Join the boycott of "Discovery" blu-rays until we get our beloved DS9 and Voyager Blu-Rays!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jayson1, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

Oh I know, I was comparing the extra cost of special effects to TNG which was also mastered on videotape.

2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Just when I think I have seen some really poorly thought out plans.........a thread like this pops up and trumps them all.

SolarisOne likes this.
  3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If that's what you think I'd recommend actually watching some of the show, especially episodes in the second half of the season.

CaptainMurdock and BillJ like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah, The Orville isn't "Family Guy in space". The show just got stronger and stronger as the season progressed and they gained their footing. One can tell the creative staff have a real love for Star Trek and sci-fi in general.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I am thankful I have never watched those shows in such a low resolution as 480i, 576i all the way. ;)

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last century we used to fit 30 to 40 episodes of Star Gate, Star Trek or Buffy onto a CD.

The resolution must have been 0.5p

Good times on dial up. :D

feek61 likes this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I stand with you, Jayson1.

Jayson1 likes this.
  8. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

It is a TNG fan film with the numbers filed off......I mean from the soft focus to the color of the upholstery. I do not dislike it. Lots of Berman era folks BTS too. There were some cringe worthy moments for me though.

Vger23, SolarisOne, Admiral2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek: The Animated Series :evil:

10. DonIago

So, what do I need to boycott to get "Buffy", "Angel" and "SG-1" in Blu ray?

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's easy. "Buffy","Angel" and "SG-1" dvd's! Once they see people aren't buying the dvd's they will understand they got to improve the quality to get the people to buy them so then you get the Blu-Ray treatment. The best way to let someone know you want to buy their product is to never spend money on it. They will assume it's out of spite and then do anything to appease you!

Jason

12. DonIago

By that logic, there's a lot of things I've inadvertently successfully boycotted, because there's a lot of things manufacturers release all the time that I have no interest in, but I never buy them...and the Great River flows ever on!

Jayson1 likes this.
  13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They tried remastering Buffy in HD a few years ago. They outsourced the first three seasons to a totally new group who did such a terrible job, they showed in on TV for a few weeks, got such a backlash that plans are to keep it DVD for the foreseeable future.

Look up the comparison on youtube, it looks TNG season 2 look like a masterpiece of upgrading,

14. DonIago

...now I'm scared...

Of course, they could just do a better job with a remaster, but why do that when they can simply reboot the series entirely...

...this thread is making my head hurt.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Buffy and especially Angel need a far better remastering job than the studio is willing to pay for, so it's the same as DS9 and VGR.

4 series we may never see in proper Bluray fashion.

16. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

BROWNCOAT.

17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I want all 5 years of Dark Shadows in glorious hi-def color on BRD. All 1225 episodes. Never mind that the first couple years were shot in black & white, and all of it is on crappy videotape... or kinescope in cases where the master tape was lost!

And I won’t buy any more Star Wars movies til I get them!

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Soon the US government is going to entitle every citizen with 10 terabytes of free storage at birth, or at least upon the signing of their birth certificate, to secure a digital identity the government can control.

KennyB likes this.
  19. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

As much as I love "Voyager" and "Deep Space Nine", I don't see myself doing that. Sorry.

KennyB likes this.
  20. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From my own perspective, I have essentially ignored Discovery to this point because I am boycotting CBS All-Access. I fully intend to purchase the blu-rays and start watching in support of the Star Trek franchise, so no, I won't consider this - and it won't work anyway.

Where are the sales going to come from to support paying a team to go through the film vaults, find the right take of every scene of every episode, rescanning them all and cleaning them up.... before you even talk about the visual effects. You are rebuilding the entire series from scratch!

And at the risk of sounding even more like a grumpy "get off my lawn" guy - I don't see why so many people are hung up on there not being a blu-ray available. I get it that it's disappointing not to have them, but we are not talking about VHS tapes here.

DVDs are not the current standard, but they are at least decent (IMO), and really we have already started the process of Blu-ray itself being replaced by 4K UHD, so why even bother with blu-rays at this point? If you're going to rebuild the series, you might as well do it in 4K. Compared to the more fixed costs of the effort to upgrade the series to a different format, the incremental increase to do 4K over blu-ray is probably relatively small.

At some point all these shows are not going to be released anymore in the current format of the day. Do you think CBS is going to put TNG out there in 4K? I plan to just enjoy what is released, in whatever format that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.