Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even in the New Adventures... the editor loved The Pit and thought it would be incredibly important to the ongoing continuity. But nobody else liked it, including the other writers, so it effectively vanished. Not never happened, just never referenced, even on occasions when it probably should have been.

2. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up Power of the Daleks, I'm a sucker for old Who, especially the second Doctor's stories.

Not sure I like the animation as much as previous remastered episodes though, not quite as polished.

3. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    it's a bit odd that Scaroth only ends up splintered through recorded human history. Or were there earlier splinters who eventually gave up on trying to get amoebas or dinosaurs to invent time travel?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How many of his 12 fragments did we actually see?

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. The Four Doctor

Regarding the fan debate about what to do if The Celestial Toymaker were ever returned, given the "catch a n*gger by the toe" version of eenie meenie miney moe that's in it. BBC Editorial Policy means that any DVD or streaming would have the line changed or muted but many fans are up in arms at that. I might have more sympathy for those fans if they weren't coming across as "they're taking away my precious racial slur!".

Steve Roby likes this.
  7. diankra

It's an awkward one. For 20 years Only Fools and Horses episodes have been edited to remove some racist comments from grandad, but at the time they reflected the attitudes such a character would have.
    You end up in the gap between being needlessly offensive, and falsifying earlier years.

8. The Four Doctor

I was watching Logopolis and I have to shake my head at the make-up artist. Sarah Sutton really suffers as a result. You're supposed to be breaking for Nyssa during the "he killed my step-mother and then my father..." speech but the viewer is distracted by how much lipstick and eyeshadow and blush that she is wearing.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Wasn't that part of the established Trakenite look in the previous serial, though? She was essentially a princess or noblewoman of Traken, part of a wealthy and pampered and ornately dressed elite, and she'd only just been taken from her homeworld in "Logopolis." So she hadn't yet adopted the more subdued makeup she'd have later on.

Although I could be wrong. Was she less made-up in "The Keeper of Traken" than in "Logopolis"? The two serials did have different make-up artists credited, Norma Hill for the former and Dorka Nieradzik for the latter.

10. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The Armageddon Factor.

Time for another Who marathon, starting with Castrovalva and going through season 19 in order.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched episode 1 of Planet of Giants. It was pretty entertaining. For the budget they had, they did the "giant" effects pretty well (even if every insect was conveniently "dead" :lol:). Its a decent idea for a story, and I like it better then the NuWho shrinking TARDIS story so far.

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Yeah, that was a fun story. :)

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Last one I watched was the Tenth Planet. Is it bad that I wasn't that impressed? Just felt very stagy and slow paced (and I know that era of Who could do better) and whilst the Cybermen were great, they seemed to flit in and out of the story.

14. kirk55555

I just finished Planet of Giants. It was pretty good. Not the greatest story, but it was a fun idea with a decent enough story. Reading up on it, its probably a good thing they merged episodes 3 and 4. the stuff with the pesticide people was the weakest link, so chopping some of that out and focusing on the cast in one episode probably helped the story a good deal.

15. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Watched Robots of Death earlier tonight. And all the bonus features. Toby Hadoke narrating a feature on robots in Doctor Who (co-starring D84) is great.

16. Eliczo

Eliczo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Been watching a few classics recently, I think next would be The Talons of Weng-Chiang.

Also found on youtube an excellent series of video's devoted to each season of Classic who, its made me want to watch some of the reconstructions of classics like the Marcra Terror that sounds far more intresting then I thought it was.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOt8i0lTzwaxKp9n--_sYKWSGxEMRN30o

17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's very biased against NuWho, though. I'd say irrationally so, too. But, to each their own. :)

18. kirk55555

Yeah, she is (although her reviews of bad NuWho episodes are usually hilarious, like Love & Monsters or some of the really bad Series 8 episodes). But, regardless of that, her guides to the classic Who seasons are great, and her opinion on NuWho has no real relevance to those videos.

19. Eliczo

Eliczo Lieutenant Red Shirt

True, and yeah a bit heavy on the dislike for new who but its not as if the criticisms are groundless.

It made me want to watch the Macra Terror, I knew of it but didn't expect to be as good as I heard.

20. diankra

Thing about Macra Terror is that we really don't know what it was like. Friends who were old enough to see it as kids recall it being unusually, disturbingly, directed, but without any episodes to watch we don't know whether that would now seem laughable or astonishing.