LOTR Trilogy (theatrical version) on Blu-ray in 2010

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Dec 14, 2009.

1. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering that I spent $40 on the EE's already and the fact that I'll probably never watch them again, I'll spring for the TE boxset. Realistically, it's really the only one I'd watch or watch with wife and/or friends! It also doesn't seem that naughty considering I'm only ditching 3 regular dvds for it! :D

EDIT: I also think the Theatrical cuts are the FAR superior cut of the film. I understand the EE's being the bee's knees for big Tolkien fans; however, they are certainly not paced as well as the already long Theatrical versions.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The theatrical releases were too long, especially the Return of the King. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see any more. Someone gave me the dvd set as a gift and I have to say they don't bear re-watching more than once.

3. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well I caved and pre-ordered the trilogy yesterday, even though I know I'll also be getting the extended editions. :p

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

DVD Talk has a review up:
    not the one you thinK.....on Blu-ray
    Ralph Bakshi's animated take on The Lord of the Rings (1978)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41487/lord-of-the-rings-the/

Don't be mistaken, it's an animated film from the 1970s.

5. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can you imagine if they just put all three movies together for the blu ray editions, making them as one film as intended? That would be a neat option.

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's bad, but it's still better than the rather dreadful animated version of The Hobbit, which is still better than the impressively abysmal animated Return of the King.

I think it is better for all concerned we pretend LOTR was never animated.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Kegg, some of us have great fondness for the Rankin-Bass animated films. I mean, "Frodo of the Nine Fingers"! I love that song! :lol:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ecch. I would definitely not go for that! The EE's are long enough as it is. :lol:

And I will definitely wait for the EE's on Blu-Ray. It's tempting to jump in now, but they ain't gonna double-dip me! :p

9. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Allyn, if the internet has taught me anything, it's that somewhere, somehow, everything has a devoted fanbase.

I did find the Rankin-Bass films hilariously dire, though, they're 'so-bad-it's-good' worthy of the good old fashioned MST3K treatment.

10. KB24

Am I right in seeing that these theatrical editions have no new features? It looks like all the stuff from the theatrical DVDs. Even if there are digital copies of all three films included, $100 is still a bit steep for nothing new.And not just no new features, but broken promises of more features.

If my husband wants the set, he'll get it because he's a collector, but everybody and their grandma is screwing with the buyers here. Eh. In some ways, I'd rather they do the movies individually in both editions. Fellowship Theatrical or Extended, your choice!

Otherwise I have to say I don't get the notion of theatrical on blu-ray. If your casual enough to only like the theatricals, why would you care how they look on blu-ray?

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ But the trilogy isn't $100, Amazon is selling it for $63.99 at the moment.

12. KB24

At the moment? What's it going to in stores I wonder? And I suspect this is going to be like the EE box set. $80 when it first came out, now you can get it used for $20. Why would a casual fan pick this up when they can get the theatrical dvds individually for under $5? Sometimes I just feel that the distributors know they are marketing to the fans who will double dip, and aren't really pursuing other audiences. A little unfair when you are just doing the carrot on a stick.

13. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fry's Electronics is advertising that in-store it will be $59.99.

Honestly, for a 9-disc blu-ray set, I wouldn't expect the set to go that much cheaper. That's under $7 per blu-ray.

Orren

14. Training

Training Commander

Any chance the fx will be updated? I have all the EEs but I haven't bothered to watch in a while. I'm assuming that after 9 years Gollum probably looks crap compared to what we have today,

15. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I find this highly preposterous. The hallmark features of Blu-Ray movies are high-def picture quality, superior sound, and extended features. These greedy companies are releasing the "bare bones" editions and "super fabulous deluxe collector's" editions of Blu-Rays as if they were DVDs. Although BD prices have come down a little bit ($20 - $25 for new releases), let's face it, they're still more expensive than DVDs. People are still paying more to get the superior audiovisual quality and special features ... So why are consumers getting screwed? If you check out Amazon.com, people are giving it the lowest rating out of contempt.

16. KB24

My points exactly Drone. They are solely milking die hard fans and collectors. A layman fan can pickup any of the theatricals with the same wimpy features for under $5. If there had been any new features this would have been worthwhile but not for the exact same dvds I already own.

17. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

hopefully the product wont sell and the people in charge will learn a lesson about trying to abuse the customers

18. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I suspect that the EE's will come out just prior to the release of the Hobbit movie

19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is wrong with you people. Seriously.

Are studios supposed to give discounts because sets already exist in other formats? Seriously. Is that what your complaining about.

I mean did you bitch as much when you purchased something you owned on VHS in the DVD format, even though they offered no significant change besides increase visual and audio.

You people are acting up like WB/NL is coming to your home with shotguns and making you buy something you already have.

If you don't want it don't frigging buy it. But stop frigging complaining that they are making it available for those who might want it.

The price most will pay between 18 - 25 dollars per film. How is that too expensive.

Lord do any of you remember when Khan and Motionless Picture came out and retailed on VHS for $99.99? You had to wait for a like a year before they dropped the price of the same material down to $29.99.

For people to judge a business, a business that has an obligation to maximize revenue for doing its damn job, shows a level of stupidity and arrogance that is appalling.

They have been upfront to you about their planned releases. 30 million people in the US already own DVD versions so that even if you have upgraded to HD (and if you have Blu-Ray I assume you have) you can still play those discs.

But if you want an improved picture and and sound quality purchase the version you want when its out.

But to judge that product as poor (like they do on amazon is complete and utter rubbish).

20. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How the hell are the abusing customers?

Seriously.

You aren't forced to buy it.

They have told people up front which version it is.

They have told people up front that the Extended version will be out later.

Where's the abuse?