Lens Flare/Halo Effect -- Throughout Entire Film?!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Frontier, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be honest, I wasn't overly keen on them in the first trailer. Over the course of the film, I'll probably not even think of them, so it's a moot point :p

However, judging by the trailer, it struck me as being mostly a post-production thing rather than anything to do with the lenses being used. Isn't Spock's transporter effect covered in mini lens-flares?

2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, it's clearly a technique Abrams likes and you'll be seeing lots of it throughout the film, as the report said.

Personally, I don't mind it at all.

3. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Transformers has these flares a lot. And yes, it is the result of shooting with anamorphic lenses. It causes light sources to have these artifacts. If you watch Mission Impossible 3, you will notice J.J. likes to use these artistically in his shots. Michael Bay is known to do this as well.

Here are some examples of the flares in other films.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If so ... and now I'm not being facetious ... WHY the preponderance of flare shots in the trailer? You lose the impact with overuse, just like zoom lenses, which is why folks like McTiernan used them very specifically rather than as a constant.

5. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Probably because the camera can today be 'present' in shots. And the lights' interaction with the lenses creates that effect quite effectively.

There were also shots in the trailer with only very minute or no lens flares. But in most of the action-oriented shots that we've been shown there are very strong light sources present: the Kelvin's warp-thruster, the shuttles' 'head-lights', the sun.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

And of course, the bridge.

The film's production designer didn't mention much about the preponderance of practicals on that set or in the corridors (so perhaps that thing about having all the spotlights was more the DP's idea? I haven't talked to the DP yet), but he did say that the bridge was the most trouble for him to nail down on the film and it took three passes before everybody was happy (he went too futuristic the first time, way too much like TOS the second time, and then I guess struck what was a happy medium for the makers on the last try.)

7. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what the appeal of the glare thing is, but I hope it's not too distracting.

8. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I'm one of those who wouldn't really notice it until it's brought to my attention. Thanks a lot Frontier!:scream:

9. Tranya_2K9

Tranya_2K9 Ensign Newbie

You know, I thought it was just me and my brother said I'm crazy as hell, but I've noticed these frakkin lens flares come up in just about every episode of Fringe. Watch tomorrow night and you'll catch at least one or two.

It would appear JJ seems to have a hard-on for lens flare. Maybe not so much for Lost though. But Fringe and ST definitely have it.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ If you watch Fringe tomorrow night, you'll just see a bunch of aspiring singers being ripped apart by judges.

11. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Where can I buy an official Star Trek Somb-Flare-O?

And can somebody make me a cool avatar with a sombrero and some flare? (I feel like I'm in "Office Space.") The more obnoxious, the better.

12. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

Well if the bridge set did not have all those stupid lights shine in everyones faces then there would not be any lens flares! It looks like sh*t!

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm...so as people have indicated those lens flares were present in Mission Impossible 3, Transformers and Fringe.

Since, as far as i remember, I barely noticed and don't remember being annoyed by them in those movies/show I think I will be fine when watching Star Trek.

14. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

I've watched every episode of Fringe so far, and I haven't noticed anything. They must be doing it wrong.