Spoilers Lord of the Rings TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cyrus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Oh yeah, it's absolutely terrible how the show diverged from the books and didn't give us an entire season of Aldarion and Erendis drama :rolleyes:

saddestmoon and Set Harth like this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never seen that before, but yeah it does. I have to admit, I am a little shocked we've never gotten any original Middle Earth Comics.
    I really enjoyed it, I liked the characters, the story was interesting, and as a very minor plus for me, it has cool horses.

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Some people don't appear to grok Tolkien even though they claim they've read The Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion. That's fine. There's enough TV drama to go around, but don't expect people to be uncritical when it so egregiously fails to live up to the hype or be even one iota faithful to the source work. I just wonder how pissed off Bezos is with how much of his money has been spaffed uselessly up the wall by McKay and Payne.

4. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

You certainly don't and it's good to see you admit it.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, so did Jackson's adaptations. People just ignore those complaints now but those films are not faithful or Tolkien-esque. They are adaptations, designed to appeal to a contemporary audience, not the audience Tolkien wrote to. So, yeah, sorry, I see this whole "knocked the heart out" and I think that it is missing the forest for the trees. The whole battle against evil, both internal and external, the struggles with the harsh realities of war, and the nature of friendship is very much Tolkien-esque.

And, it's an adaptation. Demanding it "be a classic" like Tolkien is unrealistic.

I would not suggest watching Season 2.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

7. The Knappos

The Knappos Captain Captain

If in doubt, apply the Roshomon principle. Where different tellings/experiences of the same events have different perspectives/versions/spin on things. Inconsistencies come due to unreliable narrator, non-total recall etc etc.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

If only it were as good as Rashomon. I can't see the series improving given recent reports, so I've decided to give further seasons a miss and leave this thread to its own devices. I wish I'd done the same with Lost and Heroes, but the sunk-cost fallacy had kicked in.

9. Starbrow

Starbrow Lieutenant Red Shirt

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nerd of the Rings review gives season one 6 out of 10. Short version, he disliked what they're doing with Galadriel, found the mythril origin story baffling, and he thinks they dropped the ball with Sauron and the forging of the Rings, but he likes what they're doing with Elrond, Numenor and Khazad-dum.