Klingon Behavior in Day of the Dove

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Spock's Barber, Dec 18, 2016.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love Kruge as a villain. But, clearly he was an idiot. :lol:

2. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

The 3rd season just had some unusual character deviations.

3. BillJ

I don't know? I really don't see those deviations.

4. Spock's Barber

Spock blabbing about his love life to Droxine in TCM, Scotty drooling over Mira in TLOZ, Kirk ignoring his ship's disappearence in TWS.....

5. BillJ

Spock, being logical, likely knows it is only a matter of time before knowledge of Vulcan sex drives becomes public knowledge. They have human doctors working on Vulcan and one that is then assigned to the Enterprise in season two.

Scotty drooling over pretty much anyone, including Palamas in "Who Mourns for Adonais".

Well, they were trying to survive a situation where they had no viable sources of water and were trying to be killed.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  6. Spock's Barber

But, but, but....Spock in DOTM and AT talks about the deeply, personal Vulcan rituals.

Scotty's first love are his warp engines.

Kirk has temporary love interests, but his first priority is the Enterprise. "Now I know why they call it 'she'."

The 3rd season deviated from these precepts at certain times.

geotrek likes this.
  7. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Deviating from very simple and predictable character traits fleshes out characters, and makes them real. People don't stick with any one tendency in any and all situations, no matter what. These are people not cartoons. Scotty being obsessed with his job doesn't mean he'll never ever fall in love. The fact that he's put off such things for so long actually means he'll probably go a bit foolish about it like a kid when he actually does get around to love. Which is just what happened in TLoZ. Fans often require simple absolute predictable consistency. If Christine likes lasagna in her 1st ep, she must like it just as much by her last episode!!

JonnyQuest037, Vger23 and BillJ like this.
  8. BillJ

And like nothing else, DAMMIT!!! :lol:

JonnyQuest037 and UnknownSample like this.
  9. BillJ

So does the second season. Scotty acts a fool over a woman as I pointed out earlier, Kirk doesn't seem too concerned about the Enterprise in "The Gamesters of Triskelion" either.

Also, if Spock had any kind of personal relationship with Leila Kalomi ("This Side of Paradise"), then I imagine she would've also figured out some of this personal stuff Spock was so worried about getting out.

For all the flaws from the original Star Trek, I find the actual characterizations of people and races hold together surprisingly well. :shrug:

10. Spock's Barber

So........following that train of thought, Kirk could have had an episode written where he is celibate and totally ignores a Trek babe trying to make a move on him. :whistle:

geotrek likes this.
  11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That episode is called Dagger of the Mind

12. Spock's Barber

That damn Neural Neutralizer turned Kirk into a candidate for the priesthood....ar least for one this episode.

13. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

No, that is not the train of thought presented. What was pointed out was that at least some of these so-called character violations aren't so out of character after all.
    ------------------
    As for Kirk, he might as well be celibate it seems. The only implied sex I can find during an episode seemed to occur offscreen in Bread and Circuses, though in Dagger, the Christamas party before the ep, presumably, but not necessarily...

Kirk usually gets business done and bypasses obvious sex opportunities. I'd almost say his many romances in season 3 would constitute some of your season 3 character violations therefore... except that these are well explained enough.

14. BillJ

Even if discontinuities exist, I'm not sure I see the issue. People are complicated and things in differing situations usually aren't equal.

15. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As for Kirk, he might as well be celibate it seems. The only implied sex I can find during an episode seemed to occur offscreen in Bread and Circuses, though in Dagger, the Christamas party before the ep, presumably, but not necessarily...

How about the 'putting on the boots scene' in "Wink of an Eye"? Of course, that was third season...http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/3x11/Wink_of_an_Eye_279.JPG

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  16. Spock's Barber

Notice the whistling emoticon :whistle:which means tongue in cheek.

17. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was actually one scene cut from the BBCs transmission of 1980 and earlier! I never got to see it until the arrival of the DVDs, even if I had read of the scene on the net!
    JB

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, and I found Kruge's reply to Kirk telling him the planet is destroying itself: Kruge: "Exhilarating, isn't it?!"; to be just plain stupid; like the majority of the Klingons portrayed in STII:TSFS.
    ^^^^
    Unfortunately, I think the TOS films are where TNG took its ideas for Klingon behavior from. To the detriment of the franchise.

19. Spock's Barber

When TOS went into syndication, the local television station would literally rip whole scenes out of the episodes. I would cringe whenever they did this, and it would be many, many years before I would see entire, uncut TOS episodes.

johnnybear likes this.
  20. geotrek

geotrek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes. Consider the behavior of Kras in "Friday's Child" ...very devious. However, in "Day of the Dove," Spock's Barber makes a good point, why wouldn't they have attacked ASAP? The "alien" was already effecting the attitudes, making them more aggressive. Spock's immediate call for more security means there was at least the threat.