Is there collaboration between STO and Novelverse?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Tzenkethi1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Tzenkethi1

Tzenkethi1 Ensign Newbie

I either like conformity managed or complete freedom. If another author chose to write a Tzenkethi centric novel and depict them as they appear in STO, I would ok with it and actually welcome it. If creative freedom is a main objective, I would prefer there to be no restrictions. If multiple authors wanted to have very different portrayals of the same species or character it would drive more stand alone stories anyway.

2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't have a problem with STO, it's the effect on memory beta that annoys me.

ryan123450 and Leto_II like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

memory-beta appears to be barely maintained anyways

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Memory Beta? You mean Capt. Mike's private playground?

Leto_II and Idran like this.
  5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Memory Beta is still being maintained, and it's only somebody's personal playground if few participate.

It appears more active than STOwiki.

6. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I write for videogames as well as working on books and during the years Star Trek Online has been, uh, online, and I did have a few conversations with folks at Perpetual Entertainment (and later Cryptic Studios) about working with them but it never panned out. I still play the game now and then; recently I had a go at the new console version and it's always cool to see a reference to one of the novels in it.

Yeah. Originally, I'd planned to come up with a name for their species. I was going to called them the Ciari, after Brian Ciari, the actor under the 'fish-monk' make-up in "Schisms"; in the end, I used his name for the dissident faction in the novel instead.

Indeed. I was asked by CBS to put in the Solanae ref, and I was fine with that. Despite the differences, the novels and Star Trek Online still spring from the same roots, so it works for me.

Leto_II and Markonian like this.
  7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

While I'm a big TrekLit fan I couldn't get into STO. I tried. I really really tried. It's probably just my lack of skills. I created a hunky Andorian male captain I was really pleased with, I enjoyed the shipboard adventure....and then I spent hours flying my ship in circles, completely lost and miserable. My understanding is that the bulk of the game is ship piloting, which was my least favorite thing by far of the ship. By the time I gave up on it I was sick of it and never wanted to go near it again.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I played STO a while back, and I was enjoying it quite a bit. I ended up getting stuck in a ship battle for a few days, and then got distracted by other games. I'm mainly a console gamer, so now that it's on PS4 I've been thinking about giving it another go. I was actually enjoying the story elements quite a bit, it was very different from STO, but still good.

9. Tzenkethi1

Tzenkethi1 Ensign Newbie

10. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

There is wiggle room on the Borg...in game, we are simply told they have returned...but not where from. They also seem to be closer to shatnerverse Borg origins...v'ger ships. Between recent in game events (temporal incursions) existing similarities (Vesta captained by Ezri, the Picard and Riker children) and the future setting of STO, it's still not entirely impossible to one day bring the two closer in line...there are a few big things mind you, of which one is the Tzenkethi.

When I was in an RP fleet I just had my character be a Trill with a symbiont from the novel verse. Worked for me as I didn't know the game lore half as well.

borgboy likes this.