I-VI Movie Poll

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Willsky7, Jan 9, 2018.

?

Which original cast movie is your favorite?

1. I: The Motion Picture

23 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. II: The Wrath of Khan

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. III: The Search for Spock

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. IV: The Voyage Home

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. V: The Final Frontier

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. VI: The Undiscovered Country

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Jodorowsky attempted an adaptation in the mid-70s that would have been something like a 14-hour piece with 8 billion in effects, costumes, etc. I exaggerate, but that's pretty much the reason his version was scrapped.
    I saw the Lynch version once during its release and that was enough.... maybe more than.

Kol-Ut-Shan likes this.
  2. Willsky7

Willsky7 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well I understand why the studio wouldn't want to make jodorowsky's version, but it is a shame.

Kol-Ut-Shan likes this.
  3. Kol-Ut-Shan

Kol-Ut-Shan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I definitely want to rewatch TMP. Director’s Cut.

4. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

I've a soft spot for V so I'm going to be the first to pluck for it.

Just love the scenes where Sybok challenges the trio in the observation lounge. For me, it's Spocks death and these scenes that make the TOS movies.

Vger23 and marlboro like this.
  5. Kol-Ut-Shan

Kol-Ut-Shan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Gotta be the worst ST movie for me, followed by Insurrection. However, IIRC, it’s the the only ST canonical story not referenced in other canonical sources. I hope Sarek mentions Sybok in Discovery.

6. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Sarek mentioning Sybok would certainly bring it full circle. Trek V is a snooze fest and Spock dying was just an exploitational gimmick.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

As I like to say about the TMP novelization, "As a novelist Gene Roddenberry was a fair TV writer." ;)

It's a terrible book even if some of the ideas are interesting. The adolescent way sexuality is handled, the awkward writing, the foolhardiness of trying to write from the POV of the godlike V'ger... oy.

8. RColtrane

RColtrane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TMP FTW!! All subsequent movies are longer TOS episodes with higher budgets.

9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love TFF too. The Observation Lounge scene is one of my favorites in the entire franchise.

10. Admiral Kirk

Admiral Kirk Ensign Newbie

TWOK - Had it all, space battles, sacrifice, family issues, revenge, and overall plot.

TSFS - Visually stunning for when it was made, nice continuation of TWOK. A little confused that they needed to go to Genesis in the first place. I thought they coulda just went to Vulcan and transferred Spock's Katra to its final resting place. They were not aware of Spock being alive until they reached Genesis orbit. However they needed a reason to get Spock alive again and they did a pretty good job. A lot of flaws don't become obvious except under repeated viewing and the only reason to do that is because you like the movie enough in the first place. To make my point the vast majority of movies I have seen I have only seen once. (example - Practical Magic - 1, Forrest Gump - 100)

TUC - Wasn't sure where to put this, the cold war timed theme seems dated, also why would the Klingons die without Federation help? Surely they have an empire with some more planets and a fleet to move people. These just needed an Non Aggression pact with the Federation which shouldn't have been to hard since they were not at war anyway. The plot devices invented to tell the later story of Kirk/McCoy's arrest were thin. However it is still a solid movie.

TMP - Slow paced, tried replicating the massiveness of Star Wars, takes a special place for being one of the two original six movies to depict the Enterprise with a full complement of trained crew members.

TVH - Good movie but would rather see Star Trek in space.

TFF - Tons on potential, I give Bill Shatner the benefit of the doubt that it was rushed to point where it caused the quality to suffer. A quest for God/Heaven? Not sure if this is the purpose of Trek but they gave it whirl.

Its hard to rank a series of movies you love especially when everyone has there own take on them. My level of enjoyment in watching the worst or the best is surprisingly close. I love them all and would rather have them in their flawed glory than not have them at all.

Smellmet likes this.