Independence Day - Resurgence

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JarodRussell, Jun 23, 2015.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a badly done scene but Friend? I just took it that they were lovers but it was done in a way that audiences like the Chinese could ignore.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that made me smile for that exact reason.
    To be honest, I was confused as to the exact nature of their relationship, as the death scene is the first one to overtly indicate they were more than friends. Yes, with the implication they are lovers it is possible to look back at their other scenes throughout the movie and see little hints here and there, but it still feels like it comes out of the blue in the death scene that if anything it's just as distracting as the whole thing of "are they being serious or is this for laughs?" In fact, having them be lovers makes it even more strange that there's a comedic undertone to the scene.

3. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They had a " In Memoriam" for Robert Loggia in the end Credits, he was briefly in the movie.
    My only beef was a possible goof, a bunch of High ranking officials including the president were sent to Cheyenne Mountain, but didn't the first attack take out that complex in the first movie?
    Other than that I enjoyed the movie.

4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Maybe they had rebuilt the complex and hardened it even more to withstand attacks..

5. The Wormhole

Yes, that bothered me too. In the first movie, the Vice President and Joint Chiefs go to Cheyenne Mountain, which is then subsequently destroyed by the aliens. Here, the President and everyone in the Line of Succession go to Cheyenne Mountain, which is subsequently destroyed by the aliens.

I have no problem with the Cheyenne Mountain base being rebuilt, that would presumably be easier than rebuilding cities within twenty years. But it clearly isn't a safe place for people to hide from alien attacks.

Or maybe it was destroyed in this movie as Devlin and Emmerich's attempt to make a dig at the Stargate franchise?

bigdaddy likes this.
  6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching Maron. Judd Hirsch was there this week as the worst father tin the world. (Nothing on Youtube.)

"So AA? You're back at that cult, what's the rate of success, how many of you end up living in storage locker?"

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Being they created Stargate I wouldn't call it a dig. Just a shoot out.

8. The Wormhole

Allow me to clarify, a dig at the Stargate TV franchise, which they speak of with disdain in the DVD commentaries for the first movie. Also, the Stargate being housed in the Cheyenne Mountain base was actually introduced in SG-1, in the movie it was within the fictional Creek Mountain base.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh I know they hate the shows, but never knew it took place in 'Creek Mountain". So yep it's a dig. :lol:

Jokes on them. Their movie bombed and SG-1 went on for 10 years.

Grendelsbayne and The Wormhole like this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Devlin and Emmerich are probably jealous that SG-1 is a bigger Stargate franchise than the film ever could be.

I mean, when people think of Stargate, they hardly remember the film, do they? Everybody connects "Stargate" with "SG-1". I dout Emmerich and his ilk are very happy about that.

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The part that cracked me up about that whole sequence was how the White House was spared, but the flag pole on top fell over :lol:

12. Gingerbread Demon

The flag pole got in the way.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking that if there is a final film to this trilogy, it wil be on the 25th anniversary of ID4

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Saw it. Not as good as the first but I find it nice to have a continuation of a narrative from 20 years ago.

I like the advanced human technology. The space fighters and directed energy rifles were awesome. And I liked the aesthetics of the buildings utilizing reverse-engineered Harvester technology.

So much pandering to Chinese audiences. Oh well, I will take the measures the movie made to avoid being completely U.S.-centric.

That guy who kept trying to draw Levinson's attention to an interview or whatever was annoying. He should have just died instead of earning Umbutu's respect.

Jake's friend Charlie was annoying too. Whyever the hell would he assume that Rain would go right along with his imaginary plans?

Julius and the kids get from Florida to Nevada within one day's daylight. Via highways while the worst panic in 20 years is happening. No way.

I suppose I had to enjoy the fight against the queen in her building-sized biomechanical suit. Was not expecting the movie to have a giant monster element.

I'm confused about the social structure of the Harvesters. First Levinson theorizes that the mothership in the first movie must have had a queen aboard. Then when they meet the sphere it states that no one has ever killed a Harvester queen before. And when they finally kill the queen, the drilling ship stops and retreats. Which would imply that Harvester soldiers need a queen for direction and thus there must have been a queen offscreen in the first movie. Right?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  15. Gingerbread Demon

Possibly, though without any other evidence by the writers we would never know..

Still bugs me that they would just pack up and run if the Queen is killed. Why would you do that when you have the advantage?

I theorized that the first attack in 1996 was just that their first attack and their hopes were pinned on that, but when that failed this second wave came in answer to their distress call.

Also with that why do both the bad aliens and good ones see the distress call in the form of the President's speech? Did the aliens pick that up and broadcast it?

16. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Also, the sphere's words indicate that there is more than one queen. To me, that is flawed terminology. A species united as one structure should not have multiple "queens". Their supreme leader should be the "queen" and her commanders should be called something like "sub-queens". That would make more sense.

I imagine that the Harvesters' supreme queen is the leader of their species and her daughters are the fleet commanders.

Broadcast signals bleed into space. Presumably for sake of convenience, it was intercepted by both good and bad aliens.

17. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was another thing that bugged me. They were literally seconds from Earth's core, then all of a sudden, "Oh shit! See ya!"

18. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no particular reason the harvesters have to be united as one structure (although the way the alien prisoners talked about 'her'/'she' would make sense in that light) - they could just be separate hives that don't really interact, except perhaps to share information (or just to spy on each other in case there's an opportunity for a juicy morsel that another hive fails to capture). That might also be just enough justification to explain why the original harvesters went catatonic or kept fighting for years when their (presumed) queen died, but the new ones just turned and left.

The movie seemed to clearly indicate it was being rebroadcast by the alien ship in africa. I think you pretty much just have to chalk it up to a standard hollywood moment of drama>logic.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Especially considering the limited gas, Julius' slow driving (both pointed out in the movie), and part of the drive was in a school bus.

The whole confusion with the queen and social structure of the hive is reminiscent with how poorly Voyager mangled the Borg.

That bugged me as well. Who recorded the speech and how did it get into deep space? It made no sense beyond wanting to reuse the iconic speech.

20. Gingerbread Demon

Well it's a pretty silly distress call if that was it's purpose.

"Hey guys this guy whippped our asses. Here's his iconic speech he used to rally the natives. Come help us"

ThunderAeroI likes this.