Looks like we're never getting a DS9 HD remaster. (Quote from twitter)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lovok, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, VOY and DS9 really only look bad in comparison now. Back then, when they were new, they looked pretty great on my tv. In fact - they looked as good as the way I saw most movies at that time. When Star Wars was on tv, it had the same quality.

But nowadays, I'm just so much more used to a ridiculously improved image quality. It took me a while to notice the TNG I was watching was actually the remastered version - because the image quality looked like all the other shows I'm currently watching. And then - watching VOY and DS9 - I really, really noticed the difference.

VOY and DS9 are still very much watchable, and especially worth it if you don't know them yet. But purely the image quality of remastered TNG (and the life-action scenes of TOS) are something entirely different now. And while I absolutely wish for DS9 and VOY to get the same treatment one day - if I had to choose at gunpoint which series deserve it most - I would have picked TNG and TOS. I'm just so, so glad they actually completely finished the entirety of TNG, the last seasons included, even though it really wasn't financially worth it at the time anymore. While I'm of course still hoping for more - I really can't appreciate enough what we already got!

2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're never going to get all of DS9's original FX in HD because as the show moved to digital FX they were never rendered in HD. Which I'm sure is another reason that they aren't jumping at the chance for HD DS9. As I understand it, it would be more work than TNG was for a less popular show.

Since I'm watching most of this for the first time along with Mission Log on Netflix in SD, it is nice that I can watch it without my glasses. :)

Vger23 likes this.
  3. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

I was there at the Q&A and heard his response. He pointed at himself and the director of the documentary and said something like "the problem is you're probably looking at the only two guys at the studio that's interested in doing it." He also said he didn't want the show to continue in any form other than TV, and that the show for made for that format. So it excludes say a tv movie, but not say a 10 episode season or 4 part mini-series, imo. He was also pretty against the story continuing in other formats as cannon like comic books. It's a real shame because HD remasters of DS9 would be amazing and the show is probably more relevant now than it was back when it first aired. Everyone loves serialized content, and the topics have gone from hypotheticals to real life in some cases.

USS Firefly, RedAlert and Captain Moe like this.
  4. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Again: We are probably never going to see DS9 and VOY being entirely re-edited from the original film footage.

But I can absolutely see the videotape-edited episodes one day being run through a compter generated image improvement/enhancement program, like they did with the old timey-footage. As soon as that is possible to do mostly automatic and for cheap. Now that most likely won't reach the quality the Remaster for TNG did. But it' would definitely be an improvement upon the current image quality.

RedAlert likes this.
  5. Captain Moe

Captain Moe Captain Captain

I know you will find it hard to bribe believe that old timey footage was shot on film. The restoration is amazing but the video that DS9 and VOY was shot on doesn't have that kind of resolution, you can see what the upconvert of a episode of DS9 looks like on the TNG Blu-ray boxset. Sure they can clean it up and make it look nicer but your basically stuck with 480p.

6. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No. DS9 and Voyager were both shot on 35mm film, just like TNG. They were only mastered into lower resolution on edit, just like TNG.

They would, however, require at least the same amount of work to restore as TNG did. Some select scenes of DS9 have actually had this treatment for the "What We Left Behind" documentary.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    BillJ, RedAlert and Rahul like this.
  7. Captain Moe

I was replying to guy above to say that they can't upconvert the SD version, it will always look like that will without a restoration no future technology will easily radicly improve that.

8. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just hit DS9 in my marathon. The change from HD colour and clarity in Chain of Command to the dull and muddy Emissary was pretty hard to take.

I know part of that is the colour palette and the lighting, particularly in the pilot, but it doesn't look great. From memory it gets better in season two.

I've been watching on Netflix but will give the DVDs a go for Captive Pursuit and see if there's any difference.

Ah well, it is what it is. It looks as good as it ever has done, but not as good as it could look.

ALF and RedAlert like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just an odd duck, but I don't find the transition jarring at all.

10. Captain Moe

Having been to the DS9 panel this morning at Destination Star Trek and hearing Ira Behr talk about how much S9 was the shameful show, a failure and a failed experiment I really now feel like we will very unlikely get a remaster.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Season 9? What are you talking about?

12. DS9forever

Season 9? What are you talking about?

13. Captain Moe

Sorry typo should have been DS9.

14. DS9forever

RedAlert likes this.
  15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we have any indication that doing so will actually make a difference to anyone who matters?

16. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

I also just went through TNG in HD and am starting DS9, for my first ever complete watch through, and the visuals are disappointing after how great TNG just looked. I was very impressed with the TNG HD treatment. Emissary was pretty awful visually. Dull colors, pixelated computer visuals, black and white lcd text displays, etc. I know, I know, get over it. It's the story that matters. But damn...I wish they would HD both DS9 and VOY.

Rahul and Tomalak like this.
  17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A little tip for that..... TV's and blurayplayers have all kinds of software enhancing. In the settings of both, you can turn a lot of those off. And you'll notice if you do, a lot of older shows become a lot better.

18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The HD battle in the documentary looked nice but it seemed too colourful and glossy to me.

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's kind of weird to have the first two series in High Definition, the last two series (soon to be last three series) in High Definition... and then have the middle two series in Standard Definition.

DS9 and VOY, picture quality-wise, look out of place next to TOS, TNG, ENT, DSC, and soon the Picard Series. It's like having two color series, then having two black-and-white series, before going back to color again.

20. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One day, it will happen. Just not any time soon. Perhaps after the Picard series comes out, there might be a desire to cash in on "that other Trek show" that wwas unique and different.

Hold out hope. Its why we're Trek fans.

Jayson1 and ALF like this.