Just finished Ex Machina - Want more post-TMP books!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrotherBenny, Dec 23, 2007.

1. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GUARDS!!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, I've read almost everyother new Trek book as it's come out, I've even read CLB other two books.

3. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately Mere Anarchy isn't avaliable in paper format yet, so I won't be able to read that follow up to Ex Machina. Which is a shame because EM was an interesting alternative Trek novel, very much in the same spirit as TMP.

4. BrotherBenny

*prods JD with electric stunner* Read faster, boy!

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

In the interest of full disclosure, The Darkness Drops Again, CLB's contribution to the Mere Anarchy miniseries, is not a followup to Ex Machina as such. In fact, the book covers a lengthy time frame, starting shortly after TMP, and ending shortly before TWOK, filling in the missing years admirably. Mind you, readers of ExM will find much that is similar, particularly in the early parts of the story, but to consider it a followup to the novel is misleading.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Right... I realized that TDDA should be a part of Mere Anarchy first, a continuation of ExM second -- so that MA readers who hadn't read ExM wouldn't be confused. So it only contains minor references to elements or characters specific to ExM.

However, it did let me use some of the long-term ideas I had in mind for possible ExM followups, and it let me work in some TMP production details I didn't learn about until after writing ExM (like the modular shuttlecraft concept that Andrew Probert developed for the movie).

7. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I haven't read the Mere Anarchy series yet, since I have not tried the e-book format (I am hoping this series will be published in an omnibus edition at some point.)

However, I LOVED Ex Machina. Christopher, you captured the post-TMP era perfectly. Better than anyone else. (I also was not a fan of the fromulaic New Earth series). I hope that you get to pick up some of the seeds that you planted in that novel at some point...

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I know a few people who do have Sony Readers 500 or 505 in the UK. There is a shop based in New York City that will ship out of the US for a 505.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/524807-REG/Sony_PRS505LC_PRS_505_Reader_Digital_Book.html

9. BrotherBenny

Thanks JWolf, I'll look into that.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just looking at the supporting character images on the annotations, and I noticed that one of them is an Andorian. So I was wondering if the book gives any kind of explanation, or at least acknowledgement, for the differences in Andorian antennae in the different eras? I understand that it was simply a makeup change, and I know it doesn't need any kind of explanation, but I was simply curious if there was one.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I prefer to chalk it up to makeup changes and not worry about it. At most, I'm open to the idea that there's one Andorian "race" with antennae coming from the back of the head and one with them coming from the forehead, but I'm not going to worry about all the variations in antenna design. But it's not something I see any need to call attention to or explain away in print.

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

It doesn't sound like any major explanation is needed - I always put it down to being something akin to the way some humans have earlobes and some don't.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I can live with that. Like I said, I was purely curious.