Is Picard's Chateau French enough?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Arpy, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Is Kirk's cabin from the Nexus sufficiently "real" enough? I mean, come on. The oregano in THAT cabinet and that far from the stove? And who keeps the TOS Enterprise bridge dedication plaque next to the kitchen?

2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the "oregano" in Raffi's kitchen isn't for cooking.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure I see the humor in this particular nitpick, or most nitpicks that pass as "in good fun" nowadays. :shrug::sigh:

4. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

When you start having a care for other’s feelings is when I’ll start having one for yours.
    You’re incorrect. They didn’t need to just pick a vineyard. They needed to pick one that fit. It fit so-so, so they’re judged so-so.

And you haven’t addressed the interior which is a set.

I’m here to ask a question and being harangued over being observant? Whatever you’re bent out of shape about, that’s what the only thing I’m bent out of shape about.

Then why are you here?
    I started the thread to learn more about French and set design. That others lost their minds over it is their problem and has earned a triple Picard facepalm in my book.

5. fireproof78

Then maybe lead with that in the opening post. Because, rereading it, it comes across as a wonderful cheap shot at the production team. And, frankly, the production team doesn't owe us an explanation. :sigh:

If it is only "so-so" on the set design then why a thread about it? Chalk it up to the apathy that clearly the production doesn't give a shit and move on...:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Jedman67 and Agony_Boothb like this.
  6. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It fits just fine. It's a house surrounded by fucking grapes what more do you want?

I don't care about the interior. It could be a set or a real house i legitimately do not care. It looks like the inside of house surrounded by grapes.

You're not being observant, you're picking nits over insignificant details. Picard having a house that isn't french enough or whatever has no impact on the story being told.

Jedman67 likes this.
  7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)

Heh ...
    "Feelings" ... Really ???

How about just a tiny bit of perspective there Arpy ...
    It's Just A TV Show.

You wanna get all bent out of shape over the look of a FICTIONAL House, that's certainly your prerogative, but don't go all emo just because few other folks don't consider it as imperative as you apparently do.

There's being nit-picky and then there's just being over-the-top absurd.

I'm extremely persnickety about the look of the original Enterprise, but I don't get all bent outta shape when others around here say it sucks or the look doesn't matter.

I realize they are not attacking me personally.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    fireproof78 and Agony_Boothb like this.
  8. Arpy

Or how about we have a fluid conversation about stuff? There’s nothing polemical in the way this thread was started.

Nor do we owe them strict adulation? I don’t get what this is about. You’d think I just said George Lucas Raped My Childhood.

Because, again, I was hoping people would be able to point out French props or aspects of architecture I was unaware of. Ask someone about ship distances and they dust off their math degrees.

I was hoping I was wrong and would learn something new. Golly gee, I suuure am sorry mister.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

I understand where you're coming from, but don't you think it's just a bit unrealistic to have that kind of expectations from a Imaginary Science Fiction TV Show?

Do you truly believe that the Producers are going to go that far out of Their way to depict something from 300 years in our future?

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Look at modern French architecture. It doesn't always echo 17th or 18th century French buildings. After the fire of 2371 Marie Picard may have replaced the damaged sections of the building or wider estate with then-modern designs that didn't necessarily reflect a centuries-old French architectural sensibility. Not all buildings in 22nd, 23rd and 24th century San Francisco look "American."

Times change. New owners often decide to try a different approach when it comes to upgrading or replacing parts of a building.

11. fireproof78

Between the title and the OP there sure was enough.
    Well, that makes two of us. But, hey, hyperbole is always great...
    And several people pointed out how villa architecture can vary.
    Again, this wasn't clear in the OP. So, without that clarity the thread proceeded accordingly. No surprise there.

In a post-scarcity world with replicators I would imagine that redecorating would be even easier.

12. Arpy

To know why you’ve been here for eight pages. You’ve offered nothing to the discussion but attitude. I am being observant about something you don’t care about. Move on.
    You’re reading way more into my mindset than is there but are also being rude about it. So I don’t care what you think.

13. Arpy

If you think the title is polemical, I want to ask you in what tone of voice you read it in. The problem for me is more trends in fan board behavior than what’s on the page.

14. fireproof78

I stated it was a combination of the two. Again, there is no indication of seeking information. There was a question then a statement of an assumption. That's it.

If it wasn't the intent then clarity is helpful. As I said, I got no impression that this was a fact finding thread.

DaveyNY and Agony_Boothb like this.
  15. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll read and contribute to whatever threads I want. This is a discussion board. Don't create threads, if you don't like people disagreeing with your point of view. And maybe next time, be clearer about your intentions in your initial post. If you genuinely wanted people to point out aspect of french architecture in the set design, you could have lead with that instead of something that sounds like a pedantic criticism.

SJGardner and fireproof78 like this.
  16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Heh ... perhaps you need to review your posts ...
    We can only go by what you've actually posted, not what you're actually thinking.

From our perspective, you're the one who started with the attitude when it became apparent that some folks didn't agree completely with your conclusions.

And for the record, I was not intentionally being rude.
    There is such a thing as lite-banter when it seems that someone is being a bit over the top with their reply's.
    If you believe that my 'whine' emoji was impolite, then I apologize for that.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Agony_Boothb likes this.
  17. Arpy

Further, I don’t see this discussion going anywhere. Some useful insights have been offered and thanks to all who participated. I’m going to wait for the articles or books to come out on the props. If the moderator would like to close the thread, that’d be fine by me.

18. Arpy

I opened a topic for conversation. What happens in a thread? People start talking about something and before you know it, you have links to eighteen pages on the decals on the original Enterprise. Maybe I’ll reread the thread later, but for the time being I’m chalking this up to contemporary snark run amok.

19. fireproof78

Well a quick google search gave me these two French chateaus:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second one is located in La Barre, France, which is supposedly where Chateau Picard is located. It has a far more contemporary style, but the brick construction is evident.

The upper one reminds me more of Chateau Picard in style. Both are close enough that to my eye they are likely inspiration for Picard to have the Chateau designed to suit his tastes. Since his family has owned the vineyard since the 23rd century there is no reason for Picard to keep it to one style.

Hythlodeus and SJGardner like this.
  20. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

I live in Hungary and I can confirm that not every Hungarian town looks like Hollókő. In fact, the outskirts of Hollókő don't look like Hollókő.

And just for fun, this is an honest-to-God Buddhist monastery in the same area I grew up in. In Northern Hungary. In rural East-Central Europe. Rotate the street view and you can even see a typical Hungarian town just behind the trees. I think a postmodern Italianate villa in rural Bourgogne-Franche-Comté fits in just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.