Is The Cage canon?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Aike, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Because the producers of the show said so. 'Canon' is not a function of the story, it's the other way around. If the producers say "this isnt' part of the old canon", and both Berman and Braga did that, then that, quite simply, is that.

That's why bitching about ENT's continuity issues with the other series was always a bit silly, because on day one, we were told 'this is a new timeline, and you can blame First Contact on it if you want'.

2. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

It's THE first ever STAR TREK episode, so ya I would say the CAGE is indeed canon! Plus for being over 40 years old it's story holds up supriseingly WELL!

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't know that, and it's pleasant news.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Must have missed those statements.

5. Vance

In God's name HOW?

There was a huge firestorm back when they said it, and that was the reason they gave for not calling the show "Star Trek" when it was first on. How can anyone who has been here any length of time possibly have missed that?!

6. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is how I missed it. After DS9 ended--when I was 13 and, fortunately for everyone's sake, did not post on the Internet--I stopped caring. When ENT arrived, I couldn't watch it and my grief over not having it beamed to my TV was rapidly assuaged by the reviews. However, rewatching DS9 on DVD brought me back into the fold so to speak, and I became more interested in Star Trek as a whole. Little to my surprise, I found ENT bad but trending toward decent near the end, and I disliked VOY as much as I did back when. On the plus side, I watched TOS for the first time in years, and it's still delightful.

7. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Cage" is in fact the *only* Trek that is cannon - the entire rest of the series, movies and spin-offs were just an illusion faked by the Talosians!

8. Nerys Myk

Oh I remember all sorts of firestorms based on what fan think producers, writers and PR hacks saying. Mostly wishfull thinking to avoid things the fan find uncomfortable.

9. Vance

No, there was an actual documented statement that said that. I don't remember which of the pair had the definitive statement, honestly, but that was the original purpose.

Of course, I've long maintained that continuity was the least of ENT's overall weaknesses. The fact that it took all the bad aspects of all the previous shows, and precious little of the good, trumped everything else.

10. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

GREAT! so now your telling me I have spent HUNDREDS of hours AND dollar's watching nothing more then an illuusion created by SCROTAL HEADED ALIEN'S!?!?!?!...Now it all make's sense! :lol:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  11. Nerys Myk

I think you're conflating a couple of different statements about various things regarding Enterprise.

Continuity (internal and external) was pretty strong in Enterprise. Possibly the best of any of the shows. Which might not be saying much. ;)

12. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has probably already been said but the scenes that are in "The Menagerie" are canon while the scenes that are not are in the category of "cutting room floor deleted scenes."

13. Vance

Not really, people forget what 'canon' means. ENT had its own canon, created by the safe of its show, naturally. It was not, however, the canon used from TNG through the end of VOY. And that, in turn, wasn't the one used in TOS. And TOS, as we know, overhauled theirs three times within the first few produced episodes.

Whether or not things follow a continuity, however, is a completely different question, but it's not a statement of 'canon'. Fans obsess over that term a hell of a lot more than the producers and writers do.

14. Nerys Myk

I know what canon means. Its just the collected works (of what varies) that are offically recognized by those empowered to do so.(In this case Roddenberry, Bennett, Berman, Abrams, Paramount, CBS...) Enterprise is part of the Star Trek canon as determined by those in charge at the time of its creation. All the live action TV shows and movies were part of that canon.

Continuity is about keeping things constistant from episode to episode, series to series and movie to movie or combination of the three. New information or unknown information isn't always a violation of continuity. That can only happen if there is pre-existing information that it conflicts with. The "wiggle room" for this can be microscopic or the size of the universe.

Nothing about canon there.

15. Vance

That wasn't the statement. I was specifically about tying to the original series. But, it's been *muttering about old age* some years now. Not a huge deal for me, personally.

16. Nerys Myk

Then why bring it up?

17. Vance

Thread... title... 'canon'... 'cage'...
    Norman! Coordinate! NORMAN!

Screw you, Norman! I'm phaser-zapping these illogical bastards!

18. Nerys Myk

Berman and Enterprise have what to do with the Cage? Seems to be slightly OT.

19. Vance

They have nothing ot do with the Cage, but they did get to define what canon was. Hence, it answered the question. Why are you being so difficult?

20. Nerys Myk

Did they? Quotes?

ETA About Enterprise having its own canon. Or is outside of other Trekcanon