Janice Rand's hairdo in HD

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by SonicRanger, Jul 13, 2009.

1. LeahBoBo

LeahBoBo Commander

I hated Rand's hair. Actually, I didn't like Rand. She was about as annoying to me as Chapel, and I found Chapel EXTREMELY annoying. As for Uhura, she was always pretty sexy looking. But I'm not surprised to hear her do was a wig either; it was just too much hair, too thick, too glossy and too perfectly coiffed.

2. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember wigs being worn that much, but I can remember "falls" and "switches," which were artificial clumps of hair that you'd wear to augment your real hair. I never wore any - I was too young (and never was really into fake stuff anyway) - but I can remember teenagers and young women doing so.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus she had those subtle red streaks.

4. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Loved the big hair from the 60s and 70s! Got a lot of hair myself but never had enough for a lot of those 60s hairstyles. I would've felt much better if I'd known it wasn't all theirs!

When much younger I did the Princess Leia hair buns (ala Scotty Dog's avatar! :guffaw:) never quite managed the look even when my hair was down to my waist - I remember thinking Leia's hair must've been down to her toes!

5. JustKate

Even in the days when ladies were supposed to have long hair, they used switches and forms and all that jazz, Oldstred - even Victorian ladies with hair well past their waist used them in order to create those elaborate hair styles that were in fashion. (They had "hair savers" in which they put combings so as to make switches from their own hair so they'd match exactly. Really. Practical, but a bit icky if you ask me.)

Which was to me a real disappointment but also a relief when I had long hair. I managed some pretty nice styles, if I do say so myself, but never anything like you'd find in old photographs. Eventually I found out why - not only did I use only the hair still attached to my head, but I never had a maid to put it up for me, which of course all middle-class women did.

6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

That's why I'm glad I came of age in the early 70s. None of those goofy-assed hairdos, just long, straight hair parted in the middle and hanging free.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In the case of a water landing, Rand's wig could be used a floation device.

8. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

More to the point, could you imagine what Rand would've looked like if she had to put on the TOS-era spacesuit... Mightly tight fit, I would think...

9. Forbin

That's pretty much my favorite hairstyle of all time. Kinda the 60s hippie-chick look.

Then again, I wouldn't have kicked Farah outta bed for wearing her patented hairstyle.

10. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just know that in the not-too-distant future, The Big Bang Theory is going to find some excuse to put the gang in TOS uniforms (to go to the oft-mentioned ComicCon, or whatever). I have a secret desire to see Penny (Kaley Couco) dressed up in a red TOS miniskirt/uniform...but would having her wear Rand's beehive be too much? Would enough of the audience get the gag? Or should they go for the easy laugh and dress her up as an Orion Slave Girl? Somehow I don't think Penny could be pushed that far.

11. KimMH

I think I'd rather have a maid than a lot of hair these days . . .

12. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I have 2 say wig or no wig she still looks hot in them pics i,ve always had a thing for Janice !!! :eek::alienblush:

13. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'm assuming that wasn't a 1960s thing, but further back. In the mid-60s, and 1970s, we were solidly middle-class and no one I knew, even in the better part of the neighborhood, had a maid. At best, some had a woman come in once a week to clean.

I rather liked Rand's hairdo, even though it was highly improbable. It looked futuristic to me when I first began to watch Star Trek.

14. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Janice Rands basket hair was horrible. I really hated it. Made her look utterly stupid to me.

15. marylizz

marylizz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like Rand either. But I must say, I was always rather fond of Chapel. I didn't know her hair was fake... but I suppose I can see it easily now that I know.

16. Possum

Possum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since I've been re-watching TOS for the first time in a long time I've really noticed the wigs too, which I hadn't as a kid. Especially the Chapel and Uhura ones. It seems like they'd have a good one for a few eps then switch to a different one that didn't look as good- not too consistant- but I guess there isn't a reason they should be. I hadn't heard about the wigs going missing before.

Speaking of wigs and makeup in 60s and 70s westerns- that is probably the one reason I never really cared for "The Big Valley" -that show more than most drove me nuts. Even as a kid I thought the younger women on it looked so fake that I couldn't believe they'd be living on the frontier. :lol: The only one who seemed like she could tough it out was Barbara Stanwyck. Plus it didn't have someone like Ross Martin on it to make me forgive them for it.

17. Forbin

Hey now, don't be dissin' Audra Barkley!

18. JustKate

Oh, yeah - much farther back. The last time, as far as I know, that middle class women (1) generally had really long hair and (2) usually had a maid to help them put it up was probably around 1890!

I thought it looked kind of cool and futuristic, too, really. Fake but cool. Better than fake but ordinary, IMO.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  19. KimMH

I always wondered about Uhura's earrings. I never got to wear hoops when I was a kid and I envied her for that! It occurred to me once or twice those, plus that ear piece/comm thingie must give her a pain sometimes! I figured out even then that it was hard work being naturally beautiful! and probably really impractical. Imagine chasing a Horta around in heels and a mini!

20. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, I'm imagining that. Keep talking.