Poll If they admitted it wasn't PRIME?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 21, 2017.

?

If they admitted DSC wasnt PRIME...

1. Don't care

87.6%
  2. The show would be ruined

12.4%
  1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

How about we just stick to the subject matter of the thread instead of criticizing posters based on their past threads that were picked up by io9, mmkay?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Kemaiku, saddestmoon and Gonzo like this.
  2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Which is fine, except that they too often omit the "to them" part. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think people would also get into Trek being treated like comic books or James Bonds pictures. In fact people I think would enjoy being able to compare things like who is their favorite KIrk kind of like how you get to pick your favorite Bond or your favorite Batman. Also , even though people thought it was crazy when I mentioned this awhile back, I see the day when all the Trek elements will be mashed together like in a big blender to create something even more unique. I see the day of a Black KIrk who has female Data as his science officer and the Vulcans are are a skilled warrior race that has no emotions. Some major overhaul of established elements with only nods to the old stuff like maybe the Enterprise still looks kind of the same.

Jason

Agony_Boothb and Greg Cox like this.
  4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s my big problem with all of this TruFan BS. Trek is many things to many people and no one has the right to define it for another fan. But yet, here we are...

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess i'm coming across as pendantic, but whether I enjoy something or not, it doesn't mean it is "True Trek" or not.
    Dang it...ninjaed.

6. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pfft, I can think whatever I want. What are you Xindi Nazi? If B&B can create a "valentine" (these are the voyages... biggest slap in the face to any star trek fan) and still call it Star Trek, then I sure as hell can decide what is Star Trek and what isn't. And if I decide that this STD turd is not in Prime universe, then who is going to stop me? The writers, the producers? Pfft, I say. Double Pfft on you sir

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is what they said.

8. fireproof78

That's what @WarpFactorZ said in the post you quoted. O_o

9. Feron

Feron Commander Red Shirt

No one will stop you from believing and thinking whatever you want, but if said beliefs and thoughts are not supported by the facts then you risk marginalizing yourself when discussing this with others.

The simple fact is that Star Trek is the intellectual property of CBS, etc. They get to define what is "official". You can create whatever alternate timelines and fan fictions you wish, but when talking to other fans if you try to pretend that what is officially in the Prime universe is not all that you will accomplish is muddy the waters and creating confusion amongst those with whom you are discoursing.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That might be the problem. It is iffy on if it is working right now. It could not work very easily at this point, and at that point is really isn't Star Trek, just something that is pretending to be Star Trek for money, as oppose to it working and actually earning that money for being Star Trek and truth in advertising.

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

The Kelvin movies were great, hoping for a fourth.

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I think he has worked out your secret.

Even though you have plastered it all over your avatar so it shouldn't be difficult.

Does it pay well by the way. ;)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  13. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I remember it well, good times.

Of course what really made us all say it was big was because you could see it was just by looking at it.

14. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm one to accept this is a visually different representative if the prime universe... either that, or the Mushroom Kingdom.

Itsa me: Tardigrade! :devil:

15. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I was going to post to this thread that the outright design changes in Discovery are a much bigger issue because all they did in the Kelvin movies was make the Enterprise bigger, the designs/names/styles did not change.

I just noticed the almighty Pumpkins request so I will go no further.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Oh no, that's fine. Go ahead. I was just concerned with a poster bringing up one of King Daniel's threads that got picked up on io9 as a means of criticizing him.

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The essential problem with prequels. The Star Wars prequels were designed to show the rise & fall of the Jedi order, Anakin Skywalker, and even Padme, but no one really cared because we already knew the Jedi were largely killed off, the twins' mother dies, and Anakin became Vader, so his prequels journey was of no importance when his future as a monster was already established. Prequels made decades after the fact only create more problems of inspiration (never as strong as the original work), art direction or motivation.

plynch and Rahul like this.
  18. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We'll be having none of that free-thinking nonsense, especially being right after someone told you to go ahead and do just that. Defiantly doing something someone encouraged you to do is a brave move, indeed.

Grendelsbayne and Gonzo like this.
  19. fireproof78

If the characters are done well, then it can work. Difficult, but not impossible.

Though, I'm also the guy who enjoys watching sporting events even after knowing the score, so what do I know?

Rahul likes this.
  20. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here is one way to think of it. I think "Discovery" is part of canon but not part of the shared universe that the other Trek stuff is unless they create a logical leap that makes sense. Having Nimoy in the Kelvin Universe did that. If "Discovery" starts dealing with alternate universes like "Sliders" or "Fringe" then that is their connection because people can just see it as another alternate universe.

You can even have fun and say it's in the universe we see in "Paralles" on TNG were the Borg destroyed the Federation and RIker was a madman trying to shoot at Worf's shuttle so they wouldn't be sent back or if you want to have a more pleasent outlook you can say it is in one of the universe's were they threw Worf a surprise birthday party, which didn't happen in the Prime universe.

Jason