Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^I'm eagerly awaiting its release here in the US!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just realized the other day that I never watched anything beyond the first episode of Inferno. I'll have to get back to that once I finish up either Doom Patrol or Lucifer.

arch101 likes this.
  3. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished Invasion. Almost done the Troughton years: soon I'll be past all of the missing episodes.

4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I watched The Macra Terror on blu-ray last night. It was an ok story. I enjoyed the Doctor throughout, he seemed to be very mischievous which was fun. I enjoyed Jamie's dance too. I think the Macra worked better in animation than in live action based on the few real clips included on the disk.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched 'Invasion'. Didn't enjoy it as much as The Tenth Planet and Moonbase. The Cybermen are kind of not the main villain here. I find that Cybermen that are just an army of machines to fight against less interesting.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched Silver Nemesis.
    After watching the 1st and 2nd Doctor's Cybermen stories this was a large step down in quality. 80s TV effects look embarrassingly bad next to the 60s. Ace's main trope seems to be running from gun fire and we're still discussing Doctor Who...? even 30 years back.

Btw, is it ever explained why Cybermen sound less robotic in later series? Is it because these are Cybermen far evolved from the 2nd Doctor's time?

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^No doubt due to the shows ever shrinking budget and the fact TPTB at the BBC wanted it gone, so they no doubt cut corners on stuff like adding the robotic effect to the actors voice, saved themselves £5 out of the shows £99 budget. lol

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's just that they switched to different voice modulation techniques as the technology evolved. The technique used in the Troughton era was complicated and uncomfortable -- something to do with putting a tone generator against your upper palate and mouthing the dialogue to modulate its sound, or something like that. Later on, they just used simpler voice modulator or Vocoder effects to process the actors' voices.

Maybe it was also an artistic change -- later producers taking a different approach. There was a pretty long gap in there when the Cybermen were rarely used -- discounting cameo appearances, 6 years between "The Invasion" and "Revenge of the Cybermen" and another 7 years between that and "Earthshock." So it's no surprise that there'd be a pretty sizeable gap between interpretations, with different creators working in different eras with different technologies and tastes.

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Cricket gloves anyone?

Work out whether your Cyberman is left or right handed.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

For want of anywhere else to ask - any more of the classic seasons on Bluray ? The last one I've got was season 14.

11. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They've been delayed because of Covid but they're definitely restarted filming new VAM so hopefully we'll get an announcement soon.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Cool - thanks !

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Watched all 10 parts of The War Games. Hadn’t seen it in 30 years and it was pretty good. Made me want to see Spearhead From Space again the next day.

14. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only just discovered thanks to BritBox that apparently I had never seen The Seeds of Doooooom before. Not sure how it had slipped by me, but I have now corrected that. It's actually a really good Four/Sarah Jane story, strong and action-packed. The main bad guy feels like a Bond villain, Sarah Jane is proactive and confident and capable, and the Doctor is at his most mercurial and bullish.

People have often said how Tom Baker played the most unpredictable and chaotic Doctor, and obviously Sarah Jane is one of the most beloved and best remembered companions ever. Honestly I've never really bought into either of those views – I liked them both but they were never OMG BEST EVAR. But if I'd seen this serial before, I might have got a better idea of what people were talking about. Baker was all over the place in this performance, in a good way. Weirdly I was actually getting flashes of both Smith and Capaldi from his Doctor – I guess now I know where they got it from.

Mr Awe and arch101 like this.
  15. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Watched Inferno for the first time in maybe 30 years (isn’t Britbox great?) Courtney was dripping evil as the Brigade Leader- no sympathy at all when he met his end.

Mr Awe likes this.
  16. worf1965

worf1965 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am doing a complete rewatch. I just finished The Seeds of Death. I don't dislike the NuWho but man how I like the classic Who so much more. Troughton is great. The special effects make me laugh and I love Jamie McCrimmon. Sarah Jane was great, but I like Jamie way more. I wish they would bring back and update some of these classic villains like the Ice Warriors and the Krotons.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. Christopher

They did bring back the Ice Warriors twice in the Moffat era, in "Cold War" and "Empress of Mars," both by Mark Gatiss. (The wiki says they're in "Face the Raven" too, but doesn't specify how.)

18. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

"In the 2010s, an Ice Warrior was a resident of the hidden trap street in London which housed lost aliens on Earth under the protection of Mayor Me. As with the rest of the inhabitants it appeared cloaked in human form through use of the lurkworms."

19. Christopher

So that only barely counts.

Jinn likes this.
  20. worf1965

worf1965 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I obviously forgot those. I'll have to rewatch those. I'll get there eventually.