Jon Watt's to direct "Fantastic Four"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Dec 11, 2020.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed Watts' Spider-Man movies, so I'm really excited to see what he has in store for the Fantastic Four. Kind of hoping they skip over the origin since we've already gotten two different versions, and it's simple enough they could easily cover it in a quick flashback or just some dialogue.

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Already forgotten like what's his name from Enterprise. The pilot guy. I think his name was Trevor Mayberry or something.

Jason

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

With all the multiverse shenanigans cropping up in other Phase Four (ha!) movies and shows, I really hope they get Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan to cameo as their respective Human Torches.

Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see the character played straight (er, you know what I mean...) for once.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

As the absolute monarch, Victor decides how legal homosexuality is on Latverian soil, and if gay marriage is recognized by the state.

Back in 2015, Doom was master of reality in Secret Wars, if he was against gay feelings, he could have built the universe without it?

Although if there were LGBT issues, Riri Williams was Queen of Latveria for a couple hours, she might have "fixed" things.

So... Do we think Dr Doom is Homophobic? Or has Latveria been a gay mecca since Von Doom took the throne "30 years" ago?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm glad to see this announced. I was hoping for Peyton Reed, but I think Jon Watts could be fun too.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That would be a lot of fun! :D

Skywalker likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt they're going to want to do something like that in their first movie. I could see wanting to focus on establishing this version of the characters before complicating things with past versions.

Skywalker likes this.
  9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Doom is not bound by religious Dogma.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Be a good post-credits teaser, though.

The Nth Doctor and Skywalker like this.
  11. Guy Gardener

Christianity sure, unless you have a personal beef with Dracula, which Dr Doom does.

But what we learnt from Dr Strange recently is that if you want to be a first class wizard, there are rituals that you have to constantly perform to keep your body and soul as an acceptable conduit for the magical energy of a lot of stern gods and monsters who can be dogmatic and Kafkaesque.

Food, sex and prayer.... Eat pray love?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Doom only hates Reed Richards and he fears Squirrel Girl. Everyone else gets a pass along as you don't get in his way.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

So, we know that Kang the Conqueror, a descendant of Reed Richards, is being played by Jonathan Majors, an African-American. I wonder if that's the direction they're going to go with Reed? It would almost be worth it just to see the internet explode, including certain individuals in this forum. Hell, why stop there? Let's have a completely non-caucasian Fantastic Four.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Kang's from like 1000 years in the future. Lot time to pick up an African ancestor or two. ;)

Ovation likes this.
  15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I saw someone online in the wake of this announcement mentioning that they'd first realized they were gay, at the age of ten, when they say Chris Evans in the "ice bath" scene in Fantastic Four. It occurred to me that it would be nice if Johnny Story were gay this time. It's a choice they can make without changing any of the dynamics that the long-time fans expect as far as the way the characters relate to one another.

The FF and Spider-Man are the Marvel characters that mattered to me when I was a kid reading comics. I also kind of liked the Hulk. My brother was very much into Nick Fury in his SHIELD incarnation (when we were little he was still only a WWII sergeant) and Sub-Mariner and a few of the others.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why should it? Directors are capable of adapting to source material and if a more serious tone is called for i guess they won't shoehorn some levity into it just because.

I agree, Doom is one of the main villans of the F4 and one of the best villains Marvel ever produced so rushing him into being the villain could be premature. I'd rather they lay the groundwork in the first movie, establishing the connection to the F4 and his character before going full Doom in the second or even third movie.

I have to disagree - the acting was modest to really bad ( Jessica Alba is just not a good actress, period) but so were the movies, so even good actors may not have saved them ( see the Star Wars prequel trilogy with a plethora of proven good actors yet they couldn't save that crap).

Alba was eye candy, plain and simple and was probably bad even when she was invisible. The others also didn't make their mark on acting history but i can agree that Evans as Johnny Storm was the best part as he embodied that character and his shenanigans with Ben Grimm quite well.

However i might have to clobber you on the last remark - Captain America is the much beefier and demanding role and Evans made it his own much like RDJ owns Iron Man, forget recasting these two roles.

Let's just forget the mishandling of the F4 franchise and hope Marvel won't break its streak of delivering well developed and cast characters.

Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  17. Guy Gardener

John's catch phrase is "Flame on!" and he is flaming.

His name is Human Torch, but they will call him the Human fleshlight.

Ben or Franklin might be less problematic.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is possible, and I don't care either way, but Kang is a very distant relative of Richards from what I remember. Reed could be any ethnicity and still be Kang's relative with how far apart they are in the family tree.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel like it's almost certain that John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are going to be Reed Richards and Sue Storm. They should then get The Rock to play The Thing and use CGI in away were you can see The Thing have facial reactions. Not sure about Johnny.

Jason

Jax likes this.
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Dwayne Johnson would be a good Thing, except that the character's not really his style. Ben is pretty dark - glum, moody, easily baited to anger and generally pessimistic.

Diesel could do it to some extent, but his abilities are a little circumscribed.

The character's going to be entirely CG, so it's really about casting for character rather than physical type.