Law & Order General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kilana2, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I became a fan of this show due to:

1. Benson is a strong female character fighting for justice for female victims.
    2. She is the result of a crime herself.
    3. All of the lead characters have problems and family members who alreadly clashed with the law.
    4. Interesting episodes involving social criticism und gives you food for thought.

I miss characters like Barba, Stabler and Novak. I'm not fond of Stabler's tantrums, though.

It is one of the longest running shows - rightly so. German TV has stopped showing it after pushing the latest episode into very late night (saturday evening....).

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you got to the episodes with Carisi yet? He's probably my favorite character on the show.

3. Kilana2

Yes. Almost all of the new characters blend in well. Carisi is great. I'm sorry for the loss of the young Dodds, though. His death came as surprise, but showed a different facet of his father.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

This show really became all about Benson and anointed her into this sainthood that she could do no wrong. No matter the episode, she comes out relatively unscathed and usually has a sanctimonious speech.

While I enjoy the addition of Jamie Grey Hyder so far, I think moving Carisi to the ADA office has been a misstep. We still haven't seen him argue a case in a court room. He is too much of a bleeding heart.

There are a lot of episodes these days looking for big stars to come in and dominate the episode with Benson. The secondary cast needs to be involved more and Benson needs to take more of a back seat.

Random_Spock and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  5. Kilana2

Benson didn't have a strong partner after Stabler left. Dany Pino's face was too known to the audience from other cop shows. Alex Cabot had an odd change of heart. Adam Beach was even blander than Dany Pino.

Munch is sorely missed. Ice-T should have more screen time.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I miss Munch. I wouldn't really mind if they got rid of Rollins though. Something about her annoys me.

Random_Spock and Kilana2 like this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

They should bring back Donal Logue.

Murphy was a more interesting CO than Benson.

Here's what I think they should do: Give Benson command of the entire 16th precinct, but have Murphy retain command of the actual Special Victims Unit. Isn't this what would "normally" be done? A specialized unit like this, while important, doesn't seem to rate a full Captain being in command.

Kitty Worrier and Gary Mitchell like this.
  8. Kilana2

Where the hell is Tucker?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

I think Robert John Burke is off doing another show.

But that's a good question. Tucker and Benson make a GREAT couple. Those two should totally be together.

I mean, they obviously love each other, and Ed and Noah get along great as well.

Besides, while I don't necessarily think Benson "needs" a husband (even though, as I said, she obvoiusly loves Tucker), Noah definitely needs a dad. God help us if he ever finds out what his biological father was like.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Kilana2 likes this.
  10. Kilana2

Just came over after watching a missed episode where Noah complains about a salad with olives. He wants Pizza instead.....:D.

A love interest for Carisi would be more interesting than another failed dating experience of Rollins.....

Just in case.... I can deal with spoilers, but as the Americans are ahead of us (Germany is currently showing season 20), please be careful with spoilers....

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Rollins does seem to have a thing for Carisi.

There's one bit in a recent episode where she is yelling at him for leaving SVU. It goes something like this:

Carisi: I thought you said you were happy for me.
    Rollins: And you believed that? How STUPID are you?

:lol:

And, God help me, I hope they never do another episode like the one they just did. That one (about the "machine elves") may be one of the worst eps I've ever seen.

One other thing: I'm not crazy about Garland, the new bureau chief. They should bring back Michael Cutter. Linus Roache pulls off an absolutely flawless NY accent (you'd never realize he's English) and is a thousand times more fun to watch than this doorknob they've got now.

Edit: I've heard talk about a new L&O spinoff, this one about hate crimes, and that a future SVU ep will set it up. Is this really a thing?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  12. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll second that they should bring Donal back. I liked young Dodds and was sad he died. Really miss Barba. Cirisi is good. Something bugs me about Rollins too.

I think Tucker retired, probably a way to write him off if the actor is busy on another show.

Kilana2 and Gary Mitchell like this.
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Anyone here who has an account on Wikia/Fandom, PLEASE get over to the Law & Order wiki and stop this jackass who calls himself "Season Fourteen".

There is an entry on Jesse Rollins (Amanda's older daughter). "Season Fourteen" seems to think that Jesse should be labelled as an "illegitimate" daughter (of Amanda and Lt. Murphy). I have repeatedly tried to remove that word from the entry, as I think we can all agree it's offensive and rude - and who the hell fucking CARES that Amanda and Murphy weren't married - but S14 keeps putting it back.

(Ironically, the entry for Amanda's other daughter - Billie - doesn't have the word "illegitimate" in it, even though I don't think she was planned either.)

I figure if others get in on it, maybe he'll stop this stupid editing war. Especially if we leave comments on Jesse's talk page, or even his own.

14. Kilana2

For me, the episode where Stuckey killed O'Halloran (and almost Stabler, too) was the most creepy one. The most emotional episode was when young Dodds was killed in the line of duty. Followed by the last episode with Barba turning off the machine of a dying child with no life expectancy at all.

Which episodes are your favorites?

15. Mr. Laser Beam

"Conscience" from season 6.

Kyle MacLachlan plays a man whose son is killed by a neighbor's kid. The killer is a complete and utter sociopath, and pretty much everyone knows it.

During a courtroom hearing, Kyle's character freaks out, grabs a guard's gun, and shoots the kid dead. It's obviously extreme emotional disturbance, so he's acquitted and goes free.

But in the end, he reveals that he faked the whole thing. He knew the kid would kill again and just waited for the right moment to grab a gun and shoot him.

"Jake would have killed again. I won't."

16. Kilana2

Just to make a case for the show.....:D

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I wonder if SVU's planning any more Chicago crossovers.

I hope they are. The two sets of detectives play off each other really well (esp. Benson and Voight) and the storylines so far have been great.

For example, it's been awhile since I've wanted to see a bad guy die quite as much as Greg Yates.

Kilana2 likes this.
  18. Kilana2

It's a crying shame that they put the current episodes into the late night program. Saturday and Wednesday. Saturday it's okay, but Wednesday it's too late. I have to rise early in the morning and I want to go to bed before the episodes begin....

I'm currently watching an episode with Wallace Shawn as guest....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Fun fact: One of the actors from SVU's first season (Michelle Hurd) is going to be on the new Picard show.

Another fun fact: Two Trek captains (Kate Mulgrew and Scott Bakula) have appeared on SVU.

SolarisOne, Kitty Worrier and Kilana2 like this.
  20. Kilana2

Don't forget Ronnie Cox!