JEEZ!!!! Not ANOTHER Top 100 of TV List!!!!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Foxhot, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

I'm afraid so. Final. Official. And totally unbiased as possible. Here it comes. Mix, match, compare, expel, retain. The choice is yours.

100 THE NEW ZOO REVUE
    99 LAND OF THE GIANTS
    98 THE BRADY BUNCH
    97 MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000
    96 DR. QUINN, MEDICINE WOMAN
    95 THE MOD SQUAD
    94 SPACE: 1999
    93 ALL COMMERCIALS: A STEVE MARTIN TV SPECIAL
    92 THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO
    91 THE STARLOST
    90 THE LIEUTENANT
    89 EIGHT IS ENOUGH
    88 JOHNNY SOKKO AND HIS FLYING ROBOT
    87 THE FACTS OF LIFE
    86 SPEED RACER
    85 FAME
    84 LOST IN SPACE (original version)
    83 The Michael Kuzak vs. Douglas Brackman War on L.A. LAW
    82 LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE
    81 I SPY
    80 BENNY HILL
    79 Marvel's AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
    78 MEDICAL CENTER
    77 THE MUPPET SHOW
    76 MILLENIUM
    75 THE MUNSTERS
    74 QUINCY, M.E.
    73 SEALAB 2012
    72 HAWAII FIVE-O (the first one)
    71 THE NEWSROOM
    70 THE MONKEES
    69 THE FANTASTIC JOURNEY
    68 ADAM-12
    67 BOSTON LEGAL
    66 POLICE SQUAD!
    65 THE MORTON DOWNEY, JR. SHOW
    64 The final five Jimmy Spits episodes of NYPD BLUE
    63 MODERN FAMILY
    62 THE SHIELD
    61 THE ODD COUPLE ('70s)
    60 COMBAT!
    59 FAMILY GUY
    58 ORPHAN BLACK
    57 THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS
    56 The Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker DR. WHO adventures
    55 ROBOT CHICKEN
    54 COLUMBO
    53 XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS
    52 MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
    51 THE McLAUGHLIN GROUP
    50 GAME OF THRONES
    49 All the SATURDAY NIGHT LIVES with Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman
    48 TOUR OF DUTY
    47 BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1987-1990)
    46 The 1967-1970 color DRAGNETs
    45 ER (not the first one with Elliott Gould and Clooney)
    44 BAND OF BROTHERS
    43 CAGNEY AND LACEY
    42 THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR
    41 THE BLACKLIST
    40 BARNEY MILLER
    39 THE OUTER LIMITS (black-and-white)
    38 RENO 911!
    37 THE WIRE
    36 POLITICALLY INCORRECT
    35 WILD PALMS
    34 MR. BEAN
    33 LONESOME DOVE
    32 ALIAS
    31 THE SOPRANOS
    30 ONE DAY AT A TIME (1975-1984)
    29 AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM
    28 NORTHERN EXPOSURE
    27 TORCHWOOD: CHILDREN OF EARTH
    26 BATMAN
    25 SIX FEET UNDER
    24 THE AVENGERS
    23 THE VICAR OF DIBLEY
    22 BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
    21 SNEAK PREVIEWS with Siskel and Ebert
    20 HOMELAND
    19 THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM
    18 PRIME SUSPECT (the good ones, not the NBC one)
    17 PICKET FENCES
    16 ARE YOU BEING SERVED?
    15 V (the 1983 two-part miniseries)
    14 I, CLAUDIUS
    13 WKRP IN CINCINNATI
    12 THE ANDY GRIIFITH SHOW
    11 ST. ELSEWHERE
    10 THE HONEYMOONERS
    9 M*A*S*H
    8 OZ
    7 SHOGUN
    6 ALL IN THE FAMILY
    5 STAR TREK (1966-1969)
    4 PRISONER: CELL BLOCK H
    3 HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET
    2 I LOVE LUCY
    1 HILL STREET BLUES

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This list is clearly by somebody who prefers episodic TV to serial and vastly so. And thinks simplistic messaging with pat happy endings is a virtue.

No Twin Peaks, no Breaking Bad, nothing from NBCs big comedy blocks either from the Seinfeld or the Office era. But tons of cheesy one dimensional sitcoms where somebody learns a valuable lesson every week, then the same valuable lesson a month later. Family Guy but no Simpsons or South Park. We’re lucky they even threw in Sopranos and GoT.

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  3. Foxhot

Numbers One and Four ARE serials. Number Three was usually more serial than episodic. Numbers One, Three and Four. Do you notice any simplistic segments in HILL STREET, HOMICIDE, OZ or PCBH? They're all in the top eight.

Did SHOGUN end happily?

Was ALL IN THE FAMILY pat? Was M*A*S*H simplistic for you during its silly or serious phases?

''They'' didn't ''throw in'' SOPRANOS or GAME OF THRONES. I put in SOPRANOS and GAME OF THRONES.

There are four additional serials in #11-20 as well.

I do prefer extended tales to self-contained during the final countdown, obviously. Despite the sitcoms in the lower 100, I do prefer the hard and heavy to the frivolous, be it TV or movies. That's why there's only one soap opera here, and it's actually well-acted.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Oh, sorry, the way you presented it it seemed like you got it from some online publisher, I didn't know it was your personal list.

You said "This is another top 100 TV list", you didn't say "This is my personal favorite 100 TV shows". So I responded to it as such. If I knew it was somebody's list of personal favorites and not the work of some magazine trying to make a definitive list I would have responded very differently.

Yeah, I guess some of those are serials, just the ones that are are predominantly in the category of "Network TV-ish political but still risk averse" except the HBO ones. Shows that have intelligent themes but still leave you with simple digestible takeaways. Omitting most of the great shows that are a little more complexly themed, high concept, dense, cerebral, dark, sarcastic, etc.

Which is not a problem when you're just telling us your personal opinion of course, but would be a problem with a list published by critics. :)

The sort of shows that I like that you don't like are the sarcastic and/or high concept comedies like Seinfeld, The Office, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Community, etc, or the dense, dark, and/or high concept dramas like Lost, Westworld, Breaking Bad, etc.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Foxhot likes this.
  5. 1001001

1001001 I Like the Nightlife, Baby! Moderator

3e9zjx.jpg

Galileo7, Cutie McWhiskers and Foxhot like this.
  6. Foxhot

I love HBO in general. This list is not as new as it could be, therefore some recent or unseen shows are absent

I do like SEINFELD also, and while I have a complete box set of it, I never quite opened it yet as it was running continuously on free TV. I have seen BREAKING BAD...but only the final episode, in a hotel. I'll admit that's no way to approach what most regard as a classic, though had I not seen the final I still would be totally bereft of BB due to work and time issues.

I seem to have left out LEAVE IT TO BEAVER as well from the 100. That seems wrong to me. I plumb forgot. Most of these 100 are complete box sets in my oversize collection.

7. Foxhot

I still keep forgetting her eyes are on the TOP of her head!

8. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Xena and Buffy are on it so I’m content.

9. Foxhot

Since you mentioned XENA (and IF you know every guest on it), one of its guests is the original star of WENTWORTH, which is a great reimagining of #4. You could never get enough people to see CELL BLOCK H.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles ZARDU HASSELFRAU Premium Member

TL;DR

Also, only the five-episode arc of NYPD Blue where Jimmy Smits carks it? :wtf:

11. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Mad Men would be at or near the top spot for me.

Kor

12. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

Based on what you said I doubt "Star Trek" is for any of the spinoffs, just TOS...

Happy endings and lessons aren't always a bad thing but TOS had a few instances of where they just went through hell or deaths but in the end there's a big ol' ha-ha laugh out loud joke that felt as much out of place as I would in Studio 54, if it were still running that is... the sole exception to this would be "Day of the Dove" where everyone was faking it so the alien would vamoose...

13. Foxhot

Yes. That's how great those particular episodes were. They're as much about the other characters as well as Smits.....how his impending death is affecting them. My family went through this general situation with our mother for an equivalent length of time, as likely have most of you. We went through it a year after Bobby Simone's friends and family did.

NYPD BLUE's a good show with a great Franz. HILL STREET BLUES is a great show with a great Franz (at times).

But Franz's NYPD scenes could still get repetitive with the violence and the threats of same. Smits and company elevated their five episodes to absolute greatness.

As for L.A. LAW, that show was also caught in a similar rut not even Smits could save. But when Harry Hamlin and Alan Rachins went to war for three glorious weeks I loved it. Why did Larry Drake have to spoil that for everybody?

cardinal biggles likes this.
  14. cardinal biggles

NYPD Blue is one of my all-time favorite shows (like if I was going to do a list, it would definitely be in the top five), so I was a little taken aback by your inclusion of just those episodes. But now that you've explained their significance for you, I can respect that.

15. Foxhot

I was waiting for most of NYPD's annual box sets to come out, then they seemed to stop releasing them for a few years.
    I think I have the first six years or so. Eventually the complete series was finally released.

It was never bad, but I'm so partial to HILL STREET I suppose I wanted NYPD BLUE to me more like it, with additional regulars, but less shaky-cam. Because of time issues and the weekly Sipowicz beatdowns I simply stopped watching regularly. I did see the final episode, though.

I also have to give Bochco credit for hiring replacements from SILVER SPOONS and SAVED BY THE BELL without compromising the general integrity.:cool:

16. cardinal biggles

Both Rick Schroder and Mark-Paul Gosselaar turned out to be good additions to the show in its later years; sadly the writers screwed the pooch on Schroder's character, having him go off the rails his final season. I understand he wanted off the show to be with his family (his wife had suffered a miscarriage), but the build-up to his exit, and then how they wrote him off... shit.

17. Foxhot

I'm glad Franz became the #1 with lead with Smits' departure. But poor Sipowicz lost a son, two partners and a wife. That's a lot even for 12 years.

18. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

No Twight Zone? I did enjoy seeing Homicide getting some love. Jason

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

1001001 likes this.
  20. Foxhot

They have fun learning what they don't know.
    Are there other PRISONER fans out there, Australian or otherwise?