they both give for Emmy consideration I'm sure).

I'm really looking forward to see how they handle the JFK assassination. They've been alluding to it all season long (Roger's daughter's rehearsal dinner is scheduled for the day of the assassination). It seems like they may be setting it up that Kennedy's death will play out metaphorically as Don's fall from power.

Thoughts?

18. exodus

OOooo, clever.

I hadn't considered that....

19. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

i couldn't agree more about how amazing the last ep was. Don and Betty's scenes were what good tv is all about imo.

20. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. One of the best so far. I just hope this show can maintain its quality for at least one more season.