Is the bridge at a funny angle?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Doyle, Dec 17, 2020.

1. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

And in the reunion (single-camera) TV movie, Oscar moved back without leaving the apartment.

Which looked a lot like the apartment Oscar shared with Felix Ungar in 1968.

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't that open area where Luke trains usually designated as a "forward cargo bay" or something similar? I just assumed that they weren't carrying much cargo on the way to Alderaan

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only passengers, Obi-Wan, the boy, two droids, and no questions asked!

dupersuper and BK613 like this.
  4. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

Yet another example of interiors not matching exteriors is Number six's residence in the Billage

A long time ago, I joined a "Prisoner" fan club which simply meant I got a newsletter or magazine quarterly and could by merchandise by mail. One thing I got was a number six badge. There was a certain validity to this because in a family of eight kids, I'm number sixc.

Anyway One thing I certainly bought was a map of the Village, that is, the Portmerion complex, it was supposed to match the larger, colored map the storekeeper handed six in the first episode. It was fun to see where all the places were relative to one another, like number six's place and the green dome, number two's place. I know I checked but I can't remember if the window six looked out in the opening sequence really looked out to the view he had but I imagine maps of the place are online now.

Regarding "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", the interior of the flying sub did seem to fit in the exterior with one problem, the hatch at the back of the flight deck opened directly outside which begged the question of where are the frickin' engines associated with the exhaust thingies on the back of the exterior?

back in the late '80s, I got a scale model kit of the Flying Sub which had detailed interiors, you could lift the top off to see the inside. Well, on this model, the hatch at the back of the flight deck opened into another compartment at the back end of the sub containing the two engines and another hastch between them to the outside.

I don't know if the proportions were correct but on this model the interior and exterior did seem to roughly match the show aside from the problem I mentioned above.

Robert

TREK_GOD_1, Scott Kellogg and BK613 like this.
  5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been to Portmeirion. A footpath goes right through the middle of where No.6's extended apartment would be. The front room (before that wall retracts into the ceiling) would just about fit though.

6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the Falcon is a freighter in the same sense that the F-117 is a fighter, meaning not really. The Nighthawk has no missiles or guns, but it was given the F- designation because they wanted elite, hotshot pilots for the program, and those pilots wouldn't be interested in flying a bomber, which this thing was:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

Or maybe the Falcon is intended for cargo that's super-high value and relatively low-volume. That would explain why it's so compatible with a fighting role in space battles. The Falcon is like an armored car.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No one says a freighter has to carry a lot of freight. There are plenty of small airplanes that carried freight. For all we know, they might secure small freight in the main hold where Luke practices getting zapped in the butt.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  8. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have often wondered how if someone built a replica of a famouse television house how they would fit the interior sets within the exterior sets, and/or matte paintings, and/or real buildings used to show the exteriors, because in many or most cases the sets would not fit in the exteriors well..

Fo example, I have often wondered how to fit the interior sets of the Addams Family 1964-66 mansin with the exterior depicted by a matt paintng and part of areal building.

And I have often wondered how to fit the interiors sets of Colllngwood in Dark Shadows 1966-1971 within the exterior depicted by stock shots of Seaview Terrace/The Carey Mansion, Newport, Rhode Island.

And I have contuned to notice such descrepancies and floor plan inconsistencies in many of the sitcoms I have watched in this mellenium, so it appears to be sandard tv practice to not design the interior sets to match the matte paintings, real buildings, or exterior sets, used to depict the extiors of the houses or apartments. This may be a case of the right han nd not knowling what the left hand is doing.

Of course, I only tend to notice such descrepencies in shows whch I watch a lot, so I don't know what proportion of tvs shows have inconsistent architecture.

9. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Adam R. Jones has made a comprehensive study of the Bewitched house, both the interior (sound stage) sets and the backlot façade. He reconciled the two, which required some decisions, and produced a full set of architectural plans:
    https://www.bewitchedhouse.com/plans/index.html

I just think that's fantastic, because I caught the bug for this house as a teenager and produced tons of my own drawings. But he took it to another level.

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I loved Married With Children and recognized pretty early that the exterior couldn't possibly match the interior. Further, usually the Rhodes/D'Arcy house is next door, but sometimes across the street. Sometimes Marcy's bedroom is right across from Al and Peggy's bedroom window, sometimes across from Bud's. The only consistent thing is that Bud's room is on the other side of the house from Al and Peggy's.

(A few months ago I stumbled over a website where someone had done a TON of thought on the Bundy house.)

--Alex

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  11. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't agree. I have done comparisons of the bridge set and the model exterior at the same scale, and the bridge fits quite well as built, in a 947' ship matching the 11-footer. The key is that the bridge sits lower than you might expect, just as depicted in MJ's section view, and it is rotated 35.5 degrees counterclockwise from center. The turbolift is pretty much the right size and distance from the center of the bridge to fit into the "nub."

And there is little question that the "nub" is the turbolift housing and the bridge is offset in the TOS E: When Phase II rolled around, MJ, gave the bridge two turbolifts, and provided two "nubs", while turning the whole assembly to face forward.

Of course, the Enterprise of your imagination can be whatever size or configuration you wish it to be. I am replying to the position that MJ's intended configuration CAN'T work...

M.

Henoch and BK613 like this.
  12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Understood. I just like TOS ships to be a bit bigger than any vessel afloat now…I was on the battleship Alabama in Mobile as a teen. Within an hour I had raced through most of it…and it started to seem small

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice observation.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I think of the nub as a dock where you can take the turbo lift out of the ship. I was thinking about putting a nub on the 1/537 refit as a huge escape pod

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Rick Sternbach has said that was the purpose of the nubs (well, nub-equivalent details) on Voyager's bridge, that in spacedock a turboshaft gangway could connect to the ship there and you could use the lifts to go directly between different parts of the ship and the station (which is also a fun head-canon explanation for the weird turbolift in "These Are the Voyages;" the -D stole a cab from a starbase at some point, but there were so many cars in circulation you didn't have much chance of ever seeing it. Or you can just be a reasonable person and pretend there is no such episode as TATV).

BK613, PhotoBoy and publiusr like this.
  16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

You had the good ol' Aurora model, first issued in the 1960s, then reissued by Monogram after they acquired the Aurora molds. It's since been reissued many times by many model companies. More recently, Moebius models released a brand new, much larger 1/32 scale model. It has a complete cabin interior, but leaves the engine room a mystery, tho it does have an s-shaped corridor leading to the stern hatch.

My good ol' Aurora kit:
    http://www.inpayne.com/models/scifi/flyingsub.html

My Moebius kit:
    http://www.inpayne.com/models/scifi/fs1-m1.html

17. Scott Kellogg

Scott Kellogg Commander Red Shirt

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's three 18-LED strings of Christmas lights from Target :lol:

BK613, danellis and Scott Kellogg like this.
  20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's amazing how model/miniatures can be enhanced with low cost solutions like that.

Scott Kellogg likes this.