Looking Current or Recent Animated Series Recommendations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jan 2, 2019.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Adventure Time
    Regular Show
    Mike Tyson Mysteries

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, this is the first I've ever seen anybody talk about Spectacular Spider-Man like this.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

And the reason is that most people who watched it absolutely love it. Like @Christopher , I wasn't thrilled with the character designs, but I quickly grew accustomed to it and the writing was just stellar.

So, don't let that one person's low opinion dissuade you from checking the show out. You owe it to yourself to find out for yourself whether you like it or not.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've already seen most of the first season, and I thought it was great. I just ended up losing track of it, and it ended before I got caught up and then I got distracted by other stuff and never went back to it.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Of course, the main downside to watching Spectacular Spider-Man is the frustration when it ends prematurely. Which is a recurring theme in Greg Weisman shows, though at least he finally got Young Justice back.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is a pretty harsh opinion of Spectacular Spider-Man. I mean, I don't particularly like it (I hate Teen Peter stories in general, he's been an adult in the main comics since 1965 so I ate when they devolve himand I generally dislike non-Teen Titan teen heroes anyway), but I wouldn't argue that its not a well made show, just a show about a version of Spider-Man I don't like (with an art style I think is fairly mediocre).

Also, in what reality did SSM copy the 90s show? I do think the 90s show was better in pretty much every way outside of the action scenes, but SSM really didn't seem to copy it, at least not min any major way.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Oh it copied the 90’s show quite a bit, along with a lot of parts from the other pre-2000 shows. I watched all 26 episodes and I couldn’t believe how terrible the show was. If I were to give it a rating out of 10, it would be -10000000 out of 10. Not recommended (even the MTV Spider-Man and “Spider-Man Unlimited” (1999) were better and from what I’ve seen of Ultimate, which is only the DVD release, Ultimate is better).

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm shocked to see someone have this bad of a reaction to that one. I could not loving it as much as a lot of people seem to, but to hate it that much.... just, wow.

9. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No love for Batman Beyond? Definately my favourite installment of the DCAU and IMO probably the best DC animated show until Young Justice, which I would say has much better animation and slightlybroader, varied plotlines (due to it's ensemble cast) and is on par otherwise.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I found it flawed. The first season suffered from weak villains -- they were mostly just based on character design drawings and superpower gimmicks and didn't have the rich personalities and motivations of B:TAS villains. And the second season was pretty boring and formulaic, with too much dependence on having high school students or faculty members turn out to be supervillains week after week. Season 3 was okay, though, and the Return of the Joker movie is pretty impressive. Overall, the episodes revisiting characters and elements from B:TAS were consistently more interesting than the ones built around the show's own characters and situations.