Law & Order General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kilana2, Nov 17, 2019.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I have barely watched SVU in the last 10 years, a combination of becoming more enjoying lighter drama shows like White Collar & Leverage versus the Ripped from the headlines, at least 2 people die gruesomely television. Plus for me in the couple of seasons leading up to Meloni leaving SVU, they had made the show too much about Stabler and Benson, with it too much of Munch, Fin, Warner & Huang in the background, rarely having their own stories. SVU was always an ensemble show for me.

I really enjoyed the April 1st event of SVU/OC. There's a lot they did right, the biggest for me was that they didn't wait to get Stabler back on screen. Right there, in the first scene, he's back. So many times a show brings back a beloved character and they don't show them until about halfway through the show. Cabot in "Ghost" for example. They got right into it and I'm glad they did.

I am concerned that they're going to make us wait a long time for anything more than a brief scene with Benson and Stabler to work out their problems. I do hope that they reschedule her award and bring back other actors and have a nice reunion for it. After the last year, that would be a good happy thing to do for the fans.

Kilana2 and Random_Spock like this.
  2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trivia... the difference in age between Dylan McDermott and Chazz Palminteri is 9 years.

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

But the fact that she even let him into the room shows a huge error in judgment. We also get a handful of tortured Benson scenes and this whole mystery about what he wrote on the note. We had the requisite scene with the chief where he has to tell her to not let Stabler run wild. I am not the biggest fan of the characterization of Benson, the holier than thou detective who always has it right, but they dumped all that in a heartbeat.

For me, the most aggravating part of SVU has been this will they, won't they relationship. The powers that be have already pushed it past the point of old partners that will do anything for each other. They've been doing it again with Rollins & Carisi, albeit slightly better.

I knew it would be part of a jumping off point for the Organized Crime series, but it was frustrating.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only seen the first ep, but Organized Crime looks to be WAY better than SVU.

So should it have its own thread? ;)

Oh, I really hope they don't.

Not only, as I said, would Stabler and Benson have NO chemistry as lovers, but if they became such...so soon after Kathy's death...that'd be cold. :(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Considering this thread has generated all of nine pages after a few years and the conversation tends to revolve around the same three or four topics ... no. No, it should not.

6. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Years ago, I would have loved it. Now I think Elliot deserves better. Olivia gets on my nerves. The whole Saint Olivia can do no wrong thing, makes me want to scream. :D

If they got together, I wouldn't really care either way. *shrug* They dragged things out for too long.

7. Danny99

I'm trying to get a handle on all the players in Organized Crime. There's a lot of detectives and what's going on with Wheatley and his ex-wife, it's a lot going so far.

I'm glad that SVU hinted this week that Carisi has finally put down his torch for Rollins. It was becoming another tiresome will they or won't they and I hope they don't flip it and have her pine for him now.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but...all those mobsters jockeying to take over after Manfredi's death, they don't know that Wheatley is his son, amirite?

And I don't think I've ever gone HELL YEAH! at a L&O scene more than that bit where all those spoiled rich women in the doctor's office were arrested for jumping the vaccine line. :techman:

I admit I was a bit flummoxed by one thing, though:

In that scene where the covid vaccine truck is hijacked, the driver is shot and left on the train tracks. Later we learn that not only did somebody come along and tend to the guy's wounds...IT WAS THE SHOOTER WHO DID THAT??? Why would they do a thing like that? I mean, they SHOT the driver, I can only assume their intention was to kill him...so why bind his wounds?

9. Random_Spock

Been seeing some interesting possible spoilers about OC tomorrow, via Twitter. I've been eating some invisible popcorn while reading them. :lol:

And Christopher Meloni is fanning the flames lmao.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Meloni/status/1385075431196536835?s=20

Just saw said spoiler and it was good. Holy s, was it good. I'm still processing things now. Elliot loves Olivia.

I actually have a seed of caring left for those two crazy kids. I said that I don't really care either way, but maybe I do, just a bit.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh, look, more of the same

Rollins family drama.... :sigh: :barf:

11. Random_Spock

But at least it was done well. Really like how Rollins put that you know what in her place. She caught her in her act.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

The latest OC dropped a bomb which actually wasn't really one:

Kathy, not Elliot, was the target of the car bomb

I don't see why everyone's in such a tizzy about this. The reason seems obvious:

They wanted to make Elliot suffer. Which he sure as hell has been doing.

If Elliot had been the target, that wouldn't work, since it would put him out of his misery. Killing his WIFE, on the other hand...that's sticking the knife in and twisting it. Which is exactly what these mob types like to do.

Random_Spock likes this.
  13. Aragorn

I don't watch SVU but how does it line up storyline-wise with Organized Crime? Are they still solving a case per week while it's going to take Stabler eight weeks to bring down Wheatley and how does that affect the crossovers?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

SVU and OC exist essentially completely independently outside of one another, outside of Benson occasionally popping up for a few minutes in a few OC episodes.

15. Danny99

Until the next episode where they again pull a crossover like they did with SVU and the Chicago PD crew for years.

16. Random_Spock

Well just saw the new SVU promo...

It's intense. And whoo boy are we in for something.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  17. Danny99

If we keep crossing over with Benson, are we saying Organized Crime can't stand on its own?

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  18. Aragorn

Considering who died and that it takes place in NYC, Benson kind of has to be in it. But so far she's had nothing to do with the main plot.

19. Aragorn

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

I really hope this is a fucking joke... :wtf:

This is L&O, for crying out loud. It's always been about the prosecution! Defense attorneys in this universe are supposed to be jerks, that's the whole point! :lol:

That said, if they get Alex Kingston and/or Jeri Ryan to return, I'd be OK with that. :shrug: