I'm trying to figure out which movie has the gang making contact with a new planet...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by KM4CCO, Sep 7, 2017.

1. KM4CCO

KM4CCO Cadet Newbie

Hey,
    I'm brand new to this discussion board. I'm a fan of Star Trek, but I'm not the guy who knows much about it. I just enjoy watching the shows and the movies :-}

Okay, so I'm trying to remember which film it is that has the crew of the Enterprise approaching a new planet to contact the resident culture there as extraterrestrials. Seems that this planet had recently tested a new space engine that would allow that culture to join the ranks of those who can travel the Universe like in the Star Trek stories we all watch.

I think that it was Riker who was injured during the initial approach and he got mixed in with the indigenous people of the planet. As he was being taken to the hospital, the "locals" noticed some strange anomalies on his person, such as that his hands were very different from theirs.

It turns out that, when all was said and done, the government of the planet decided to not inform its people that there was extraterrestrial contact and to go on living their own private lives on their own planet, a choice that they were within their right to choose and that the Star Trek gang respected.

The thing is, I'd really like to check out that movie again! I loved it because of the parallels to our own planet and the supposition that this kind of thing could happen to humankind here on Earth. The society that the crew of the Enterprise found was very much like modern-day United States, and the whole premise just set my mind to wandering--imagine being those people, or maybe we ARE those people!

Does anyone remember this movie? Please inform :-}

Josh

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

BillJ likes this.