Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What timeline gaps? I may be too casual a listener to understand.

I hear them chronologically in production order (mostly) and I'm stuck with the pirate story with the sixth. (no 40 or so?). Not my thing, that story.

In general they are all of a good quality and I learned the word "twittle twattle". My favourite was with the sixth. I forgot the name, it was the one with that intelligence/child that always wanted to "kill kill kill." Was it The holy terror? It was so lovely. :D

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Pirate one (Doctor Who and the Pirates) is a favorite of mine - one of Evelyn's best performances.

But what I mean, in chronological terms.

3. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Watched the epic saga the key to time. I gotta say, I really love Romana I. Gorgeous, classy, she seems very elite, yet open minded to the Doctors unorthodox ways. Its like the doctor is teaching her cosmic street smarts over her academic time Lord teachings.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

To this day AotCM is my favorite story by my favorite Doctor, and probably second on my list of favorite Classic Who stories (with Talons of Weng Chiang very slightly edging it out of first place). It got almost everything I love about the 6th Doctor right. I mean, Peri still dressed a bit to goofy even for the time, and I suppose I liked the slightly less argumentative relationship she had with the Doctor in the second season a bit more, but overall I just love the story. Its what solidified Colin Baker as my favorite Classic Who Doctor, and probably my favorite Doctor overall (or possibly tied with Matt Smith, but I might give a slight edge to the 6th Doctor).

starsuperion likes this.
  5. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Oh I have to agree, the 6th doctor was magical. He could have had some great episodes if done well, with respect I really loved Remembrance of the Daleks!

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Remembrance" was Seventh Doctor. "Revelation" was Sixth, "Resurrection" was Fifth. Easy to get them mixed up.

7. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    It's kind of sad that Zoe is mostly remembered for lying across the TARDIS console and sticking her huge butt in the air.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Since I never did manage to rewatch either the Moffat era or Capaldi era before tonight, I think the plan will be to watch The Tenth Planet up to the point where Twice Upon A Time begins...

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Huge?" There is no way that word applies to any part of Zoe other than her brain and her eyes.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

You know, any time watching The Tenth Planet is a real chore, you know.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I rewatched it just before the special and I was impressed at how quickly it flew by! Not a perfect story. Hartnell had no chemistry with none of the regulars or guest cast. The plot was kind of weak. The big plan was to do nothing so as to let Mondas blow up by itself. The Cybermen were interesting in concept but didn't really do much other than show up a few times for brief spurts of havoc. But, it didn't seem to drag.I'm sure the mission control scenes would've felt high tech at the time!

12. Emperor-Tiberius

Its too fast, I think. And a stark contrast to the immediate following serial, the slow-paced Power of the Daleks.

13. Mr Awe

It does go by fast, but I'll take that over the plodding and overpadded story that is more common at that time!

I watched Power of the Daleks immediately after the 10th Planet and boy what a huge change that was! The Doctor has actual chemistry with his companions and can handle situations in a more subtle way than he could in 10th Planet. There was also a lot going on. Those 6 parts didn't drag on like 6 parters often do.

It was fun watching those in order and seeing what a change that must've been for the audiences of the day.

14. Emperor-Tiberius

I love Power. Between it, Genesis and Remembrance of the Daleks, you have a contender for the best Daleks story on DW.

15. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well, like many people, I watched The Tenth Planet the other day, watching the DVD with the animated part 4 for the first time (I watched the VHS version years ago). It does move along quickly, doesn't it? Helps keep you from noticing that the story's a bit of an oddly structured mess, though the Cybermen make a decent first impression. The animation for the fourth part was pretty good.

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Does anyone else want to watch Power of the Daleks all of a sudden, after the special last night?

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been watching The Visitation, and I remember now why I only got through episode one before stopping the first time I tried to watch it. Its really boring. Not THE most boring Classic Who serial I've seen (that will always be The Ambassadors of death), but its definitely hard to sit through. I like the highwayman, but besides that its just slow moving and not that interesting.

18. Emperor-Tiberius

I never liked The Visitation, despite it being OK. And Davison only clearly likes it for that one element at the end of the serial. But like most stuff with Five and Adric, its fairly boring and sags in the middle.

19. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I quite like The Visitation, but then I'm fond of that era in general. It's worth watching with the commentary on though which is a lot of fun.

20. Mr Awe

I like The Visitation. It's not the best DW story but it's entertaining. I like that era in general as well.