Importance of tech in today’s trek

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Paul Weaver, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Commodore Premium Member

I was reading my TNG tech manual this morning. One footnote grabbed my attention - how Gates McFadden was a stickler for getting medical procedure as accurate as possible, and tricorder operations were built around this. I recall Wil Wheaton saying similar things in the past regarding conn.

Do Discovery actors have similar views? I’ve had the feeling there less emphasis on the details of technology than there was 30 years ago, but I’m 30 years older so maybe it’s me that’s changed.

Does the modern franchise have people like Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda working on it? I also get the feeling that something has changed between season 1 and 2 when it comes to technology.

2. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but it certainly feels like there's less internal consistency to the way Discovery strings Star-Trek-words together than there has been in the past, never mind its use of real science, which is elided to the point of being metaphorical (seriously, it would've taken, what, five seconds to say "Stuff can be alive in our dimension as well as another one"? But instead they just got self-serious about implicitly-subspace mushrooms to the point where it's treated as a joke in the second season).