Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Feb 12, 2014.
The trouble is, a lot of supposedly adult men and women never outgrow this kind of list-making.
Good Hygiene, No Smoking or heavy drinking.
A pretty good list.
I'm glad they are over thinking it. They have clearly thought about their own needs and their own plans for a future life in a way that goes far beyond and Prince Charming idea.
Women as jewelry and tokens?
I don't really use handwriting, but I can print up a storm. I learned from Artie Simek.
Make that... too cuteness.
I visit my Mom every Saturday.
Not since 1982.
What about writing? Sure, art is essential, and I'm not bad at it, but writing is really more intricate, complex, and layered, and stuff.
Absolutely. Just like my idol, Columbo.
I know the best Chat Rooms.
Meaning mine? Sure, if you like a cross between The Old Curiosity Shop and an Amazon warehouse.
Tolerates children, would rather die than have children.
Laughs at jewelry.
Intently. To music and old radio shows.
There's stuff in there. Stuff that has to come out!
That was around 1974, so it's water under the bridge.
Doesn't believe in marriage. Would certainly only live with someone if there was mutual respect.
Off the scale.
Nobody can nuke a Healthy Choice dinner like me.
Fantastic. Secure with great benefits. And I work from home. It's like a dream.
In some sense....
Very, except when I'm not.
I treat all religions with equal cynicism.
I don't know. It seems simple enough, but I keep getting "Hutchinson," "Hutchings," "Hutchens," etc.
I can't get enough of myself.
"At" or "with?"
At this point I have no choice.
Baby? What baby?
I change the names to protect the innocent.
What teeth there are left, yes.
Sure, but not enough to do it.
I treat my pets like people.
One of my biggest pet peeves my whole life has been women changing their names to their husbands.' Men changing their names to their wives' doesn't have the same history, but it's still not pleasing. People should keep their real names.
^well, if you took my name, you wouldn't get letters to "Hutchinson" anymore. But only some 30 people on the planet could spell or write your new name correctly.
LOL they are indeed But so am I, to be honest.
What fascinated me about that list was that with some of their rules they stick to the classical stereotypes (nice jewelry), with others you almost hear their parents speaking (no kissing on first date), others again are very child-like (the good handwriting) and a few so absolutely hit the bulls eye with that amazing clarity only children and fools have (don't attack me! It's a German proverb I translated literally: Kinder und Narren sagen die Wahrheit).
What impressed me most is that point about the future BF having to like her job. Amen to that, sisters! After decades it's still a social drama here in Bavaria when the woman earns better than the man. Many a marriage has been divorced over this.
Chemahkuu's precise comment was quite interesting for me as it shows what he would consider a matter of fact.
It's obvious you don't know my boss (and he's right-handed)
What if she's got a shitty, boring job?
Good point. Take the job market at the moment, which is in bad shape. Many people have to take whatever job they can get, whether or not they like the job.
My consort makes two times what I earn. She is also 7 years older than me.
I'm a toy boy!
4. Taller than me
5. Generally fit
6. Good fashion sense
8. Sexy accent
10. Left Leaning
11. Not a hippy, naturopath, believer in the paranormal, woo-woo fool
12. Similar worldview to mine
13. Wants kids, willing to adopt one
14. Good in bed and willing to experiment, generally dominant
15. Going on from 14, willing to experiment with third parties of either gender
16. Totally into me.
17. Likes cats
18. Not clingy
19. Has a good job
20. Good hygiene
21. No farting. Have the decency to leave the room or silence a non-stinker
22. Likes karaoke
23. Plays the piano and writes me goofy love songs
24. Curly hair preferred.
25. Generally healthy diet but not a health nut
26. No goddamn juicing/gluten is evil/paleo nonsense
27. Not a "theatre person" (probably not artistically inclined at all.)
28. Good at math, an engineer would be nice
29. Has one or more tattoos
30. Owns a beautiful old estate in some rolling English countryside or something, inherited from his entirely deceased family (no in-laws to deal with), where we can throw garden parties when we tire of city life...which he only just found out about because he didn't know his insanely wealthy dead relatives and was raised quite humbly so there's not to much of a class-based culture clash between us, and he never forgets where he came from, and we sometimes have Abba dance parties and we can afford to fly first class when we take the kids to visit their grandparents, and we work because we want to not because we have to, and...
Damn, I was doing fine until I got to #29.
Also, taking #11 into account, tsq's dislike of "woo-woo" fools would seem to preclude dating Ric Flair, amirite?
I got shot down at #4. I would go to a bar and drink myself into a stupor, if only I could find a way to climb onto the bar stool...
#6 and #8 are also out...6 for obvious reasons, and 8 because I personally have a voice that sounds like the bass part from "Sussudio" and/or a 45-rpm single played at 33.
*cracks knuckles*. I am a spectacular boyfriend. Watch me ace this list.
Now that's what you call a list, tsq!
On a serious note, I think a lot of people don't realise that a long-lasting relationship needs a lot of compromise and constant maintenance. You never stop working on it, or it will die, no matter how long you've been together.
macloudt, married for 18 years yet living in a semi-detached house rather than a vast inherited estate
Edit: Stoo, my husband also wouldn't get past no.1, but then neither would I.
I drive, but my husband doesn't. Also, he does the gardening. Ah, I miss the Red Green show.
If I had to make a list that would be a quite short list : someone I can tolerate. It's perfectly vague and it's really very limitative. That's certainly why I'm single
Separate names with a comma.