Is Federer's reign over tennis over?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Vanyel, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

After his loss in the Australian open, where he was completely dominated, is it now the age of Djokovic?

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

It's been the Age of Djokovic for some time.

3. Vanyel

It's been awhile since I've followed tennis, but whenever I've watched recently, it's always been about Federer. How long has Djokovic been the #1?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Since July 7, 2014

5. Vanyel

Damn, I have been away too long. Last I watched Federer and Nadal were slicing their way through opponents.

6. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Federer could still win a slam but we've reached the point where it would require Djokovic and Murray (Nadal when fit) to be entirely out of form. Wimbledon might be his best chance.

7. Vanyel

Well, I've never liked Federer. I don't know why, I just don't. Nadal I like, and what I've seen of Murray I like. I don't like Djokovic (except for how he man handled Federer at the Australian Open.) and I don't know why. It's not because he's the #1 player, I've liked plenty of #1 players.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Djokovic has dominated for at least two years. Federer is what, 33 now?

I'll always root Federer though. I remember watching him win his first Wimbledon He was magician-like in his semifinal and final wins. I said then: "He will break Sampras' grand slam record." He was that much better than every other player it seemed like a forgone conclusion after just one major.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it feels like we've been in this current age for at least three years.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I remember when Agassi was getting a bit older, people asked him after almost every tournament when he planned to retire. Like, starting when he was 30. Federer is 34 and nobody seems to be asking him that. Is Federer too magic to ask him about retirement or did the analysts actually learn their lesson that the audience hates that?