Intrepid Class Starship/Arleigh Burke-class destroyer

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jeffmw078, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Jeffmw078

Jeffmw078 Ensign Newbie

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you all think with a view upgrades could the Intrepid Class Starship be a Starfleet version of the US Navy's Arleigh Burke-class destroyer?

2. Jeffmw078

Jeffmw078 Ensign Newbie

Sorry I meant few.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Your second pic isn’t showing.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Might be, if we say that the Saladin class destroyer of the previous century was the Spruance: a ridiculously oversized pseudo-cruiser built around a "common hull" so that future junk could be crammed in as needed.

Intrepid would then be the similarly sized ship that is filled to capacity with nice-to-have gadgets straight off the slipway. Except for one thing: Intrepid never was short on shuttlecraft facilities, while Burke originally was handicapped by lack thereof!

Timo Saloniemi

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

What?

:shrug:

saddestmoon, BillJ and NCC-73515 like this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps you could explain the equivalencies for those of us who aren't that familiar with naval vessels?

Kor

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, this is a comparison of Voyager and The Last Ship?

BillJ likes this.
  8. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

I'm familiar with naval vessels (going back a few millennia) and I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is...so..?

I'm guessing the idea is that the U.S.S. Voyager (i.e. Intrepid class) could be used as a mass production design intended to fill the role of a large destroyer or small cruiser type of starship. That's not impossible.

If you did intend to do so, keep in mind that fitting a ship out for multiple missions (as an Intrepid would be) would reduce its potential effectiveness in some areas. Basically, the more variety of systems you try to cram into a small ship - the less you can focus on a particular mission or - you have to make that ship larger to give it the room for better capabilities.

The Intrepid class is a bit larger than the old 23rd century Constitution class starships (either the original or refit) and has a fair bit of space. If you are wanting to create a serious combat focused ship from that platform - sure, I suppose that would work but, I would probably go for the smaller Defiant class for that. Cheaper to thump out in quantity (and remember boys and girls 'quantity has a quality all it's own'). The Defiant would be more agile and also would have a small crew requirement (not that the Intrepid's were bad there) and is built specifically for combat.

BillJ likes this.
  9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He meant few, not view.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that clears everything up.

(It doesn't)

11. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*ba dum tish*

12. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I mean the Intrepid design may just be good enough for 'Warp Dynamics' that it may just become a template for future designs, thus why it keeps reoccurring. Future Star Trek classes do seem to edge away from a circular saucer to triangular hulls, even the weird time-war designs. On a smaller ship who can't just 'force it' with a bigger warp field/plant/we, it may help with the energy costs.

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I can see the addition on a pylon on the strongback for attaching specialized modules as with the Nebula class, a feature seen on a couple of the Voyager early sketches. This would allow for extra equipment without impacting interior volume and with a swapout to a BFG weapons pod you suddenly have a great combat vessel

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    publiusr likes this.
  14. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I honestly think that's just because someone in the staff likes the look.