Least favourite episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Refuge, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to think what the season 6 horror episode was? Was it Fury?
    If so I was pleased to see Kes again. She came good in the end. However I do think she was more powerful than her confrontation with Janeway showed. It was too easy for Janeway.

Sophie74656 likes this.
  2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, "ENDGAME" was horrible. It used SO MANY aspects of TNG's finale it felt more like a TNG episode than a VOYAGER finale. I hated the out of nowhere romance of Seven and Chakotay, despite having a possible seed in "HUMAN ERROR" and "NATURAL LAW". Still seemed out of left field.

3. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

Fury was the worst. It served no real purpose and it contradicted earlier episodes. We could have done without this one.

somebuddyX and Thomas Eugene like this.
  4. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since Unforgettable was brought up, I have to say I liked it as a story, but I really couldn't wrap my head around Janeway giving her asylum. The big problem for me was that, even if they successfully evaded her species, it seems awfully dangerous to keep her on board unless you have a way to neutralize the memory loss effect.

Crewmembers are just going to start randomly forgetting parts of their day just because they bumped into Kellin?

I'm sure it would be MOSTLY harmless... but then again.... I hope B'Elanna doesn't forget the results of the last warp core diagnostic showed an issue, or Tuvok forgets the new code to the weapons locker - because she happened to be standing there.

It's a potentially dangerous problem, even if she doesn't intend it to be so.

5. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

It seemed to me from the episode that everyone only forgot about Kelin (sp?) and her people but they would remember everything else.

6. Farscape One

"11:59" was, for me, one of the clunkers of the series. It just didn't really do anything for any of the characters.

7. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Ex Post Facto
    Elogium
    Parturition
    Persistence of Vision
    False Profits
    Unforgettable
    The Voyager Conspiracy
    I've never actually watched an entire Trek series (although DS9 comes closest). I've not seen most of season 6 or 7 of Voyager so stuff like Fair Haven might be worse but I've never seen them.

8. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll just say one thing on this and stop there. This is the problem with a biological explanation for the effect. How is this pheromone they excrete supposed to act differently on specific parts of a memory that are all being formed at the same time? How can the memory of her specifically be biochemically different than the rest of it?

I can suspend disbelief that whenever they're around, new long term memory formation is blocked, but if she's around when event X is happening, how can you remember all of event X except for her? That's awful convenient. If you're talking to her do you remember the conversation? Only what you said in the conversation? Nothing at all? What if she's talking to two other people? Do they remember speaking to each other at the time? Does their memory make any sense without her contributions? I would expect that any surviving memory of the entire experience while she was around would be fragmentary at best, and that if you could remember anything it would be somewhat non deterministic what was remembered and what wasn't - including memories of her being there.

It makes much more sense that the memory loss would be technologically achieved hypnosis where the crew is instructed on what to remember and forget by the aliens.

Then Kellin herself has another problem. If she goes on an away mission, gets captured and held a couple days by another alien race, does Voyager forget all about her and leave? What if that happens to Chakotay? Is there relationship over - again? Presumably he'd be around her a lot meaning he'd lose potentially years of his life experience

Sorry I veered somewhat off topic.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. CPT Baldwin

CPT Baldwin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Heroes & Demons.

10. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nemesis and Memorial - I think these episodes are actually not bad at all and tackling serious topics from an SF angle. It's just that I get a proverbial headache watching them, because the mood is so heavy, which is why I tend to avoid them (don't usually want to feel depressed after watching star trek).

Fury -
    a totally unnecessary insult to Kes and to Kes fans.

There are several episodes I think are 'bad' and several others I just don't like that much for other reasons to the extent I will usually skip them, but these three are among the ones I most seriously dislike.

Lynx, somebuddyX and CPT Baldwin like this.
  11. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the analogy that it would be like a form of chemical hypnosis where her presence was like a retrieved memory but one that will never be retrieved.. never reliably sure. Sometimes one of your senses can hold a different type of 'memory' that the others can't. Smell for example. Music. Those around her would suffer the ultimate loss of memory. Dementia. I suspect they would lose the presence of her in the daily chapters of their time with her. The mind would fill in the gaps with the mundane blur of life. I don't think Chakotay for example would lose years of experience, but would have a reformed one without her. Yesterday I could have sworn I did not take my phone out of my bag when I popped in to see my Mother. In fact when later I couldn't find my phone the only thing that told me it was at Mum's was deduction. It was either there or lying on the road. So I go and pick it up with zero recollection of auto-piloting it into Mum's house at all. Evidence told be I had done that but I had even visualized it on the car seat when I was trying to convince myself otherwise. False memory no less.

12. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I actually liked the Voyager Conspiracy.

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually like "Nemesis". It's a good Chakotay story and I like the twist in the tale about who might be the good guys or the bad guys.

14. Farscape One

Agreed about "NEMESIS".

15. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11:59 was annoying for being a forced Y2K episode. Only perk was getting to see janeway essentially be kate minus the whole scientific job title.

Sophie74656 likes this.
  16. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11:59 was a nice episode. Janeways response to learning the truth about 9th foremother, not very nice. I think Carbon Creek outdid this 1, though.

The episode I'm going to mention is not at all bad, but I get really angry at the sequence of events towards the end, and get even more angry at the way Janeway looks at Seven. And the episode is...

RETROSPECT

17. rcjames

rcjames Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Thaw. There's some real stinkers, but this one takes the cake for me. I find it essentially unwatchable.

18. Farscape One

I really liked "THE THAW". Wonderful acting by Michael McKean, great concept in bringing fear to life, and creative solution at the end. And nice dialogue between Janeway and The Clown. (Which, let's face it, is a perfect outfit to represent the emotion of fear. Clowns are creepy.)

Sophie74656 likes this.