If Marvel would have Trek comics would they epxerience a sales boost?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Lexx Shrapnel, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Lexx Shrapnel

Lexx Shrapnel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My understanding is that Star Wars experienced that compared to the Dark Horse Star Wars comics sales when Marvel started publishing SW comics recently.

There is no rational basis for it. No offense to comics fans but it's the most irrational market in the history of all irrational markets.

If the right go to Marvel right before the first JJverse movie would the comics experience a huge sales boost?

If so, why?

If not, why not?

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Nah, not a hug one. I don't think rnough peoiple care all that much about Trek comics to make a huge impact. Then again Countdown selled really well IIRC (by IDW standards or generally?) so I could see it work before a big release. But if they just started publishing them now? I don't think the Trek comics would seel particularly well or better than previously. The dedicated market would probably still buy them, but Marvel Comics currently has an influx of space-related comics (because of Avengers: Infintiy War) and seeing that they also publish Star Wars comics I doubt a lot of non-Trek fans would devide to put even more money in Marvl space stuff.

3. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better marketing, better writers, better artists?
    I've sampled Star Trek comics and the stories didn't interest me, very subjective.

If the writing changed (perhaps under new management) my position could also change.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  4. Lexx Shrapnel

Lexx Shrapnel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe some artists are better i doubt the writing i better across the board.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The bump in Star Wars sales in the Marvel era probably had alot to do with their new status as canonical and the huge resurgence of interest starting with the Disney era.

lawman and Jinn like this.
  6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect there would be a bump, but that in the long run, Star Trek comics would never sell well enough for Marvel to want to keep the license. Tie-in comics rarely do well enough for the Big Two, which is why IDW and Dark Horse have been able to carve out a niche selling them.

lawman, Jinn and TheAlmanac like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I really think the bump had more to do with the overall big surge in interest in the franchise overall, and because they really pushed everything in the franchise pretty hard when they decided to start all the tie ins over from scratch.
    The only way I could really see something like that happening with Trek is if the second season of Discovery or one of the new movies was a huge hit and they then tried to really promote the rest of the franchise. Even if the profile of Trek goes up, it's going to take a lot to get it up to the level Star Wars is at right now.

ryan123450 likes this.