Jim Henon's The Dark Crystal Sequel Script to be Turned Into 12 Issue Comic Book Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Feb 10, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They announced in November that the script The Power of The Dark Crystal, the unproduced sequel to Jim Henson's cult classic fantasy movie The Dark Crystal will be coming out as a 12 issue comic book series from Boom! Studios imprint, Archaia. The original script was by David Odell, the writer of the first movie, and Anette Odell and Craig Pearce, and the comic book will be written by Si Spurrier with art by Kelly and Nicole Matthews.
    Here's the description of issue #1, which comes this coming Tuesday, Feb. 15:
    The Dark Cystal is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I've been dying to see story since it was first announced back in May 2005. I am disappointed it won't be a movie, but after seeing what I'm Archaia did with their prequel graphic novel trilogy, The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, I'm happy to see it as a comic.

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sounds great, I'm in the same boat as you and thisnis great news! I'm excited!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was hoping I'd be able to find a preview somewhere, but it doesn't look like they've released one.
    I'm wondering if there's going to be a lot of expansion from the original script, because 12 issues is a lot for a movie adaptation. It seems like most of the ones I've come across are usually are 4 or 5 issues, so I'm wondering how this one ended up so long.
    I just saw that they released the original script for Tale of Sand, Archaia's previous unproduced Henson script, so maybe if this does well enough they'll do the same for PotDC.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Depends how many pages each issue is. Most comics have a lot of ads, no?

I think 12 would do a movie justice.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the ones I've read haven't really had that many adds these days.
    Here are some of the more recent movie adaptations I know of:
    Star Trek (2009): 6 issues, 147 page collected edition
    The Wrath of Kahn (adapted in 2009): 3 issues
    The Force Awakens: 6 issues, 154 page collected edition
    GI Joe: Rise of Cobra: 4 issues
    Guardians of the Galaxy: 2 issues
    Thor: 2 issues

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

How do those compare with the movies? Anything get omitted or compressed?

I've only ever read novelizations of movies (Start Trek & Star Wars mostly), and those novels obviously had more than the movies.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure, I haven't read them myself, but I do know from the reviews of The Force Awakens one that it did skip a few things, but it didn't sound like it was enough stuff to make up 6 more issues. And it's also worth keeping in mind that the first Dark Crystal movie is only 93 minutes, while the shortest of those is The Wrath of Khan is 112. So if PoTDC is around the same length of the first one you'd expect it to be quite a bit shorter than them.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first issue came out today, and I got it, but I haven't read it yet.

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope it proves to be an interesting story.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished the issue and it was pretty good. It's mostly just introducing the new character Thurma, the Fireling and setting up the new Gelfling lead world, but it is pretty interesting. The Gelfling society isn't quite the big happy utopia I was kind of expecting though, which I actually think makes it more interesting. Just one warning though,
    Kira and Jen don't really do anything until the last couple pages.
    I also got the 30th Anniversary Labyrinth comic, but I wasn't sure if I should post my thoughts here, or in the general comics thread. I'm not going to read it today though, I want to get back to the Star Trek novel I've been working on.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017