Poll If they admitted it wasn't PRIME?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 21, 2017.

?

If they admitted DSC wasnt PRIME...

1. Don't care

87.6%
  2. The show would be ruined

12.4%
  1. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. It's just a badly structured "Yes or no" question: If it isn't prime, would that ruin the show?

87% answer "No." You can enter a hundred thousand caveats to that point but no means no.

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's not the question. The question is whether admitting it would ruin it; that's different.

3. Crazy Eddie

"Would admitting it isn't prime ruin the show?"
    19 say Yes
    126 say No

All the rest is details.

saddestmoon, Gonzo and F. King Daniel like this.
  4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The phrasing of the question is also slanted. "Admitted" assumes that the show is NOT Prime and that there's something to be admitted. As opposed to, "Would you care if the show wasn't Prime?" or something along those lines.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    zar, Vger23 and Longinus like this.
  5. Crazy Eddie

^ Well, it's a hypothetical assumed in the question. For me (and apparently most of us who voted "no") we're happy to just have Star Trek back on the air and fully recognize that our own headcanons will fill in most of the gaps anyway. How it fits into the overall canon of the Star Trek universe isn't as important as the show actually being good on its own. IF it's good, we'll find a way to make it fit (Yesterday's Enterprise, Past Tense, Minefield, Sleeping Dogs, etc). If it's not good, we'll probably just pretend it never happened (Threshold, Code of Honor, Angel One, that stupid episode where Beverly went on vacation and started messing around with her grandmother's ghostly boyfriend and I can't remember the name because it was terrible and I only watched it once)

Rule of cool, Star Trek style.

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Sub Rosa"

7. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is not. I for one didn't vote at all. I'd prefer the show to be prime, but if it is not, I'd prefer them to say so. Which way should I vote?

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

this seems to be the perspective of the filmmakers as well, except that they made the mistake of stating before the show aired that it's set in the prime universe and have spent way too much time promising us that all of this will all slot into canon.

this show has got to find a way to back itself out of the prime universe, especially if the rumored spinoff comes to fruition.

9. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of the millions (including myself) who've seen Discovery, less than 2,700 liked it?

10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Literally everyone hates Discovery. Discovery is the Bin Laden of television. I'm surprised it wasn't cancelled and ripped from the service 3 min into its initial broadcast.

pst, Gonzo and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rumored spin off?

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard rumours of a Khan spinoff miniseries set post-"Space Seed" and a Captain Pike/Spock show.

No idea if there's any truth to any of it.

13. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd heard the khan one. I don't see any reason why such spinoffs, if true, can't be in current continuity though.

Recasting shouldn't automatically mean reboot, so long as the casting decisions are sensible. Like wise, the set updates.

I'll take the spock /pike spin off with a pinch of rock salt, but I'll give it the chance it deserves if it does make it to my TV.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still waiting for the Scifi channel original miniseries to come out.

Vger23 likes this.
  15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

this is from the discovery renewed for season 2 thread:
    take it with a grain of salt, but it echoes something i was told when i was trying to get a job on discovery during the fuller days. i didn't. and fuller left. i didn't dare ask for details, so the plot info is news to me.

if this bears out to be true, this particular spinoff series would be even more restricted by the established events of the prime timeline. hence my argument that the series needs to divorce itself of that particular corner of the franchise. but who knows? they don't seem all that concerned.

16. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If this show was not in the Prime universe, I bet some fans would complain about that. There is no winning with some people.

17. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

Probably won't matter if streaming subscribers, many of whom won't be watching the show, are subsidizing its production.

18. Crazy Eddie

That's the one :crazy:

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would actually be interested then in what happened to the spore drive, the Klingon war, Sarek and Mudd.

20. Crazy Eddie

Which is why it makes sense for this to be a "yes or no" question. Because now you're kind of equivocating: is your preference that they be more direct about continuity issues important enough to ruin your enjoyment of the show? You can (and did) choose not to answer, sure, but their being opaque on this matter either ruins it for you, or it doesn't.

If it does, then vote "ruins it." If you could still find a way to enjoy it even if they never really admitted it and just let us connect the dots ourselves -- which I strongly suspect should be the case -- then you should just grudgingly vote "don't care" while continuing to complain about it in the forum.