Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 10, 2007.

1. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2008!

I watched Van Helsing which was very bad, also Halloween III and rewatched The Manchurian Candidate remake, both very good, especially with themes (the latter's ending was disappointing).

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2008!

Halloween III is the only Halloween movie I ever enjoyed. :D

I either have or have seen all of the cool 1930s movies they showed, but Torture Garden and Twice Told Tales were new to me; TTT is actually worth buying, if it's on DVD.

Don't risk it. Your relationship may never be the same. :(

I really like that old stuff, though. It would really have to be painfully bad for me not to enjoy it, even if just for the historical aspect. :)

The van Helsing books sounds pretty interesting; I had never heard of them before.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

...aaaaand our title goes back, albeit with a slight tweak, since we keep throwing movies in here. ;)

I've heard similar things about it before, which is kind of disappointing. As a kid, I had this great illustrated book about vampires in lore, fiction and film (I have no idea what it was called) in which I first saw that famous image of Varney looming over his victim, his ribs exposed. Sometimes I think that book is slightly responsible for me being into horror today. :lol:

Maybe I'll still read it someday, even if I'm bound to reach the same conclusion.

I enjoyed some of the others, as you know, but I think Halloween III gets a bad rap. I get what they were trying to do, and I agree with it. We could have had many different movies based on the season, instead of recycling.

It is, as part of the Midnite Movies line. (And wow--$5.49? Snatch that baby up while it's still in print.) I've only seen the "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment" portion, though, but I liked it a lot. Maybe I'll finish it this week.

I didn't end up doing the TCM list. I let my wife pick which one to watch after dinner, and funnily enough, she chose Mad Monster Party? :lol: After she went to bed, I watched Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Not terribly creative Hallowe'en viewing, but I'd been in the mood for them since doing captures for avatars and Caption This.

4. RJDiogenes

Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking forward to: A long term anthology. Imagine how many we'd have by now.

Done! :D

Mad Monster Party? is addictive. :rommie: And there has to be a viewing of at least one classic Universal movie on Halloween. :cool:

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also enjoy Halloween III, the actual story idea wasn't too original, but I liked the way they did it, and just never have gotten on with the whole Michael Myers thing. I mean, I understand that Halloween was a groundbreaker, but when put up against any of a number of slasher films, it's not really any better, I just don't think the slasher formula was a very good or interesting one to start with.

Mind you, I saw a very gory version of Halloween III on TV years ago, but every version I have seen since has been hacked to pieces, the decapitation removed and pretty much all the gore gone.

6. Spaceman Spiff

I can't disagree, even if I like some of the films. And all of the imitations and returns to the well take away from the innovation of the first film. I wasn't aware that there was an alternate cut of the third movie.

Back to books, since I finished Halloweenland (blarg) on the 30th, I decided to give another seasonal book a try. So far, I'm about a third of the way into Blood Red by James A. Moore. (Thankfully, I don't have to look at the garish cover on Kindle. :p) It's pretty good so far--more spooky stuff happening in a New England town around Hallowe'en. He's taking his time to get the plot going, but the writing itself is enjoyable enough that I don't really mind. I already wish I had picked it up instead of Halloweenland.

I'm sure tonight will be dominated by election stuff, but I'll definitely watch Twice Told Tales by the end of the week. Maybe I'll watch Tales of Terror, too, since it's on the same disc, and let you know what I think of that one.

7. RJDiogenes

^^ Great. I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'll also be interested to hear more about Halloweenland, given the spooky New England goings on. :cool:

I saw Halloween III in the theater when it first came out, so I guess I saw the uncut version; I don't remember it being especially gory, but it's obviously been a long time. :D

8. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched a film called Session 9 which I recommend to horror-fiction fans.

It's the story of what happens when a small hazardous-materials company is contracted to remove asbestos from a crumbling, abandoned lunatic asylum.

It's a true horror film, in that it concentrates on creating an atmosphere of dread, instead of startling the audience with cheap scares, or grossing-out the viewer with gore.

What exactly happens is never truly explained--the viewer is let to decide if some malevolent supernatural force was at work, or if the events depicted have a 'scientific' explanation.

The asylum in which it was filmed was a real place, and is creepier than any constructed movie set.

I give it a rating of :evil::evil::evil:, out of a possible four.

9. Spaceman Spiff

It's weird that you mention that one, because I just picked it up on the recommendation of a friend. I'll watch it soon and tell you what I think.

10. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I'd never heard of Session 9 until I saw it on a list of Chuck Palahniuk's five favourite movies, along with Harold and Maude (which I haven't seen), They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Alien, and Sunset Boulevard, which I have seen, and which are all excellent.

11. RJDiogenes

I like the asbestos removal gimmick. Beats the old college kid initiation stunt-type approach. :D

12. RJDiogenes

Here is something we can look forward to for next Halloween. ;)

13. Spaceman Spiff

Halloweenland was the one I finished on the 31st. It kind of, well, sucked. The New England-y one is Blood Red by James A. Moore. It's pretty good so far, with interesting characters who seem to be slowly making their way toward intersecting. It's a good read (though there's one plot point I'm not sure about), but there isn't much in the way of a Hallowe'en or New England feel to it, at least up to this point, which is strange, considering that both of those things show up in the description. Still, I'm looking forward to each chapter, and that's all I ask at this point. ;)

In movie news, after all this time, Hammer Films has wrapped filming their first new release since 1976's To the Devil a Daughter. :eek: I just spotted this last night:

[​IMG]
    (Click for a larger pic.)

From the description:
    After getting the snickers out over the title, I have to say that it sounds a whole lot better than what I was expecting out of this new incarnation of Hammer. The plot sounds like something the original studio would have made, and it doesn't sound as formulaic as a lot of modern horror.

Dare I hope?

14. RJDiogenes

^^ Well, at least they didn't call it Morning Wood. :rommie: It's an interesting choice for Hammer to return with; I would have expected more of a Creature Feature for their first attempt. Definitely sounds spooky though, in the tradition of "Monkey's Paw" and Pet Sematary.

And you reminded me that I bought To The Devil A Daughter a few months ago to watch at Halloween and completely forgot about it. :wtf:

I don't know why I typed the wrong book title up there, but it's the New England atmosphere that's important anyway. :D Hopefully, that will grow as the story moves along....

Slightly off topic, does your Avatar mean that you endorse Secret Saturdays? I saw a bit of an episode today and it looked pretty good; kind of like Tom Strong by way of Hanna-Barbera....

15. Spaceman Spiff

I'm enjoying it. After stumbling onto Jay Stephens's blog, I caught the third episode, and I've been watching ever since. Your description is pretty apt. The Alex Toth influence is obvious, and it pretty much looks how those old shows would with modern animation techniques. And hey, cryptozoology. :lol:

Reading back on his blog, you can see that a lot of work went into the show. I think it pays off, and I hope the ratings are decent enough to keep it going. When I first tuned in, I was half afraid it was going to be busily winking at the audience, but it plays it straight for the kids, which is cool.

Edit: I just remembered that the first couple of episodes are re-airing sometime this week--I have TiVo set to get them. In case you want to start from the beginning.

16. RJDiogenes

Yeah, an old show with modern animation was exactly what I was thinking. And I heard them say "crypto" in reference to some power the kid has. The hairy guy appears to be Sasquatch, but the lizard appears to be a regular Komodo Dragon. Interesting....

Yes, I always like it when they play it straight. Postmodernism is cute, but way overdone, and often makes it feel like the creators are embarrassed. I also like it when they can successfully play it on both levels, like in Kim Possible (speaking of which, I have to remember to check on something-- I'm pretty sure the wife is voiced by the same actress who does Shego).

That might have been yesterday; I think I caught the end of a block. I'll check the listings....

17. Spaceman Spiff

Well, a lot of it is sort of "cartoon" cryptozoology. They make up a lot of creatures, drawing some from folklore, and some from imagination. Fiskerton (the hairy guy) is described as a "gorilla-cat," for example. Komodo has chameleon-like abilities, represented in the classic "drawn with white lines = invisible" method. ;)

Yes, I always like it when they play it straight. Postmodernism is cute, but way overdone, and often makes it feel like the creators are embarrassed. I also like it when they can successfully play it on both levels, like in Kim Possible (speaking of which, I have to remember to check on something-- I'm pretty sure the wife is voiced by the same actress who does Shego).

I checked TiVo last night, and the first two eps are airing tonight at 6 PM.

18. RJDiogenes

^^ Actually, I think they were on this morning. :alienblush: They showed a two-parter back to back; it was called "The Kur Stone" and it felt like the setup. There are also two episodes on tonight, which I'm recording. I hope you didn't miss the pilot.

19. Spaceman Spiff

They might have been. TiVo has made me lazy about remembering when crap's on. Every time I turn it on, there are surprises. :lol:

For that post, I checked the listings on the Cartoon Network site. So they're at least showing two eps tonight. I don't know if those are the two-part premiere; I just assumed.

"The Kur Stone" is the pilot, though.

20. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it stars Timothy Spall which is a very good start. Its not a guarantee of quality by any means, but he is an excellent actor and brings something good to everything he appears in.

[​IMG]