It's been a while...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Rob Hal, May 20, 2009.

1. Rob Hal

Rob Hal Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey all!

For those of you who don't know me, and that might very well be all of you, I'm a poster from an era long, long ago (I'm talking Clinton days here... Chretien days for my fellow Canucks). Figured I'd stop by for a short visit and see who still wandered these old sacred grounds.

I have to admit that things don't seem to have changed too much around here... in terms of general content at least. The site looks pretty much as it has for years since the switch from beautiful, clean, crisp, blue to hideous, messy grey (yes, I'm still bitter). Certainly, in some forums, the topics have not changed in the slightest. I can go into the TNG forum and read threads that contain the exact same discussions that I read years ago. Of course, the posters discussing those topics have changed. I browsed just a few threads to see if I recognized any names and I can't say that I've seen very many (a few of the ol' staffers)... I look around and there are noobs as far as the eye can see. (can I still refer to all members who registered after Dec. 31 2000 as noobs?) Additionally, I noticed that I've been demoted in rank (truth is, the administration here has always had it out for me, took any chance they got to shoot good ol' humble Rob down). My post count seems really small around here nowadays... kind of funny all things considered.

Anyways... there's a point to my posting! I thought of something while working on my thesis today (grad student translation: playing mindless web games). It occurs to me that it has been just over ten years that site has been around. So I decided to pop on over and see if there was any big, momentous anniversary celebrations planned? (a little slighted that I have yet to get a gold-lettered invitation in the mail... again, damn admins...)

So any big party planned, or did I miss it? And what has been going on here for the past, say, five years or so? Fill me in on all the important going-ons!

Rob

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hello!

No party, but you're right, it IS now about 10 years. :eek:

BTW, you can have Blue back, by choosing that skin from somewhere in your User CP options. Consider that your welcome back present. :p

3. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

There's also a dropdown at the bottom left of each page with skin options, I think.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The dropdown is at the bottom left of the screen. Choose "Something blue this way comes."

It definitely makes the place feel like home!

Also, I vaguely remember that you existed, but I can't remember much else. Welcome back!

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Welcome back. [​IMG] You don't know me, because I'm a noob. An all-powerful Moddish noob, but a noob nonetheless. :D

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I remember you! A little anyway. I don't think I had yet joined the staff at the time of the Christmas Day Massacre, so if you left around then I might not be familiar.

7. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Good to see you again Rob! :)

8. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Premium Member

I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT ROB HAL.

9. Rob Hal

Wow! This is just fantastic! I feel like I've traveled back in time!

It's not quite the same... the board is still a little over cluttered with useful features and practical options and extravagant smilies and what have you. Making things a little too convenient if you ask me... what's next? Are you going to try to tell me that moderators no longer have to log into some off-site control panel and navigate a unintuitive labyrinth of menus, thus sacrificing their entire weekends, just to delete a thread or modify a post title? (Now that one goes way back... but someone's gotta be able to back me up on this!) ;)

Ah... good to be back.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^All that useful stuff is such a nuisance, but at least it's pretty!

11. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Hi! Rob, Just so you know, I'm a noob, but I CLEARLY out rank you!:D

12. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

Mmm, not any more, I think.

Hi Rob. Think I remember your name from my pre-registration lurking days.

Seen the movie yet?

13. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Hi, how are you? I remember you. I didn't post much but I was Mike of Romulas.

14. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

This is what it used to look like? I remember it differently. Hmm...never knew we could change the look. Learn something new everyday.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, it's about as close as we can get to the old look. I love it.

16. Rob Hal

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

18. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Moderator

Wow! I've just taken a quick look, and T'Bonz is the only name I recognise!

Old or new, always nice to see more folk on the BBS, so welcome back! :techman:

ETA: I tell a lie, I've just taken a look at the fan-fiction forum and there are threads by our own RevdKathy and RoJoHen!

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Jamahl Epsicokhan is the only one I don't recognize. What's his story?

20. Rob Hal

Hell, that's Jammer... he's the only one who's still a mod from nine years ago!