News Jack McCoy returns in the upcoming season of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Nth Doctor, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Dammit man, don't jynx it! :lol:

That would be a horrible way to go. :(

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Really now? Facts aren't really on your side.

The last five seasons of the show, and the 7.2 million was on Fridays.

That's hemorrhaging viewers? It's also at the time when people stopped watching TV live most viewerships of shows were down. The 18th season with the 10.7 was the 38th most watched show that year, better than the first few seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_&_Order#Ratings

I'm hoping they cancel SVU next year. Then do a 10 part miniseries of the original where it states with a two hour big trial, and at the end of the second hour McCoy is killed off and the rest of the miniseries deals with that.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Except we were talking about the 20th season. Try again. I also noted that SVU is getting the ratings that got Vanilla canceled, but SVU is delivering them consistently with almost no fluctuation.

4. bigdaddy

You said it was hemorrhaging viewers for years when I just showed you it was pretty well constant besides Friday night in the 20th season. But try again.

Also comparing a show's ratings today vs 10 years ago is silly because no one watches live anymore.

5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why are you hankering to kill off Mc Coy??
    A truth seeker and advocate for justice,a great tv character.IMO Jack deserves to live happily ever after.(After all,there was outrage when another favorite tv character was brought back only to be killed off unceremoniously....eh? Jim Kirk?)

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought Jack simply retired from the position of District Attorney. Either that, or he ran for re-election and lost. (Forgive me, I don't exactly know how the position of DA is filled. Is it an election? Or does, say, the Governor of New York appoint him?)

In any case, I hope Michael Cutter took over for Jack. Because Linus Roache. :techman:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  7. Timby

It's an elected office (remember, there was a long-running subplot of Adam Schiff having trouble raising funds for his campaign, and McCoy had Cutter and Rubirosa be the first signers for his nomination).

Losing four million viewers qualifies as a hemorrhage, yes.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Was L&O losing veiwers at a fast rate than other shows in a smiliar time slot?

9. Timby

At the time, yes. The show was very nearly canceled after Season 17, and it was only picked up after Dick Wolf agreed to huge budget cuts (and Sam Waterston had to eat a pay cut, too, which is why McCoy got kicked upstairs to the DA's office). Location shooting is expensive, and that, combined with pay escalators for the cast, meant that Vanilla was a very pricey show that didn't bring a lot of results for NBC.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think I remember reading that Waterson pushed for the promotion for his character as well.

It was a shame it was cancelled it seemed to be finding it's feet again somewhat after a couple of lacklustre seasons.

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

At least we got resolution about van Buren's cancer.

Random_Spock likes this.
  12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

In terms of SVU I haven't watched it for several years, for me it just doesn't seem to be the same show it once was.

13. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea I liked the original L and O's series finale. Tied things up pretty well and gave some closure.

14. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have gone the other way. When Jack McCoy was introduced it was with the knowledge that he went through a series of affairs with his assistants. It is SVU, not the entirely murder based mothership. Bring him back as the perp when someone in his past says that she didn't actually want to be with him.

bigdaddy likes this.
  15. bigdaddy

They kind of had to. She announced before the show was canceled she wouldn't be back for another season.

And Jack McCoy was never perfect and it be a fitting end to the show with his death. Was it someone he raped, bring in the SVU characters, was it someone he pissed off, bring back old guest stars and characters. There is just a ton to do with his death.

I don't give a damn Kirk is dead, but falling off a bridge is lame. Killing McCoy could bring a lot to a great min series and I care more about the story than the character.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be worse than what the Mission: Impossible movies did to Jim Phelps.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have said ripped from the headlines myself