In Which Two Episodes . . .

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by albion432, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I thought there were two, and he nerve pinched one guy and then threw the other guy down the fake Enterprise corridor.

2. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I’m going with Court Martial and Alternative Factor. Scotty seems to be missing in action from Engineering during these episodes.

3. Spock's Barber

Yes. I still wonder why he didn’t nerve pinch both of them. :crazy:

4. Phaser Two

But does he miss the chance to REALLY get to know another important member of the crew?

5. Phaser Two

1. In which two episodes does Scotty miss clear chances to get to know (and quite well, potentially) one of his shipmates?
    2. In both - and there are only two that fit the description I'm thinking of - Scotty is key to the plot, or he could have been at least.
    3. But Scotty doesn't show up in time.
    4. Even more weirdly, they talk about Scotty - and it's with regard to the same sort of situation with which he can help.

6. Spock's Barber

Yes. Lt. Masters and Lt. Cmdr. Finney.

7. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

How about The Changeling and A Taste of Armageddon?
    1. Scott spends time with Uhura and even tries to save her.
    2. Scott fights off the planet and Fox, then dies and is raised from the dead.
    3. Kirk defeats the foes in both just before Scott gets into the action.
    4. ?

8. Phaser Two

Think much more important.

That's good, but not the combo.

1. In which two episodes does Scotty miss clear chances to get to know (and quite well, potentially) one of his shipmates?
    2. In both - and there are only two that fit the description I'm thinking of - Scotty is key to the plot, or he could have been at least.
    3. But Scotty doesn't show up in time.
    4. Even more weirdly, they talk about Scotty - and it's with regard to the same sort of situation with which he can help.
    Scotty also misses the chance to get to know or interact with a lot of really key, fundamental aliens.

9. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah.

10. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who Mourns For Adonais and Lights of Zetar? :D
    JB

11. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know McCoy asks Spock to turn over command to Scott in Journey to Babel... I think that's the only time he is referred to when not featured in said episode....

12. Phaser Two

Aaaaaaaand final clue . . . Vulcans!! Other ones!!

13. Methuselah Flint

Yes Amok Time as well!

Phaser Two likes this.
  14. Phaser Two

Good job, MF! Yes. In a coincidence that has always interested me, Scotty does not appear in either of S2's "Vulcan Episodes," AT and JTB. By that time it was a little unusual for Doohan not to be in episodes; most of the ones he missed in the series came in S1 before they realized his potential in the role. So Scotty misses the chance (on screen) to interact with Spock's planet and family, not once but twice.

Moreover, both episodes mention Scotty in dialogue, and in each case, the lines concern Scotty taking command from Spock, due to Spock's supposed murder of Kirk in AT and the need for Spock to participate in Sarek's surgery in JTB. AND in each case, the handover never happens because of deception by or involving Kirk and McCoy.

Just a bizarre coincidence. Or they recycled the AT idea in JTB. In any case I'm glad both episodes mention turning command over to Scotty, even if he never takes the conn or even shows up onscreen.

MF - speaking of, you have the conn!

Spocko, Henoch and Methuselah Flint like this.
  15. Methuselah Flint

Great!

1) In which two episodes do we open with more than one exterior shot of the Enterprise, shots that don't directly connect? (Not TOS-R)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  16. Phaser Two

Tomorrow is Yesterday and Wink of an Eye. (This assumes that the question includes interior shots.)

17. Spock's Barber

Tomorrow is Yesterday and Return of the Archons, assuming you mean the opening act and not the teaser.

18. Methuselah Flint

Sorry, I've edited the clue to be more specific - I meant exterior shots only. If Tomorrow Is Yesterday counts, then I mean two more ;)

19. Methuselah Flint

No, the teaser itself. The first shots we open with.

20. albion432

albion432 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks a lot Phaser Two . . . in one fell swoop you exposed two "In Which Two Episodes . . ." games I was saving for my next two turns! "In which two episodes did the Enterprise go to Vulcan" (admittedly a pretty easy one) and "In which two episodes is Scotty mentioned but not shown." The funny thing is, until your game about Scotty, I hadn't realized that they were both from the same two episode! So you can imagine my surprise when I read your post above, especially that it "has always interested me." All I can say is that it has interested me too, but only for the past 24 hours or so. Kudos to you for having noticed it some time ago; some of us are just slower on the uptake than others.:techman:

Star Trek is certainly full of these "bizarre coincidences," which also inspired this game. Don't worry, I have many more "in which two episodes" yet to spring on you all . . .

Phaser Two and Methuselah Flint like this.