Jadzia

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dankokoro, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I thought about that conversation when Ezri Dax pretty much picked up Jadzia's life exactly where she left off, and no one batted an eye about it.

2. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Or when Dax went after the Albino with her Klingon friends because of a blood oath from a past life.

They also forgot the Odan character from TNG that wanted to get right back into a relationship with Beverly as soon as his new host arrived.

There was some goofy stuff they added about the Trills. Like that episode with the silly ritual to bring back the personalities of the past hosts-- complete with ancient sounding chanting and all. Silly.

In many ways Trills were just another example of the forehead alien, and pretty boring, but Dax made it interesting, though she could be over the top at times.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

But she didn't though. All her relationships had changed. Sisko accepted her, but he never embraced her, at least never like he did Jadzia. Kira was no longer her BFF. And Quark was passive at best about her.

Even Julian's relationship with her was different. His crush on Jadzia and romance with Ezri was really meant to be a juxtaposition.

And the host/symbiote relationship was totally different. Where Jadzia Whatever-her-name-was (Does anyone know?) was an equal partner with Dax, Ezri Tigan was a complete subservient of Dax. This dyad shift was explored a little in "Field of Fire" and hinted at in other parts, but it was really the lit writers who explored the full weight of it. I suppose had the show run longer, they would have explored it more.

4. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I agree about her relationships with the other characters having changed but i completely and respectfully disagree with your assesment of the Dax/Jadzia and Dax/Ezri relationships. Imho Ezri was never subserviant to Dax and Jadzia was very far from being equal to Dax.

So much of Jadzia Dax's personality seemed to come from the symbiont and the past hosts, from her close friendship with Sisko who saw her as a younger female version of his old friend to her obssesion with Klingon culture, so much so that 'Jadzia' felt like a complete non-entity to me. Dax was the dominant perosnality in that relationship. Ezri on the otherhand may have been overwhelmed at first by the memories and feelings of past hosts that she was never meant to experience but once she adjusted she did a very good job and had a much stronger personality than what Jadzia ever had. She was never subserviant to Dax.

Jadzia acted as though the symbiont were the dominant personality whereas Ezri always held herself apart from the symbiont and by doing so remained the dominant personality.

5. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I believe the reassociation taboo is a practical consideration for Trill society, and not meant to be strictly applied to interactions with aliens.

Look at it this way - if joined Trills could just pick up their relationships with other Trills after a "re-hosting", then Trill society would develop into a clique of joined Trill hob-nobbing with each other for centuries. Unjoined Trill would be excluded from such a social circle; just think, how could an unjoined Trill related to joined Trill who are referencing events and jokes from two hundred years prior?

Outside of Trill society, though, the reassociation taboo doesn't serve a purpose, since most joined Trill aren't expected to interact with the same aliens over multiple lifetimes. Normally even a long-lived Vulcan might only manage to be friends with a Trill symbiont over two Trill lifetimes. The fact that Sisko knew three of the Dax hosts over a couple of decades is a rare fluke. He knew Curzon towards the end of the Curzon Dax era, and met Jadzia near the beginning of what was expected to be a multi-decade joining of Jadzia and Dax. The fact that Jadzia died and Ezri stepped in and did basically pick up Jadzia's social circle is probably exceptional in Trill society and, since they're all non-Trill, not really worrisome to Trill society either.

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Too late for fixing up my post, but I apologize for the mistake.

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

(Bane voice): Speak of the devil...and he shall appear! :evil:

(Also...you might want to read a few pages back, mate. I was already here. ;))

8. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Ezri moved back to the same place Jadzia lived and worked and associated with the same people Jadzia did. From what "Rejoined" establishes, that violates the symbiont having new experiences and should have never been allowed. Now, I can buy that perhaps the symbiosis commision was leniant on Ezri because of her lack of training. But it's definitely an inconsistency.

In "Rejoined" everyone was freaking out at the idea of Lenara and Jadzia even being on the station at the same time. Lenara's brother watches them like a hawk. Sisko offers for Jadzia to take a leave of absense. Fast forward to Ezri's arrival and no one bats an eye about her being around all these people from her past life on a daily basis, including her husband.

9. Rush Limborg

I'm...pretty sure they addressed that in "Afterimage", right after the opening credits....

In "Rejoined", as I recall...the "freakout" was over the re-kindling of the relationship. And who knows? For all we know, Lenara's bother was...concerned...about his sister "breaking," due to prior incidents.

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Accuracy is a blight on debate.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The problem isn't with Jadzia and Lenara but with Dax and Kahn. The difference is that Dax and Kahn could sustain a romance across centuries, which the rest of Trill society wants to avoid. Dax wasn't going to keep working at DS9 for centuries, so Ezri's return wasn't a problem for Trill society and it wasn't going to stunt Dax's experience.

12. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I never really liked Jadzia. She seemed way too into herself and I disliked the condescending, snobby way she talked to other people. It always felt like she talked to people like they were idiots or something. I wasn't sad to see her go and thought Ezri was much more interesting.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If I was as old as her symbiont I'd probably be a little snobby too. :)

14. Rush Limborg

^Guess we can give Ezri a lot of credit, then. ;)

15. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Jadzia for being a weird alien. Sure, I prefer Kira, Odo, Quark, Dukat and Garak as characters but they all act exactly like humans only with make-up on.

Star Trek needed more characters like Jadzia, even if the writers struggled with what to do with her. She's not greatly developed but she's still better developed than the majority of the TOS, TNG, VOY and ENT characters. I'll never get how somebody like Sulu can sit there, say "Aye sir!" for 3 seasons and be a fan favourite yet when the writers actually try to do aliens the fans tend to piss on 'em. I also like Neelix and Kes.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Sulu isn't so much a fan favorite as Takei is.

Oh my.

17. Rush Limborg

Sulu's a favorite of this fan--Takei or Cho. ;)