Jack Ryan to return being portrayed by HARRISON FORD??

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Craig, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Ford doesn't need to work. He could quite easily say goodbye to the whole business if he wanted to.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't realize the literary Jack had developed such a brood.

3. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Alec Baldwin doesn't do sequels. So when they offered him Patriot Games he said no.

I'm a huge fan of Alec Baldwin in Hunt for Red October, but, Harrison Ford was excellent in his 2 outings and Clear and Present Danger is one of my favorite movies of all time.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I was remembering "The hunt for red october" and "Patriot Games" I have to get "The hunt for red october" in the one dollar bin. I always have to leave when it's almost finished.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not true. It was a power play. He thought he had leverage for the next movie and he lost because Paramount simply replaced him with someone bigger. If he doesn't do sequels, why was he hoping The Shadow would become a franchise?

6. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fuck Jack Ryan... seriously, Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell are almost perfect for action movies yet they keep regurgitating the Jack Ryan series?
    The last thing I need to see is the Ryan family singlehandedly defeating the Chinese army using their American-bred intelligence. Gah.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Ford take on some challenging work. You know, something like The Mosquito Coast. Another Jack Ryan movie is just too predictable and easy.

8. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Probably because the scripts of the present are such crap. Also, Ford can pick and choose his own projects. He doesn't do the "revisitings" because he needs the paycheck.

--Ted

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

as far as i can see, it's 3 kids. Sally, Jack Jr. and Katie...

i musta got addled by who was where and what was going on in Exec Orders seeing as i've not read it for over a year...(not wanting to spoil anyone who intends to read EO and has yet to...)

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

He may not need the paycheck but I'm not sure he doesn't need the ego check. I think he's used to being the leading man and having leading man type roles. I think Indiana Jones and Jack Ryan may be ways to try to still be relevant while trying to hold back the tide of time. I'm not even knocking him for it necessarily.

11. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

They should get Ben Affleck and Harrison for the next one, and somehow explain that Ben was Harrison's son in the previous movie.

Just HIGHLANDER 2 the goddamned thing. :lol:

12. Aragorn

So it was Jack Ryan's son, Jack Jr., who happens to date someone with the exact same name as his mother? And the John Clark in the movie was actually John Clark, Jr.? :p

13. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

I never bought Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan. Too much Chuckie from "Good Will Hunting" crept up into that role...

Bring back Harrison. If he's still got it, then he's still got it. :)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Come again? :confused:

15. rType

rType Commander

Or they could simply rename the characters and admit that Affkleck's film had absolutely no relation to the book upon which it was supposedly based.

16. Aragorn

The post above me jokingly wanted to retcon Sum of All Fears and just claim that Affleck was Jack Ryan, Jr. to get Ford back. So thus was my response.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I still find it funny that 2002's The Sum of All Fears was suppose to be a re-launch of the Jack Ryan movies and a new franchise for Ben Affleck, and boy how that panned out for him. :lol:

In the same year, Matt Damon does The Bourne Identity -- another CIA-related thriller -- that had no expectations and ends up being a huge franchise for Damon.

I just gotta wonder if Damon and Affleck are at all competitive.

18. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

^^^

One wonders whether it was Matt Damon who wrote the script for "Good Will Hunting" and that Ben Affleck just signed his name on it...kind of like Ronald D. Moore writing "Star Trek: Generations" and Brannon Braga just being the typist on it.

Doh! :D

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The similarities are interesting and make one go "HUM".

Still Paramount could've gone forward the #'s for Sum were quite good. Sequel worthy numbers at any rate and I don't recall why they didn't move forward. Affleck is largely known as a non-sequel actor. He nixed another turn at Daredevil, another sequel worthy franchise, so he may shoulder some responsibility.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually preferred Baldwin's Jack Ryan over Harrison Ford's performance. In any case, I'm not too hip on another Jack Ryan movie, especially after the last one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.