Spoilers IDW Star Trek: Deviations Comic Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Tuskin38, Dec 19, 2016.

?

Rate IDW Star Trek: Deviations

1. Outstanding

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Above Average

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I've added the spoilers marker. The poll will need to wait until this evening.

Markonian likes this.
  2. trampledamage

Thinking about it (now it is evening - or at least after work) - we don't usually do polls for the comics because the review thread is for a series not a single issue.

Is this Deviations a series or a one-off?

3. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I think Deviations was an IDW wide banner for alternate universe stories but there was only one comic per series, so it's a one-shot.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, they're doing an Orphan Black Deviations mini-series. But otherwise, for every other Deviations project, they're one-shots. :)

Jinn likes this.
  5. trampledamage

Right-ho - since there'll only be one Star Trek Deviations, I'll add a poll.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

... I'm listening.

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I thought the first issue of this series was very promising, though I do wish there was better exposition.

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It's a one shot, thus no other issues.

10. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Considering that I wrote my post completely from memory I am amazed that I got anything right :)

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They have done two The X-Files Deviations where they've flipped the roles of Samantha and Fox Mulder, so there is a chance we could get more issues in this universe. Nothing has been announced, but it is still theoretically possible, and given how this one played out I'm really hoping there will be.

12. Avro Arrow

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Romulans didn't initiate First Contact, that was a lie told by the Romulans, it was still the Vulcans, Riker 'says' that in the comic. Something happened after the TOS Enterprise launched to cause the Federation to fall based on the evidence

Markonian likes this.
  14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I reckon that something had to be 'Balance of Terror.' Somehow the BOP was able to cripple/capture the Enterprise intact, and haul it home to Romulus (with the help of other Romulan ships). Harvesting the technology from it, the Romulans then entered their alliance with the Klingons a year or so later while successfully keeping their own cloaking technology secret. Once they had D7's retrofitted with cloaking devices plus the best of Federation weaponry and warp engines, they blindsided the whole Alpha Quadrant.

As for Data's head, that's likely as far as Noonien Soong got in this universe to building him. He may have been working on making Data look more human so as not to attract the Romulans' notice.

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Damn, I confused Deviations with Mirror Broken.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where was that? I must have missed it.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pages 11-13

When Worf is holding up that door to block the Romulans it is in the 'narration' boxes

18. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

arrived and genuinely excited to read it.. Was trying to recall the last time I was excited to read the latest Trek comic..maybe Countdown? or The Last Generation.. (was thinking of buying it friday in the local comic store that haven't been in years as a throwback to how would get the Trek DCs there on a fri/sat in the early 90s but decided not to risk them not having it yet so ordered it few days ago).
    an intriguing oneshot like a 1 issue alternative version of The Last Generation ending on a striking mind blowing image full of possibilities and intrigue but at same time made me go 'OMG! that's it?!' and thinking that a second issue is required to explain all the vagueness. but thinking about it maybe not. sometimes stuff is better if left mysterious/vague than fully explained. (also abit refreshing to read a self contained 1 issue one shot as opposed to a multi issue series which will then wait for the TPB but rarely buy so eventually just end up reading a synopsis somewhere spoiling it all)dug the various references/homages - the MadMax/Nemesis dune buggy opening, Snake Riker, Kira Troi (crashing yet another ship!), end of FC/TimesArrow Data, Rikers khan-esque 'A' necklace, the ending on the space station recalled FC Picard showing Lily earth and the vast Narada interior, and of course the last page big reveal (revealing its all been something of a 'In A Mirror Darkly' mission - which ties in with the alternative universe First Contact theme). not sure of the year its set but seems to be around the Nemesis/Countdown era judging by everyones age like TLG (and like TLG would've made for a great movie)

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Markonian likes this.
  19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Off topic: Not sure if you are aware: @KRAD is writing a tie-in book on Orphan Black as well:

http://kradical.livejournal.com/3175040.html

Avro Arrow likes this.
  20. Avro Arrow