"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. But that doesn't mean I want a Iron Man movie without Iron man. It means I want a movie with RD Jr playing his version of Iron man. This time it was less that and more RD Jr playing a Shane Black character.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the movie, and I had a fun time watching it. But in the end it just didn't engage me on the same level the other Marvel movies have so far. I'm sure I may get hell for this, but I enjoyed Iron Man 2 more than this, I felt Mickey Rourke was a much better villain over Guy Pearce.

And as for the Mandarin switch, I have no connection with him in the comics, not read a single Iron Man story that features him, and yet I was disappointed with the "twist." He was being built up as this scary terrorist that seemed very real based on past events and yet was still a bit of fantasy, then they take that away from us and give us another businessman in a suit.

Like I said though, I enjoyed watching it, there are actually quite a few bits I really loved. Namely Iron Man saving the passengers of Air Force One, that was a moment where I wanted to stand up and cheer. I also liked the assault on Stark Mansion, complete with Pepper wearing the armor for a time. I also loved all the references to The Avengers and how Tony had to deal with the aftermath of that.

I think this is a movie I definitely need to see again, as it's troubling that I can talk of so many instances that I enjoyed from the movie, and still have mixed feelings on it.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think this is the best explanation about what was going on with the Mandarin.

I don't remember the world "Ten Rings" even mentioned once in IM3. I'm still sticking with my theory that the real Mandarin is out there somewhere.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^I didn't notice it overtly mentioned either, but the Mandarin's logo (put on screen when he was interrupting TV broadcasts) included ten rings.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect that somewhere in the various rewrites/editing they lost an explanation that Killian had been funding the 10 rings all along. that's why killian made the comment that he had always been the Mandarin and why he had the dragon tats in the final scene.

6. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

It can't have been five years. More like just over three years. IM3 is definitely set in 2013, and IM2 was set in 2010, but it was also set "six months later", so IM1 must have been set in 2009/2010, not 2008.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for not standing up.

I was sitting right behind you.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Great scene. But I found it a little odd that he saved everyone who fell out -- and forgot all the people still onboard who died when the plane blew up.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Wasn't everyone else on the plane pretty much dead?

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

And that is really my biggest gripe with the the film.
    That in the grand scheme of things I'm supposed to believe Killian has orchestrated everything/anything involved with the terrorist group The Ten Rings. It's not what Favreau and Feige said in interviews during IM or IM2. They were building to The Mandarin....as the central threat.
    Then in interviews for IM3 Feige revealed how Shane Black approached him with his idea for the Mandarin and he approved the change......so changed from what I can only guess was a more true take on The Mandarin as the legit threat.

If Killian is in charge of AIM and it's funding I'm going to believe he's not giving any tech, even in smaller doses, to his 10 Ring army scattered about. They are having to steal Stark tech? It's just a disconnect in the grand scheme of it as an arc.

It's still a fun movie and I've seen it three times cause despite that, rather big gripe for me personally, it's still a really fun and engaging film otherwise. B/B- grade

11. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Above average

it's a good popcorn flick. definitely better than 2. it's not the film I was expecting though.

I didn't see the Mandarin twist coming at all, and it was done really well. The actual reveal was a riot. However, it also let me down that we didn't get the comic version. In the end, this movie has the same major problem the others have. The main villain is lame. The trend continuing was a big letdown.

I can't believe I actually stayed for the after credits sequence. That was fucking horrible.

The rest was good, but in the end the only Marvel flick I like less than his one is IM2. I really hope they give Iron Man films a break for awhile after this. Iron Mans boring rogues gallery has tired me on the franchise. The films we got were good, so Marvel should quite while they're ahead.

12. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I was the Mandarin, I'd have a little dick like Killian to make up a fake me so that I could take everyone off guard later. That only really works if someone were already sniffing around my 10 Rings clubhouse though.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that was my problem as well. Instead of the truly scary and unique threat posed by this uber-terrorist The Mandarin, we get just another guy with a grudge against Tony, who's got the superpowers of a second-rate X-Men villain.

14. Pavonis

Why were some people disappointed that Kingsley wasn't the Mandarin? What would make Trevor Slattery's "Mandarin" more scary than Killian's "Mandarin"? Blowing up more stuff? Killing more people? Having a different agenda - perhaps world domination, or killing all of humanity?

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Because he was something different for a change. In the first film sure we got terrorists, but ultimately it was Jeff Bridge's character who was the main villain (guy in a suit). In the second movie we had Mickey Rourke as a variation on Whiplash, he was pretty cool, but then we find out the main villain is Sam Rockwell (guy in a suit). Finally we get this movie which seems to promise us something different...and yet we end up with Killian (guy in a suit). Yes each villain has some variation and something to make him different, but what it all boils down to is a guy in a suit.

16. Pavonis

So a petty terrorist would have been a better villain? What kind of challenge would that have posed for Stark?

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Because he was being built up as an even scarier version of Bin Ladin-- who could blow up Tony's mansion on a whim, hack into our computer systems, kidnap and murder people on live television, and cause massive explosions without leaving a trace.

You weren't sure how he did what he did, and it got you thinking that maybe he was more than just a standard terrorist, and maybe had some kind of otherworldly power or ability we didn't yet know about.

18. Pavonis

How was "the Mandarin" built up as a scarier version of bin Laden?

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

In a business suit maybe. The problem with IM has always been that his villains kind of suck. IM is more well known as a member of the Avengers.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I would say the main villain of IM 2 was Vanko, not Hammer.