Jeffrey Combs for Star Trek

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Myriam Schorn, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Myriam Schorn

Myriam Schorn Ensign Newbie

I hope nobody minds that I lobby for Jeffrey Combs here, but one of the fan wishes over the last couple of yeats was to see him back as a Shran (-descendant), though he has been associated with Dr. Boyce from Stange New Worlds lately.

In an interview on TrekMovie on June 6 he said the following about a possible offer to be on "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds"" " I deeply appreciate the enthusiasm of the fans. I love them so much...I would love it."
    Let's help make this happen by signing this petition to CBS and sharing! We are about to reach 1000 signatures. bit.ly/JC4SNW or if you prefer: send a tweet to the powers to be:
    @Alex_Kurtzman @startrekcbs@StarTrek

Thanks,
    Myriam

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. I mean, I like the guy, but really my world doesn't revolved around whether or not Jeffrey Combs gets another role in Star Trek again.

And at this point we don't even know if Dr. Boyce will even be in Strange New World.

cultcross, Midquest and KennyB like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Combs as done great work for Trek.

I really want Trek to move on.

cultcross and Midquest like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

When you say Jeffrey Combs, are you speaking metaphorically about Brian Brophy?

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling they've already mapped out who they want to have in SNW. If they have Boyce, Jeffery Combs isn't who I'd picture in the role. In DS9 and ENT, he played a very specific type of character. Weyoun was an enemy who wanted to be a "friend". Shran split the difference and was a frenemy. I don't know what else Combs has done, but he seems like he's basically at home playing that type of character. Boyce seems more like he'd be the male version of Guinan.

If they want to have Jeffery Combs in a role that's more naturally suited to him, then works for me. But even when I binge-watched ENT during the first month of Quarantine, no matter how much I saw of him as Shran, I still thought of Weyoun.

6. Myriam Schorn

Frankly, he himself considers the chances of being back in Trek as very slim "and slim has left town". However, it can't hurt, after all these actors also rely on being invited to conventions and the Star trek rat pack is still playing, too. At the end if he feels only the appreciation of the fans, then it was worth my time.

7. fireproof78

I say go for it but I see no reason if appreciate from fans is the only motivation. I think a card would do better.

8. Myriam Schorn

It's not the only motivation - gosh certainly not. It's the third. 1. role in Star Trek 2. keep him being invited to cons. But I need a fall-back motivation. If 1 is my only motivation then chances of being disappointed are higher than 0.

9. fireproof78

You don't think he won't keep getting invited to cons?

10. Myriam Schorn

That's not implied. I just want to increase the likelihood of it to happen! We have to keep asking... the more we ask for, the more we get. We bring the money to the studio after all

11. fireproof78

Keep on asking.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll gladly sign a petition to get Brian Brophy back to Star Trek! After the way they insulted him on Picard, the franchise owes him.;)
    The only time I was thinking of Weyoun while watching Combs in a different role was his role on Voyager Tsunkatse. But then, that character was basically Weyoun-lite having the same mannerisms and personality, even wearing similarly coloured clothes. And the make-up was near human enough that it didn't really disguise Combs that much, similar to the Weyoun make-up.

13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the guy, but I think it's a long putt that we'll see him as Boyce

14. Myriam Schorn

I would be happy with any role. I am a big Shran-fan, so he or his son would be ...delightful. Just another recurrent guest -role, for example. We didn't pitch him for a specific role. Whatever you want, ask for more.. ;)

15. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jeffrey Combs is great when he's playing weird, quirky characters. I liked him as Weyoun and Brunt but I thought he was terrible as Shran. His other characters like Tiron and Penk also didn't really stand out. I don't think he'd be right as Boyce.

16. fireproof78

I don't want more of the same.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to have Combs on DSC or PIC or SNW, but I don't see him as Boyce.

(For that role, I'm sticking with my first pic: John Slattery)

Lord Garth likes this.
  18. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

With the exception of the one breaking news thread, we're going to be shunting Strange New Worlds threads to Future of Trek, so... Whooooosh.

To answer the question, I think Trek should seek out new actors. Combs has done a lot in the franchise and while I enjoyed many of his characters, particularly Weyoun, I'm in no particular hurry to have him back again.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It wouldn't hurt to have him guest star. Let's not pretend that SNW doesn't exist as a platform for a rather deep dive into pandering to long-time fans.

20. Muji

Muji Commander Red Shirt

Shran is one of my three favourite Trek characters, so having him back would be really great, but if it doesn’t happen then that’s fine. I do love him though. An excellent actor who can portray different characters in totally different ways.