in Déjà Q, do you feel like the enterprise crew is a bit too mean

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WildManWizard, Aug 16, 2019.

1. WildManWizard

WildManWizard Lieutenant Red Shirt

to Q? I am definitely biased though as I think they needed Q to take the starch out of their shirts

2. BigDaveX

BigDaveX Captain Captain

The last time they met him, he indirectly got 16 of their crewmembers killed; I think that alone would be enough reason to treat him with extreme caution to begin with.

Ríu ríu chíu, Lance and penguin44 like this.
  3. Santa Quark

Santa Quark Admiral Admiral

No. He had it coming. Up until then he had spent his life tormenting people for his own amusement.

4. Sakonna

Sakonna Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My issue with "Deja Q" is a bit of the reverse, how casually they gloss over the suffering/torture of the Calamarain.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a bit unrealistic nobody inflicted any physical harm on Q - say, gouging his eyes out or removing a couple of limbs. But, evolved future humans and all that.

The Calamarain issue is pure hearsay from the POV of our heroes, from the mouth of the God of Lies no less. It's not as if they could do anything but gloss it over.

Timo Saloniemi

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Didn't Guinan tell him to fork off?

Farscape One and Terok Nor like this.
  7. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They treat Q like crap every time he appears. He seems to like it that way

8. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kinda think some Starfleet department would immediately seize Q and study him for info rather than let him wander around or sit in a brig, and it would be their top priority

9. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds like a better episode than the one we got.

10. Santa Quark

Q only picked human form because the Enterprise was the only one of his victims that values life enough not to murder him on the spot.

PT109 likes this.
  11. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that the crew was as mean as they were and not meaner was nicely human, they weren't paragons of virtue and they didn't just ignore his misdeeds to them, while not going too far and being consistent with them generally yes being idealized.

ThankQ likes this.
  12. Santa Quark

I think they were downright saintly agreeing to protect a criminal from his victims even to the sacrifice of their own safety.

13. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

The fork deal was too much. I'd try to be more engaging.

The real missed opportunity--the Q who became human so he could die in Voyager? He should have been hooked up to the machine graves downloaded his memory--but not personality into:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Schizoid_Man_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Voyager would have their own Nth degree data bank--plus with the brief warp 10 flight of Paris speedboat shuttle--that'd give them a leg up.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say there was a lot of restraint shown, as a mark of their dutifulness. I'm thinking mainly of Worf here. I'd think if he actually thought Q was mortal, he'd gut the sucker lol

That's the other thing. For a good portion of the episode. They clearly think he's bullshitting them. By the time they figure it's true, they are having to deal with the blow back, while lives hang in the balance.

Reason enough to at least be perturbed, which is how I'd describe most of their behavior... Except Data. That dude is goddamn saintly. It's a wonder he hadn't sacrificed his own life sooner than he did, after seeing him put his ass on the line for what is essentially a monster

As for the fork, it's pretty well assault, but given the circumstance of there being a question about what's true, & given Q's known lethality in the past, you can't really argue that it was entirely unwarranted. Although, I might have just kicked him in the shin myself, to gauge the reaction lol

15. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

You people are all big meanies!

DonIago likes this.
  16. Spicy Thunder

Spicy Thunder Lieutenant Red Shirt

Any of y'all think that Q could come back in Picard? If he does, anything could happen.

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Premium Member

A bit mean?

*Ahem*

[​IMG]

18 deaths later... How did Q put it? "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here."

I like Q, but sympathy for his plight as a mortal? He got off *very* lightly.

18. Mojochi

All tolled, they took him in, did no harm to him, released him from incarceration (Despite him having been criminal toward them) in order to allow him to contribute to the mission, gave him a great deal of liberty to move about freely, protected him, & rendered medical aid to him more than once... in other words, saw to his well being as if he were anyone else they cared for.

I'd say that despite being a bit justifiably grumpy toward him. They were remarkably good to him, so much so, that even the giant narcissist himself recognized and acknowledged it by the end

19. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

After the fork stab, his hand seems perfectly fine throughout the entire episode. Did Crusher fix it, I don't remember now.

20. Mojochi

It's never shown, but I guess you have to assume so. I mean she showed up to fix his back spasms... in person. That never made sense to me. Is the CMO showing up for every ache & pain on the entire ship? I remember Riker walking his half dressed ass down to sick bay for BROKEN RIBS in The Pegasus

Come to think of it... His forked hand never even bleeds during the rest of the scene. He just rubs it a bit & presto. Maybe that other Q fixed it, & Q was too inexperienced to know the difference.