Last Doctor Who Story you listened to?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Couple more old main range audios listened to. Unregenerate, which has an interesting concept but only becomes listenable halfway through once McCoy tones down his performance, and Thicker Than Water, a pleasant sequel to Arrangements for War, Six and Mel visiting Evelyn Smythe. Not worldshaking, but the Evelyn stories are usually quite enjoyable, and this is no exception.

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Commodore Commodore

The whole Six-Evelyn era is my favorite combination of a Doctor and a companion from the '80's Doctors, full-stop. Although I like Five-Nyssa a lot (just for Primeval and Spare Parts alone), the Evelyn stories really did seem like a natural progression of both the Sixth Doctor as a personality, and in my opinion anyway, a genuine look at how the show could've gone on with Six with someone other than JNT/Saward overlooking Who.

Steve Roby likes this.
  3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the extra's for the 6th Doctor's regernation story, C. Baker talks about how he really enjoyed working with Maggie Stables and wished that she could have been part of the story. While he's enjoyed working with all the performers who've played his audio companions, Maggie was different because she was closer to his own age.

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I definitely she was in that set, as opposed to Charley (who totally ruins the set for me - well, nearly).

5. Steve Roby

Listened to The Shadow Vortex, the first part of the third volume of The War Doctor. The idea's interesting -- Time War meets Cold War in East Berlin, with some good moments and a couple of interesting guest characters -- but it ends up being a fairly standard kind of story. Not bad, just not terribly exciting.

6. Steve Roby

And now I'm finished the War Doctor audios. I'm glad we have them, and I enjoyed John Hurt's performance (and certain others', like Jacqueline Pearce). But too many of the stories could have been slightly revised to work as main range Dalek adventures for any other Doctors.

The problem isn't with the characterization of the don't-call-me-Doctor. He seemed in line with the character Hurt played in Day of the Doctor, in other words, the Doctor, so it made sense that people like Ollistra just ignored his "I'm dark and sinister, don't call me the Doctor" lines because he still clearly was.

Instead, it didn't feel like they made enough of the weirdness of RTD's Time War. Too often it was fleet against fleet, stasers against Dalek guns.

TheAlmanac likes this.