News Live-Action ‘Cowboy Bebop’ tv series in the works

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

Re: Snark and Faye

There's a big difference between snark and having an edge/attitude. The dialogue given to Faye in the live-action is snarky for the sake of snark — a quip to have a quip. It doesn't give the character anymore of an edge or attitude. And, as @Maurice pointed out, Faye in the live-action lacks the depth of motivation of the original.

Pineda, however, does elevate the material with her performance.

2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just don't accept this as an excuse to complain about lesbian representation. Of which Bebop is frankly one of the healthiest examples in recent shows.

EDIT: Aside from what Jaime and Christopher have already said, I'll add that if there were some signifiers of lesbianism-for-male-consumption going on -- both participants being hot femme models, say, or their story revolving in some way around some denial of the sexuality or the betrayal of some male partner in the wings, or if there was gratuitous sexualization in some other way that denied their agency or capability -- I could get there. But none of that is present. So I can't get there. And so I feel more like this is functioning as an excuse to complain than genuine concern.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ll be honest, the only people I hear complaining about lesbians in modern genre fiction/Tv in general are dudes. *shrug*
    Did it seem a little bit like an obvious reach for PC brownie points here?
    Kinda. Maybe. I guess.
    But did it work in story?
    Yeah, pretty well. It surprised Faye too, which was interesting, and worked well with whole amnesiac angle.
    Given how much it danced back and forth over the perceived PC aspect to much modern TV, I am not sure I could even put it in that box though… this is the show that had a ‘black male’ pun, had mixed gender brutal fights from episode one, a trans/cross dresser, eco-protester villains, and all kinds of crazy stuff going on.
    Basically, it worked, and had less titillation aspects/male gaze than even ‘Bound’ did back in the day.
    I’d say it was just good work from all concerned.
    YMMV

BigJake likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's been true for decades, sure, but I think you're underestimating how much things have improved and balanced out in recent years, with more TV actually being written by and for LGBTQ people, rather than using lesbianism as pandering to hetero male gaze.

Honestly, though the thought of what you're saying did occur to me, I felt Bebop did a good job of portraying Faye's romance simply as her first romance, with the gender of her partner being a complete non-issue. I think we're increasingly seeing that in the media, just treating romance equally matter-of-factly no matter what genders the participants are. I remember a college friend once telling me (after she indicated that she was attracted to the same female friend that I was) that she didn't think it made sense to rule out a relationship with someone just because of their gender. I think fiction today is increasingly written with a similar philosophy -- that there aren't distinct categories of straight relationships and gay relationships, but just a single category of relationships between people.

jaime and BigJake like this.