June 2013 challenge: "Blaze of Glory"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Cobalt Frost, May 29, 2013.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

No need to apologise. :) As I said, it can be revived anytime there's enough interest again.

2. LilyThompson

LilyThompson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What is the theme for next month? I'm DYING to know. Also: How do I submit, where, and how do I view others' submissions to vote? And, is the winning-story thread the "Writing Challenge- The winning entries", (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page), by Starkers?

3. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    The challenge-winning stories are archived, for lack of a better word, in the "Winning entries" thread. As far as any future challenges, I refer you to the four or so posts above yours.

4. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

That's too bad. I was just thinking maybe I would give it a try sometime, but I am spending most of my writing time on my first fan-fiction story. Maybe if you guys revive it one of these days I will enter.

5. Count Zero

Well, as I said, if there's enough interest the contest can be started up again. I suggest starting a thread to gauge the interest.

6. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I know this is over a month old, but I would like to offer some suggestions. I'm busy with college at the moment, but I'd love to see the challenge come back.

What if it was done on a seasonal basis instead of monthly? For example if the next one started on the first day of winter (December 21nd this year, I believe) then the deadline could be one week before the first day of spring, leaving a week for voting before the next one starts. The extended time frame would also give people time to recover from unexpected fits of reality getting in the way.

Also, lets open it up a bit. Yes, this is a Trek forum, but we do sometimes see other fandoms represented in this fanfic section. Why not let them play in the challenge too? I think that would give people a lot more to work with, and possibly generate more interest.

7. Count Zero

I quite like that idea. Anyone else up for it?

I'm not sure about that. First of all, the winner of the previous challenge has the right to set the theme and the limitations. They're free to include other fandoms or crossovers if they want. We've had those in the past.
    However, most people are unfamiliar with everything that's out there which generally makes it harder to understand a single story told in that universe. That's why I'm a bit wary of making that a rule.

8. Cobalt Frost

"Unexpected fits of reality" :D I'm going to start using that!

I'm down with a "seasonal" challenge. With a decent amount of time to write, we could get some really meaty stories.

9. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Maybe two weeks to vote? Meatier stories might take longer to read.

10. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

But there should be some limit. A 100k behemoth is not going to get read.

11. CaptainGold

CaptainGold Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello!

Cobalt, may I recommend that you produce a new theme and give it a whirl this month?

After being away for several years (except for one misbegotten act last year), it just seems to me that a lot of people who used to submit regularly for contests have become so wrapped up in their personal story lines they have not entered anything in the contest.

Maybe the mods and/or site owner can help here by some kind of award for the chosen story each month/quarter/year/light year/time travel distortion. Once suggestion: maybe a note on the main forum page: A note congratulating the winner and pointing readers to that posted story? Or maybe there is some bling someone might have to give out to winners, like old Lost in Space memorabilia or something?

Please note: I am not voting for this post as an excellent post to read.... :angryrazz::brickwall:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  12. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

On a personal level I don't think there's any real future in prizes donated by others offering of any real incentive for people to enter these contests - fan fiction is by its very nature a labour of love for want of a better term, not something that is done for any sort of a reward.

Perhaps I'm throwing a curve-ball in here, or completely off the mark, but does anyone else think there is any mileage in the idea that the concepts being generated by winners might be a little TOO open? For example concepts like "revenge" or "betrayal" are sometimes so wide in their scope that it can be difficult to distil down into an actual story?

Could a more narrow concept help focus the mind? Something like "your chosen crew answers a distress signal from a vessel thought lost a century earlier, but they are not the only ones to have responded..."

Thoughts? :)

13. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

There have definitely been a lot of broad topics; I agree with you there.

This last one didn't appeal to me as I'm not much of a space battle writer and I likely wouldn't be able to write something viable and keep it a manageable size.

It doesn't help not having much in the way of commenting. I appreciate people voting, and there are read counts so they are at least opening up the topics, but then ... nuffin'.

14. Count Zero

Re: Angry Fanboy

I do have some but I don't want to influence the debate too much. That said, we also had narrower themes.

I imagine that some of the problems the challenge was plagued by before its hiatus could be remedied by not having challenges that often, i.e. using the proposed model of challenges running a season. Presumably, more people would find the time to read, comment and vote on the stories and to write them in the first place, too, of course.

Also, a story idea might present itself over the course of a longer time to authors who at first can't connect to the theme of the current challenge. I don't know about others but I like to have two weeks set aside for writing so if I only come up with a story idea three weeks into a monthly challenge I discard it because the time isn't there to work out the details.

Anyway, I'd propose we try the thing with longer running challenges and see where it gets us. If Cobalt Frost is still up for it he may set a new challenge that ends some time before the beginning of spring (there should be a week or so for voting). I think it would be okay if it started before December 21st because of the rather busy time around Christmas.

Otherwise, I'll set a new challenge on December 21st.

15. Cobalt Frost

I'll get down to Muppet Labs and see what I can whip up...

16. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are we doing this challenge? I was about to say that I could try and get something done. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head. Haven't tried to plot the story yet. Just wondering because I think it would be nice to do some more writing in here, and I, admittedly, haven't been around for awhile. I just have a hard time coming up with ideas to write about so this challenge is great for me.

As for ideas to improve the challenges, how about we have a thread where we kick around ideas and then we vote on which challenge we want? It might mean there are more entries and it would give people who haven't won the chance to come up with a challenge (some new ideas, too).

17. Count Zero

No, not this one. But there will be a new one this month. So stay tuned! :)

18. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool!

19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to the challenges again. Having the submission time last longer would help stir up some interesting ideas and give time for them to be worked on.

20. Cobalt Frost

Question: if we're doing this challenge seasonally, do we want to use the first days of winter/spring/summer/fall as the challenge start dates, with a week or two for voting at the end of the "season block"?