Jedi Accuses Supermarket of Discrimination

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Luminus, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, you just can't make this stuff up!:guffaw:

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

One one hand, he was kicked out of the store technically on the basis of his religious beliefs.

On the other hand, those religious beliefs also say he's a Jedi.

:shifty:

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If he was a real Jedi, he would've just "told them" that he didn't need to remove his hood. :lol:

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That is not the Jedi way, young one. Jedi do not allow their emotions to cloud their judgment in such trivial matters. For falling to your emotions, to your anger, will lead you on a path to the dark side.

Perhaps he should be a Padawan instead of the leader...

5. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

Touche!

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since when does being a Jedi require you to cover your head? A religion that has readily available canon and he can't even get it right.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

And here we have one of the reasons I stopped going to conventions and have pulled out of fandom for the most part: People just take this stuff way to seriously. Stuff like this just gives me a "okay, that's just fucking creepy" vibe.

Fine he wants to believe like a Jedi, have fun, more power to him. But don't expect people to take it anymore serious than people take fans that like dressing up in Stormtrooper armor or Starfleet uniforms.

8. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Your all missing out on the best bit - Tesco's FULL reply:

"He hasn’t been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods…Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood…If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they’ll miss lots of special offers."

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/19/lol-tesco-supermarket-accused-of-discriminating-against-jedis/

9. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Out in public? I don't know. Who the hell knows what their religion entails.

10. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

He was correct about the hood vs veil thing tho.

11. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My point was, as the supermarket pointed out, Jedi are on record as being out in public in anything from their ceremonial robes to lighter vest to casualwear, battlegear and, in Aayla Secura's case, not much at all. I'm perplexed that even with hard, taped evidence otherwise, this guy manages to come up with rules not in the foundational material. Then again, I suppose it's been a few decades now, which is about how long it takes for other religions to go through that process.

Yep, one of the reasons why I've always been against legal religious exceptionalism. You can justify just about anything under the rubric of faith, and legal exemptions on the basis of religion amount to being able to say "I don't follow the rules others do because I've decided not to" and getting government sanction for it. Then government has to come in and start declaring which faiths are 'legitimate' and which are not, violating principles--and in some cases actual legal requirements--to neutrality in the religious sphere.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Tesco totally kicked his ass. Some Jedi he is, doesn't even know his Star Wars characters ...

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, if Obi-Wan can take his hood off when he went inside the cantina, then this guy can take his off when inside a Tesco.

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I dare the store owner to show this kind of discrimination to a Sith Lord.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this guy's Jedi robes were 501st approved. They got some strict standards.

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm as big a nerd as they come. But even I want to give these 'Jedi' a good smack.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  17. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

This response wins the Internet.

18. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Far too strict. Rebel Leigion too. ... same thing, different side of the coin.

They go off on me for not having a cloak made of XXX fabric, I go off on them for having a mass produced lightsaber hanging on their belt. (my own lightsaber for costuming is a custom piece, 1 of a kind.. made it myself. That usually gets em to shut up.)

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That's an awesome reply.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that is truly Tesco's reply they completely owned that guy and I'm rarely on the corporate side of things.

I hear the Sith are more annoying than the Jedi but at least there's only two of them.:)