Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

After a brief break, I'm back to watching Dr. Who. I'm still on Genesis of the daleks, and I just watched episode 4. Its still cool, and the Daleks are interesting.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i watched The Dalek Invasion of Earth. it was better than i remembered. about to sit down and watch The Chase. i haven't seen it before.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I watched part 1 of Pyramids of Mars last night.

4. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

The Twin Dilemma (Sixth Doctor).

I'm not sure I understand the strong amount of hatred this story gets or why the Sixth Doctor is generally reviled. The story itself was somewhat pedestrian but enjoyable enough. I also liked the Doctor's manic turns in personality although the groveling bit where he blamed Peri for their presence in the tunnels was somewhat exasperating.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get the chance to know the Sixth Doctor very well. The library doesn't have much of his material. Only The Twin Dilemma, Vengeance on Varos, and The Trial of a Time Lord.

5. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Finally made my way through all of Reign of Terror. Ugh. It was a stinker, in my opinion. They spent six episodes with some variation of "Companion gets captured and stuck in a jail cell. Companion is released/escapes. Companion gets captured and stuck in a jail cell again. Rine and repeat." I did one episode per day, and I think if I had tried two, it really would have been too much. I just did not enjoy this story.

Others in the same era - Planet of Giants, Sensorites, Aztecs, Dalek Invasion, I don't remember having that problem.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've mellowed to Reign of Terror recently, but aside from Keys of Marinus it's the only 1st season story that I can't feel enthusiatic about: yes, even Sensorites and the caveman stuff, both of which work as drama, if not always as Doctor Who as we later knew it.

7. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

The Trial of a Time Lord was an entire season. There's actually only about a few episodes missed outside of the ones you mentioned.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  8. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished that serial last night! This was another one I remember from when I was a kid, particularly the robot mummies. It was cool seeing Michael Sheard in this one, pre-Admiral Ozzel. :)

9. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I've been watching the 6th and 7th doctors a bit the last few days because I hadn't watched many of those episodes in years and I remembered there's a good reason why. Lots of very unlikeable stories. I'm so glad there's the doctor who audio stories that have really redeemed those. Just got through the first season of the 7th Doctor. What a freaking chore that was.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Web Planet, which meant every time there was a scene on the surface of the planet, I think my eyes are fucked or my glasses are fucked cos of them having smeared grease on the camera lens to give the look of a weird atmosphere...

11. diankra

Get it over and done with, like going to the dentist. It's not that bad. It's pretty bad, but not that bad. Not mostly.
    There's even a few good bits each episode. At least until part six. That's.... well, only 25 minutes till The Crusade. You can do that. Just grip the handrest hard... Bite down. Tell yourself it'll soon be over. And if that doesn't work, remember Time and the Rani and tell yourself that one day it'll be worse, so be grateful for now.

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i finished The Chase, which i thought was pretty good. Daleks fighting Frankenstein and Dracula...that was fun. also neat seeing Daleks on the Mary Celeste and on top of the Empire State Building.

i don't think i've ever seen The Web Planet though...

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched Four to Doomsday. How the hell do those helmets work anyway? Forcefields?

14. diankra

Well, they're not in a vacuum when they venture out into the ship, it's just that there's no 02 to breathe (IIRC). So it'd be a bit inefficient, but if the spacepack just pumped a lot of oxygen into the area in front of their mouth they'd work OK as partial pressure breathers (the sort of thing you might wear on Mars or at the top of Everest, for instance).
    None of that explains how the Doctor copes during the spacewalk, of course. But that's Time Lord miracle stuff!

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The Chase, a bit like RTD travelled through time to write an everything plus the kitchen sink type story in the 60s ;)

Daleks vs Dracula though, you can't not love that!

16. Lonemagpie

Oh there are worse stories...

Still it's The Crusade next, hurrah!

17. diankra

While we're on The Web Planet, did you know that the Animus was Margaret Thatcher's voice coach? Bizarre but true - Catherine Fleming was the voice coach who taught Thatcher to lower her register from shrill housewife to that deep, authoritative tone we all remember... and which is suspiciously familiar in some ways.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Genesis of the daleks. It was a good story, although it felt padded out at times (and I think it set some kind of world record for the number of times the main characters in a story get captured). Next up is Revenge of the Cybermen.

19. Lonemagpie

No, I don't think I knew that - it explains a lot!

20. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Vengeance on Varos (Sixth Doctor).

I'd heard that this one was considered controversial at the time it aired but I'm not sure what the fuss was about. Sure, the Doctor made a flippant remark after a couple of guys fell in an acid vat but then again the Fifth Doctor shot one of the cybermen multiple times at close range.

I enjoyed the story, though Jondar and Areta became superfluous in part 2. Sil was a rat bastard and fun to watch.