Just watched 'The Five Doctors' for the first time.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Aldo, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ The way Baker & Tennant both start sentences with "wellll"

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. :)

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I have to say I really like Tom's idea of The Eleventh Doctor visiting a section of the TARDIS where he's able to revisit all of his previous incarnations. I think this is idea is probably the best way of handling all of them returning if a full blown story featuring them can't be worked out. Hell, they could even do audio for those no longer with us (or Eccleston maybe). It's a pity Eccleston has flat out ruled it out but I can understand where he's coming from.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wonder...could the BBC resuse the 9th Doctor hologram from Parting of the Ways? Something like that for all the Doctor's would be a good way to hide the fact that many don't look how they did, and as you say it might be easier with regards to the actors no longer with us.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what would people think of having one of the other actors made up and playing a different character?

I'd even be happy with something simple, like a centuries old, holographic recording in the Tardis to get an adventure started.

"Whats that Doctor?"

"Oh nothing. Just one of my old voicemails."

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a quick, murky impression of 1-3 would be good, wouldn't want to see someone being them 'live' or for any length of time.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Given Tennant's age, the fifth Doctor would fit as those born in the early seventies would remember a bit of the fourth doctor, but would remember the fifth more. Hence the line, it was more or less syaing you're the doctor I grew up with.

8. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. Plus the startled cry of, "What?!" And that strange sort of breathy "Awwww!" noise they both make. :lol:

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I thought it was Moffat's line. I'm pretty sure I read an interview with him where he said that he initially wass disgusted that they'd cast someone so young - i.e. Davison - as The Doctor but that Peter soon became his favourite incarnation.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Similarities aside, I think those 2 would be a lot of fun together.

Kind of opposite what 2 & 3 were like.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

What are you talking about? The banter between The Second and Third Doctors are the highlights of The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors!

12. Ar-Pharazon

Oh, I loved those exchanges (with #1 added in - "what happened to the little fellow?"), I just figure 4 & 10 are enough alike, there would be no bickering.

Closer to 2 #11's in The Almost People.

13. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If that is what Tom has come up with, I say let's do it! It would work if great care was takento be loyal to the Doctors shown.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the other hand, sometimes the people who are most similar are the ones who have the hardest time getting along.

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Watching The War Games last year reminded me of just what a buffoon Two appeared to be, constantly oohing and ahhing every time he was faced with a threat, and practically falling over himself at the same time. Two was either a genius doing a great impression of an idiot or an idiot doing a great impression of a genius.

I concur. No-one likes seeing their own flaws paraded in front of them. (Anyway, I think Nine was closer to Four than Ten was.)

16. Christopher

Well, being a genius doesn't preclude one from being alarmed when faced with danger. You seem to be treating courage or physical coordination as a measure of intelligence, which is kind of a non sequitur.

Although it's certainly true that the Second Doctor's outward mien led people to underestimate his intelligence and competence greatly, at least until they got to know him. He did have a tendency to make mistakes now and then (sometimes Zoe was ahead of him in solving a problem, one of the few companions you could say that about), but ultimately he was still the Doctor.

And he was the archetype for the comical side of later Doctors like Four, Seven, Ten, and especially Eleven, who's the most Troughtonesque Doctor since Troughton.

17. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Tennant's on record as saying Davison was "his" Doctor. If you do the math on Tennant's age when Davison became the Doctor, it works out.

The fact he went on to marry Davison's daughter is both really cool and the slightest bit creepy at the same time! ;)

"Appeared to be" is the key. Many articles on the Troughton Doctor have indicated that the buffoon part was just an act - basically Troughton was doing the Colombo thing before Peter Falk did. Apparently the recently discovered episode of Underwater Menace includes a scene in which the Second Doctor's darker-than-you'd-expect nature comes into sharp focus. And there's also the iconic "No one else can do what we're doing" speech he gives (IIRC) Victoria in Tomb of the Cybermen.

The sad part is so many of Troughton's stories are lost, so modern-day audiences tend to only know him from a relatively few moments such as his bickering with Pertwee in the reunions, his bizarre regeneration (which is actually the most upsetting regeneration of all especially when Ten's later comments in The End of Time about regeneration reveal that it is in many ways a true death, so funny faces or no you're effectively watching a man's execution at the end of the War Games), and the Warner Bros-esque bit from The Invasion where Troughton is running away from a bunch of explosions. The "true" Second Doctor from what I hear tended to come through in the lost stories.

But there's no doubt Troughton made an impact, considering Matt Smith has very much patterned his performance after him.

Alex

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Alex, age isn't always the factor. I'm 40 and Matt Smith is my fave Doctor. My least fave Doctors are the two from my teens, Colin Baker and Sly McCoy.

I can't find the Moffat quote I mentioned, but he has said that he thinks Davison is the best actor to play the role. And there's also the small matter of him being, you know, the credited writer for the episode!

http://www.tv.com/people/steven-moffat/trivia/

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm 41 and Smith is pretty close to being my Doctor now, it's between him and Davison anyway, with Troughton hovering around behind them waving :)

20. Christopher

Conventional wisdom is that your first Doctor is usually your favorite, but that's not true for me; the first Doctor I saw was Tom Baker, whereas my favorites are Pertwee, Troughton, and Tennant, not necessarily in that order.